Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I have a Brother HL-L2350DW. Am I saving much toner if I print text at 300DPI versus 600DPI? What about mixed text and images? I'm thinking if the toner blobs take the same amount of space on the paper, I can't be saving much if at all. The only way would be to lighten the printout so it's fixing less toner on the paper, aka Toner Save Mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Paul MaudDib posted:

ugh, I still am thinking about printers. I keep talking myself in circles. The L2750DW seems obviously worth it considering the cost of a standalone duplex document scanner.

The L8900CDW vs the MF743Cdw, I don't know. It looks like Canon's linux driver situation is alright although not as great as Brother. It'll probably cover my needs for the occasions when I use Linux, and it'll scan to a network share. Not as nice as having full CUPS support for ARM/etc but it'll be OK. If worse comes to worst, I can leave it plugged into a NUC or something as a print server and it'll be ok. The Canon seems to have much better graphical/photo print quality - I'm not looking to do serious photo printing but on the other hand if I print something graphical I don't want it to look crappy either, then the extra money would just have been a waste. The Canon also seems to have a much more limited situation with non-OEM toner and the one brand I can find there's a fair number of people complaining about cartridges breaking and dumping toner in the printer and ruining it.

realistic answer is buy the L2750DW, that covers almost everything I really need, but I kinda want color laser for those rare occasions color would enhance my enjoyment of something I'm printing (a guide with graphics or something, etc). I guess on those occasions I'd be happy with the brother anyway, but if I'm gonna get it why not get the one that's better at actual color printing? But then that locks me into a much more limited set of aftermarket toners, etc.

I'm not a printer guy, I'm a cranky person who hates complication, so here's my take: Some folks got room in their budget and living space for 'kinda want.' So if that's you, go for it.

I've dealt with a big color multifunction machine that uses aftermarket toner at work. I don't want that poo poo in my home, you can inhale toner particles. At home it's the Brother Honda Civic b+w and it only gets fed OEM toner. If I ever need to print in color, I'll just get gouged at my local print shop or somehow survive in black and white. I'll have my photos printed (on a six figure machine that I never need to maintain) at the drugstore for a nice low price.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Looking for a recommendation for a monochrome multifunction printer for a small office. We have an ancient Brother MFC-9970CDW.

We'll need the new one to do the same stuff: copy, document-feed-scan 2-sides and send to a PC on the network, and print duplex, preferably single-pass. We have small-to-modest print jobs occasionally going around 300 pages, but more frequently it's under 50 pages. It will be used daily by 1-4 people printing around 25-200 sheets a day peak, 6 days a week. And we're going from color to monochrome.

At the moment I'm just browsing Brother's "store" on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/39CF993A-7C93-490B-A9E3-165EB7DACA38?ingress=2&visitId=82788e7d-8929-4fe7-a9da-4c255c59086d&ref_=ast_bln).

The old printer is 7(?) years old and has limped along because parts have been relatively easy to get, so longevity is a factor here. I don't ask you to predict how long replacement parts will be around, but we'd be willing to pay more for something newer.

eyeballing this fellow, MFCL2750DW: https://www.amazon.com/Brother-MFCL...124&sr=1-3&th=1

edit: added document feeder

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 11, 2022

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Peachfart posted:

This level of usage is on the very edge of getting a small leased machine, as 200 prints a day, 6 days a week, is 60k a year. I would consider looking at a vendor for a cheap leased machine, especially if your device will be critical.

That's peak as I indicated, usually it's well under 50/day. As an example, there are times when we have to fill a binder with hundreds of pages of blank forms, but that binder takes months to fill with data.

It will definitely see daily use, though. A Brother lasted us about seven years, and we'd keep using it if the replaceable parts were still affordable and plentiful. (It's heavy though, I couldn't see myself carrying it around for anyone, no matter what I thought I was getting out of it.)

I'm not a printer genius by any stretch, but my reading of this thread would definitely have me heading toward a lease if we were doing 300 pages a day!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Earlier this year, my (small) office bought a Brother B+W MFC direct from Brother and we had to wait a month or so for it to get in stock and ship to us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

smellmycheese posted:

Funny article from some dumb gently caress who signed up to HP instant ink and now realises just how dumb that was

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2023/02/home-printer-digital-rights-management-hp-instant-ink-subscription/672913/

IMO these always boil down to, "I paid no attention to this sort of thing, which has been going on for more than 20 years, until it happened to me in a specific situation. Someone should do something."