Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«6 »
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

SlowBloke posted:

Brother or hp are my common picks. If you say color or b/w I might even suggest a model....

Oh, yeah, B/W, I ain't splurging on color

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh, yeah, B/W, I ain't splurging on color

Hp m145 or m148 depending on the budget. The letters after the numbers indicate if if there is a duplex module(d), a integrated WiFi(w) or wired card(n)

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is there a current recommendation / consensus for a reliable all-in-one printer/scanner/copier? Or a "best available" given the current ~*all this*~ ?

as one of the resident Xerox engineers, never Xerox unless you have a warranty/service plan (though they are cheap)

Charles
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom

Toilet Rascal

Any thoughts on the Brother MFC-L3770CDW?

It's a color laser AIO. Pretty good reviews.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Discussion Quorum posted:

I bought a Brother 5370DW (which I think is a predecessor or more basic version of the 5470) in 2008 and it is unironically one of the best computer purchases I have ever made, at least on a value per dollar basis rather than a fun-having basis. Doubly so after I married someone who (at the time) was WFH as an editor for an academic publisher. It's not without its annoyances but honestly it's been over a decade since I last was in a "man, gently caress PRINTERS" sort of mood.

The main annoyance was that the wifi was WEP-only, which probably isn't an issue on a newer printer. When we moved to our current place I had to put it out of reach of a reasonable ethernet cable run, so I used an old Linksys WRT54 running DD-WRT as a bridge for a little while, then put it behind a Pi running CUPS over wifi. I set the Pi up about a year ago and haven't had to touch it since except to load paper.

Thanks, is there a way to browse older models? I want a compact BW laser printer with WiFi, but at first glance it looks like the DRM racket has taken over the laser printer market.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

I want a printer so I can print the very occasional form, sign it, and email it back. Or so that I can print RMA package slips sometimes. I really don't need a built in scanner but I suppose it would be nice to have.

We had an epson inkjet that lasted about 3 years until the 'board got fried' according to some google search I did, "this model always gets a fried board' or some poo poo. The other printer we had was an hp inkjet before that, which lasted a good 6+ years.

I'm not willing to spend 200 bux unless it's a printer that will last 20+ years. Can anyone recommend anything? Failing that is there a good site to buy printers from? I glanced at newegg and saw about 1000000 printers there, but lots of them had no or very few reviews.

edit: I suppose colour doesn't matter, b+w is fine.

redreader fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 15, 2020

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

FedEx Kinkos and scanning on a phone are alternative options. Phone scans are surprisingly good these days: use an app to correct the 3D skew and colour filter as appropriate, eg the Notes app in iOS has an option for this.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

redreader posted:

I want a printer so I can print the very occasional form, sign it, and email it back. Or so that I can print RMA package slips sometimes. I really don't need a built in scanner but I suppose it would be nice to have.

There are services like dochub.com which let you upload and "sign" a PDF and save the results. I use this all the time when people email me poo poo to sign. No printer or scanner required.

Doesn't help for your RMA use case but surely you're not doing that too often.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

"You are the best poster... do not let anyone say otherwise."

You can also sign PDFs right on your computer though...

I'd get a cheap B&W laser, I haven't bought one in years but Brother seems to be a popular choice. I bought the cheapest Konica Minolta model (1300W) when I started college... over, ugh, 10 years ago and it only needed the pickup roller cleaned up.

Phone scans are definitely acceptable occasionally but the consistent lighting and flattening you get on a real scanner do make a big difference.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Welp I bought an epson ecotank (ET-2750) last month and after printing maybe 80 pages it now displays an error code and refuses to print.

Shows code E-01 and then below that the first time it included a number 000041 and after turning it off and back on it shows E-01 again with 034004.

We've already tossed out the box/packaging. I'm looking forward to the joys of the warranty process. god drat it.

other people fucked around with this message at 12:07 on May 20, 2020

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Sounds like normal printer operation to me!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

other people posted:

Welp I bought an epson ecotank (ET-2750) last month and after printing maybe 80 pages it now displays an error code and refuses to print.

Shows code E-01 and then below that the first time it included a number 000041 and after turning it off and back on it shows E-01 again with 034004.

We've already tossed out the box/packaging. I'm looking forward to the joys of the warranty process. god drat it.

Should have bought a laser.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

Counterpoint: We just bought a Brother HL-L3210CW color laser, and after 90 pages its reporting 90% on the yellow toner, and 100% on the others. Easy (though tedious) to configure wifi on the two line LCD, and cloud print was easy to setup through Chrome with one button press on the printer to confirm.

I debated a duplex-capable or multifunction machine, but for $185 it makes the wife happy to have color capability, and I'll probably upgrade our B&W laser eventually (old 2170W) to a multifunction B&W for slightly lower TCO.

I looked at the Ecotank printers at the same time, but they were more expensive for the printer, though much less expensive on the consumables.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

Bless You Ants, Blants

Fun Shoe

900 pages estimated out of the starter toners isn't too awful. I don't think I'd ever put genuine toner into those compact desktop colour lasers though, it seems like a very easy way to make yourself poor - some of them can end up costing 15p a page if you're doing colour.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

I suppose it depends on the color mix and such, but yeah. The Brother toners aren't even super expensive for the high cap ones. But replacing all 3 colors is easily 50% more than the cost of the printer itself.

That's assuming the toner is actually "empty" when it says it is. Pretty sure the little B&W laser is at 5k pages on it's starter toner still, after blocking the window and resetting the counter in the printer.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

What is it with Japan and ridiculous hair colors?

Buglord

My Brother b/w mfc laser had a broken touch screen, as in the layer that did the touch part of the touch screen literally flaked off inside the screen.
This was 2 months after the warranty period. I took it to the local official Brother repair center nearby, expecting a bill of at least 80. But because I'd put in an official cartridge they waived the fee. Like, they literally opened the door to check if it was a genuine cart before even taking a good look at the screen.

So I guess that's a thing to consider. In my case the price for a real high capacity cart was 63 vs 49 for a knockoff. Pretty good deal in this instance.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

Bless You Ants, Blants

Fun Shoe

I'd buy (and have bought) genuine toner for mono devices, but the desktop colour units seem to have reached new heights in terms of consumable pricing vs. quantity.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

"You are the best poster... do not let anyone say otherwise."

Geemer posted:

My Brother b/w mfc laser had a broken touch screen, as in the layer that did the touch part of the touch screen literally flaked off inside the screen.
This was 2 months after the warranty period. I took it to the local official Brother repair center nearby, expecting a bill of at least 80. But because I'd put in an official cartridge they waived the fee. Like, they literally opened the door to check if it was a genuine cart before even taking a good look at the screen.

So I guess that's a thing to consider. In my case the price for a real high capacity cart was 63 vs 49 for a knockoff. Pretty good deal in this instance.
Conclusion: keep an empty OEM cartridge around somewhere, just in case.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Im looking for a wireless printer with color for my home office. My gf needs the color for printing patterns since shes a costume designer, and I just need something reliable thats relatively compact since we live in an apartment. We can spend around $200. Any recommendations?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Fallen Rib

Whatever you do, do not buy an ink jet.
You won't get a great color laser at that price, but they will still be more reliable than any ink-based printer.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Colour lasers are kind of ugly output, similarly phasers which have the drawback of wonderful power usage and burning ink on power on.

$200 not going to last too long on ink, you might as well find a Kinkos.

Depends on the work flow, just for the outfit you could print in b&w but say use a zero-ink photo printer for a smaller but high quality output for reference on colour.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

We've been happy with our Brother color laser from a few posts back. Mostly printing color activity sheets for our toddler, and some of my wife's work stuff that needs to be color. It's a bit on the bigger side, probably 18-20" square. It's not photo quality, but it's good enough. We send off all our photo printing anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Fallen Rib

If the color is mainly for printing patterns for costume making (i.e. line art) then the color accuracy and resolution probably isn't a major issue. As long as you can tell magenta from cyan it should be fine?

«6 »