Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Toner does tend to be more expensive per cartridge, yes. But the typical out put from one vs. an ink cartridge is an order of magnitude larger. For the customers I used to service, the savings showed up in pages/ dollar.

Plus, inkjets have that fun feature where it has to use up ink to clean the nozzles.

Or if you get the two cartridge ones where the colors are all together, you end up having to throw away usable ink because one color is out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

How does the Brother nomenclature work for models? Like MFC-L, HL-L?

By popular demand posted:

The cartridges are drat expensive though.
Yeah, but they last a long time, and their customer service is actually pretty good IMHO.

When I WFH during Covid, my company bought me cartridges for my brother color laser. Didn't install one of them for a couple of years and it started puking tonor/color/filler whatever is inside them when I eventually did.

Too long had past for us to do a return to Staples but I called brother, gave them the serial #, explained the problem, and they sent me a new cartridge prepaid to my door and just told me to throw away the old one.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 9, 2024

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

slidebite posted:

Yeah, but they last a long time, and their customer service is actually pretty good IMHO.

When I WFH during Covid, my company bought me cartridges for my brother color laser. Didn't install one of them for a couple of years and it started puking tonor/color/filler whatever is inside them when I eventually did.

Too long had past for us to do a return to Staples but I called brother, gave them the serial #, explained the problem, and they sent me a new cartridge prepaid to my door and just told me to throw away the old one.

MFC is multifunction. HL is home laser. I think the numbers correspond to the toners used, because my mom's MFC and my HL use the same toner cartridge and have similar numbers if not the same.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

slidebite posted:

Just for comparison my Canon G540 is estimated to go up to 3,700 pages of B/W documents or 8,000 pages of color documents or 3,800 4"" x 6"" (10x15cm) colour photos on a set of
6* $21 bottles

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

I think everyone in the thread knows to stay away from consumer HP printers for many reasons today, but HP is busy working on new reasons for tomorrow:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/02/hp-wants-you-to-pay-up-to-36-month-to-rent-a-printer-that-it-monitors/

quote:

HP launched a subscription service today that rents people a printer, allots them a specific amount of printed pages, and sends them ink for a monthly fee. HP is framing its service as a way to simplify printing for families and small businesses, but the deal also comes with monitoring and a years-long commitment.

Prices range from $6.99 per month for a plan that includes an HP Envy printer (the current model is the 6020e) and 20 printed pages. The priciest plan includes an HP OfficeJet Pro rental and 700 printed pages for $35.99 per month.

HP says it will provide subscribers with ink deliveries when they're running low and 24/7 support via phone or chat (although it's dubious how much you want to rely on HP support). Support doesn't include on or offsite repairs or part replacements. The subscription's terms of service (TOS) note that the service doesn't cover damage or failure caused by, unsurprisingly, "use of non-HP media supplies and other products" or if you use your printer more than what your plan calls for.

Hopefully it crashes and burns because you know Canon, Epson, Brother, etc. will be watching to see if it turns a buck.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Fabulousity posted:

I think everyone in the thread knows to stay away from consumer HP printers for many reasons today, but HP is busy working on new reasons for tomorrow:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/02/hp-wants-you-to-pay-up-to-36-month-to-rent-a-printer-that-it-monitors/

Hopefully it crashes and burns because you know Canon, Epson, Brother, etc. will be watching to see if it turns a buck.

I mean, if that fee also includes maintenance and support it's not actually bad. Printer ownership being outsourced is what most people do in business.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The answer for someone who needs to print 20 colour pages or fewer each month is a walkable neighbourhood with a local shop that does printing but I'm sure someone will come up with a way of making a gig worker for Amazon drive around with a printer in the back of their van so you can get your pages within 2 hours.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I just calculated that every photo quality color page costs me about 0.125$ for the ink alone which isn't cheap but gently caress that suggested HP program of $6.99/20pg per month.
E: unless photo paper is included, I didn't check.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

By popular demand posted:

I just calculated that every photo quality color page costs me about 0.125$ for the ink alone which isn't cheap but gently caress that suggested HP program of $6.99/20pg per month.
E: unless photo paper is included, I didn't check.

I read the contract, that 6,99$/month includes one printer, ink cartridges with replacement shipped over to the customer address and remote support over phone or chat. Paper is on the customer.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Obviously the thing to do is organize a neighborhood cooperative and take advantage of the 700pg for 36$, assuming that's still for photo printing.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

While looking for inexpensive local printers I found my local public library has free printing! Colour or black and white, in 4 sizes up to 11*17". No posted limits, though printing things has to be done off their computers, so I have to move things to google drive or a thumb drive to print. (Using their computers is also free, but they only have 6 per branch and you can use them in 1 hour blocks, so sometimes you have to wait.)

I have a B&W brother at home, but this is massively improved the quality of my D&D maps and props. :v:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Fabulousity posted:

They really are mad that the buyout didn't go through

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I have an ancient Laserjet CP1215 that has some color alignment issues. Black prints perfectly fine but the rest are off with cyan being way off. I've got a XP VM running the HP Toolbox to run the automatic calibrations, which did nothing, then I did a factory reset on the printer and ran three more calibration cycles, which did nothing, and I've replaced the cyan and magenta cartridges with genuine HP cartridges just in case.

Anyone know if there's anything I can do to fix it?

Here's the main calibration page:

And the supplies page. I've since replaced the magenta cartridge but it's still showing the same alignment issues.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

bbcisdabomb posted:

I have an ancient Laserjet CP1215 that has some color alignment issues. Black prints perfectly fine but the rest are off with cyan being way off. I've got a XP VM running the HP Toolbox to run the automatic calibrations, which did nothing, then I did a factory reset on the printer and ran three more calibration cycles, which did nothing, and I've replaced the cyan and magenta cartridges with genuine HP cartridges just in case.

Anyone know if there's anything I can do to fix it?

Here's the main calibration page:

And the supplies page. I've since replaced the magenta cartridge but it's still showing the same alignment issues.

This is going to sound so dumb, but replace the K toner cart as well. Near end of life toners sometimes cause weird signal issues. I can't give the actual why, I've just seen it happen or someone I was on a call with/ chat say it worked.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

tribbledirigible posted:

This is going to sound so dumb, but replace the K toner cart as well. Near end of life toners sometimes cause weird signal issues. I can't give the actual why, I've just seen it happen or someone I was on a call with/ chat say it worked.

Not a dumb idea at all, but I gave it a shot and no dice. I even swapped out the Y cartridge just to be sure that wasn't the problem.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

is there a diagnostics menu you can access and run a registration correction? I could do it on a xerox, but no idea where or how to do it on a HP

e: you've already run HP's version of that, so I'm all out of ideas

ShaneMacGowansTeeth fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Mar 26, 2024

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

bbcisdabomb posted:

Not a dumb idea at all, but I gave it a shot and no dice. I even swapped out the Y cartridge just to be sure that wasn't the problem.

Ok, are you seeing any error messages?

Because it sounds like your misregistration sensor on the ITB is borked.

The calibration process puts down toner on the belt directly, this sensor assembly checks the placement of each band of toner as it passes. If it sees misalignment, it signals the corresponding laser to adjust.

If it's not working right, that usually produces a "54.XXX" error.

I'm not sure where you are in the world, so I can't give you availability on the part.

And it sucks because these were really the last gasp of when Hp printers were drat solid. poo poo these days don't last 5 years, nevermind 15.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

tribbledirigible posted:

Ok, are you seeing any error messages?

Because it sounds like your misregistration sensor on the ITB is borked.

The calibration process puts down toner on the belt directly, this sensor assembly checks the placement of each band of toner as it passes. If it sees misalignment, it signals the corresponding laser to adjust.

If it's not working right, that usually produces a "54.XXX" error.

I'm not sure where you are in the world, so I can't give you availability on the part.

And it sucks because these were really the last gasp of when Hp printers were drat solid. poo poo these days don't last 5 years, nevermind 15.

No error messages at all, this unit only has idiot lights and not a LCD. The HP Toolbox software is only complaining about having non-HP cartridges installed. The printer seems to think it's working fine.

I'm in the USA. If you think there's a part I can replace I'm game to try, I just don't know where to go for that since fixyourownprinter.com went down.
Otherwise I'm looking at getting a used Brother HL-3170cdw for that sweet duplexer and cheap toner.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

https://www.laserpros.com/hp-cm1312-1415mfp-cp1215-1518ni-1525-itb-assembly-rm1-7866-rm1-4436-ro

The sensor on this series is included in the ITB assembly. You can shop around if you have a more trustworthy source. I had checked Depot International first.

https://laserpros.com/img/manuals/hp-manuals/hp-clj-cp1210-cp1510-manual.pdf

That's the link to the a copy of the service manual. If you've taken apart a pc before.... it's like taking apart a really cramped pc. Instructions specific to the ITB start on pg. 124 (142 on a .pdf reader), but there's other panels and internals that have to be removed prior.

You can also try blowing out the ITB with a compressed air duster once removed (OUTSIDE, away from anything important, and wearing clothes you don't give a poo poo about) before buying a replacement.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Cleaning the ITB didn't help so I'll look into getting a replacement, I just wish they weren't so pricey.

Thanks for all the help, if nothing else I have the service manual for this thing now.

GoonyMcGoonface
Sep 11, 2001

Friends don't left friends do ECB
Dinosaur Gum
Hello everyone!

Got a weird one for you. On this old Konica Minolta bizhub C280, I'm having a strange problem where colors darken/deepen around the edges of areas of solid color. This is especially noticeable on red and magenta colors, though it appears slightly in blue as well.

It's very apparent in person, though on scans it doesn't show up particularly well. I've adjusted the contrast levels here to make it clearer:

Any ideas what could be causing this? I'm at a bit of a loss.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

GoonyMcGoonface posted:

Hello everyone!

Got a weird one for you. On this old Konica Minolta bizhub C280, I'm having a strange problem where colors darken/deepen around the edges of areas of solid color. This is especially noticeable on red and magenta colors, though it appears slightly in blue as well.

It's very apparent in person, though on scans it doesn't show up particularly well. I've adjusted the contrast levels here to make it clearer:

Are you able to post a pic of just the magenta there on the bottom, right? Is this on a maintenance contract? I think it might need a new M drum unit (or developer)if all your toners are not near empty. And I'd rather you get the part for "free" if it comes to that.

tribbledirigible fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 30, 2024

GoonyMcGoonface
Sep 11, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
Capturing this effect on camera is super annoying! For what it's worth, the problem gets much worse when printing on thick paper. Not sure if that's relevant?

It's definitely not under a maintenance contract anymore. This was saved from a company that went under and had an adventurous life since then (including being strapped -- badly -- in the back of a pickup truck and driven through the snow under a tarp).

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

GoonyMcGoonface posted:

Hello everyone!

Back when I was a technician, I didn't work on KM machines, but it looks like a grounding issue with the M drum unit.
Though I would ask if the image on the edges is what it is supposed to look like. Basically, is the border over toned or the rest of the image under toned?
And last, does it happen with all colors or just magenta?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

GoonyMcGoonface posted:

Capturing this effect on camera is super annoying! For what it's worth, the problem gets much worse when printing on thick paper. Not sure if that's relevant?

It's definitely not under a maintenance contract anymore. This was saved from a company that went under and had an adventurous life since then (including being strapped -- badly -- in the back of a pickup truck and driven through the snow under a tarp).

Thanks for posting those. Yeah, adjustments need to made on your print dialog menu for thicker paper to let slow down the media through its trip through the printer so the toner gets laid on, then melted onto the paper properly.

So, like the goon above me said, it's likely an issue with the drum unit. Though the developer isn't far behind when that goes.

https://manuals.konicaminolta.eu/bizhub-C554-C454-C364-C284-C224/EN/contents/id11-0012.html

Can you print or take a pic of the consumables status report at the bottom of the linked page? Konica-Minolta's menu interface team are all graduates of Capcom, so the instructions linked pretty much apply no matter the model.

That way, we'll know if one or the other needs replacement. If it's not clear either way, my next suggestion will still be to replace the drum. If that doesn't solve the issue, then I'd replace the developer.

https://www.precisionroller.com/all-supplies-and-parts-for-konica-minolta-bizhub-c280/products.html

You don't have to buy the supplies from here if you have a preferred source, but all the normal consumables are listed, with the drum and developer listed near the bottom.

If that still doesn't fix the issue, then I'd call in a local tech. But that's gonna be at least 1-2hrs labor plus whatever parts they deem necessary. It's a machine that's old enough to get a driver's permit.

GoonyMcGoonface
Sep 11, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
It’s, uh, not new.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

GoonyMcGoonface posted:

It’s, uh, not new.

Well, your usage certainly is low enough that it made the printer throw its hands up for when the K drum is gonna need replacement.

The estimated page yield on the CMY drums is 90K pages each. So it's not end of life, just a bit over halfway. It shouldn't be performing like that.

On the site I linked, it's $252 for the OEM drum and $297 for the OEM developer. If I were working on this, I'd try replacing the drum first, then the developer.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I'd consider getting a new machine instead of throwing money into that thing.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Having recently been burned by HP laser printers and their cartridges having the chip, preventing me from buying non-HP toner cartridges... are they all like that?

What are the recommendations for a multi function laser printer (scan, fax, copy. print, duplex) where a new set of toner doesn't cost as much as the printer itself?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Brother printers are currently the gold standard for laser printers imo.

Don't worry about HP, their quality just went off a cliff in the last 10 years.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

bolind posted:

Having recently been burned by HP laser printers and their cartridges having the chip, preventing me from buying non-HP toner cartridges... are they all like that?

What are the recommendations for a multi function laser printer (scan, fax, copy. print, duplex) where a new set of toner doesn't cost as much as the printer itself?

Which model do/did you have?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Quackles posted:

Brother printers are currently the gold standard for laser printers imo.

Don't worry about HP, their quality just went off a cliff in the last 10 years.

Thanks I'll check those out.

tribbledirigible posted:

Which model do/did you have?

I have a HP Color LaserJet M554 and a site office is asking about the HP Colour LaserJet Pro MFP 4301fdw. Both only work with OEM cartridges, unless you spend an hour with a pair of tweezers moving over the chips.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

bolind posted:

Thanks I'll check those out.

I have a HP Color LaserJet M554 and a site office is asking about the HP Colour LaserJet Pro MFP 4301fdw. Both only work with OEM cartridges, unless you spend an hour with a pair of tweezers moving over the chips.

The 4301 might be a lost cause, especially if they bought the slightly cheaper variant of the same loving model that locks you into OEM only. That was a fun fact to find out.

The M554 should have available toner w/ chips that keep up with the firmware. It was pretty much standard practice for my customers to turn off fw updates, and allow non-Hp supplies. But it's behind a scare message and really buried in the UI. Hp says it's for "security" but at best it only disallows a generation of chips from working, and at worst it bricks their own poo poo

MSE/Clover brand is a decent choice for build quality and they typically will swap out a toner with a chip error if you call them: https://www.staples.com/clover-imag...rBoCnRkQAvD_BwE

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

From a technical perspective, you really don't want to use 3rd party toner because a laser printer is a very sensitive device and the wrong toner can cause tons of issues.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

3rd party ink is only for the cheap second hand inkjet your aunt didn't need.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

I don't have a horse in this race anymore, just giving him some options. That M554 was not cheap, and while I have gripes about their home/small office machines, HP's Enterprise line has been surprisingly decent for large volume work that I've seen at car dealerships, realtors, and doctors offices.

And I agree, there's an absolute buttload of drill-and-fill toners out there of dubious quality, but we did keep metrics on issues by manufacturer, OEM and compatible. HP had a 3% failure rate (or as our HP rep said, a 97% success rate).

Aster manufactured toners were the worst- those are a lot of of those 5 for $5 that you see on LD or Amazon. Then, depending on which SKU the reseller ordered, Ninestar (the guys who own Lexmark) compatible toner were fairly decent. Then there were a few US based places like MSE/ Clover and Source Tech that kept to that same 3% issue rate or lower.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Peachfart posted:

From a technical perspective, you really don't want to use 3rd party toner because a laser printer is a very sensitive device and the wrong toner can cause tons of issues.

Yup. I've probably said it before in this thread but I went to a site with some sort of image quality issue, threw a set of drums into it but had a check of the toners and they were knock-offs. Admittedly, the other SFP they had which was spraying magenta out of every vent should have given it away. Despite protesting that the set of generic toners were in fact official ones, I told them to either get a service contract for the supplies or just buy legit ones because they've technically invalidated the warranty and would be charged parts and labour for the call. Other issues have been a constant "tray full" error because the paper exit sensor had been clogged with yellow, no image at all on prints, ghosting and even a "unrecognised toner" error which took me all of five seconds to pull the toner out, give it to the user and say "there's your problem" and walk out

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Accidentially posted in a different thread :downs:

We have a Brother multi function color laser. Speaking of, it only has USB and Wifi.

Wifi has always been flaky and the network PCs can never see it reliably. I do have a network switch near it. Would a USB->RJ45 work to get that thing to see the network reliably? Or even do-able? Or can the USB port only used for a single, direct control PC connection?

It's a Brother HL-L3290CDW
https://www.brother.ca/en//p/HLL3290CDW

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

USB is for connecting to a single computer, which could then be set up to share it over the network. Or you could set up a dedicated print server.

If the printer is connected to the same WiFi network as your computer, and there isn't anything in the way that could block the signal between the printer and the router, then it really ought to be perfectly reliable. Don't rely on a direct wireless connection between computer and printer, always make the printer a part of the home network, connected to your access point (router).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I see it loads where for some reason printer manufacturers do a big "gently caress you" to their customers by making network printers that are Wi-Fi only. There's no reason to do it other than to force people who want to plug the thing in to go further up the product range.