Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Oyster posted:

As a field engineer contracted to one of those big accounts, congrats.

I'm basically being a field engineer and doing other support as well so that two of the sites don't need a field engineer to visit at all as I'll be doing that, and the other two sites which are miles away, the on-site contacts will be going through me before they do anything technical to streamline the process and reduce engineer visits. But all I've done so far is collate the total page counts for each machine, re-do the floor plans for each building on my site, clean out the guy who I'm replacing's stock cupboard - I found a scanner for a machine which had been ordered and replaced by an engineer who'd left the company four years ago on there - sending back two full boxes of spent toner and consumables, making a list of parts I want on site, and just getting everything to a place where I can feel comfortable having every machine working well. Then I'm actually going to start going round and doing monthly maintenance on them all as of next week, just to give myself something to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Oyster posted:

Ah. That sounds a lot like my present position, I'm technically a TSR(Site) now. I don't get to arrange my machines the way I want to, but have an office in the largest hospital of the account where I keep my parts and my docucare people go through me. I'm jealous of the free time, I've got around 2,500 machines and kept pretty busy.

I have ~90 here and a dozen on another site, and I'm going to encourage the other docucares to come to me first. I've currently got a restricted network machine that shouldn't be where it is that I have to remove the hard-drive, altboot, reconfigure and shuffle back to where it originally was, and a smaller MFP that will actually be the proper restricted machine but I need to arrange all of the back end network stuff plus we have to work out where in this particular building we're going to put it. Naturally, covid is making this difficult

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

In January, I submitted a workcentre 3655 for a mechanical exchange because after three visits, a new hard drive, a new SD card, two new IP boards and a new MCU board the motherfucking bastard machine would not accept an altboot firmware upgrade (also, when it did boot-up, it was in Italian - so much for a "non scavenged from a deprecated machine Xerox"). Today, having been stuck on the site as docucare and knowing that the same machine was in storage, had been replaced but not disposed off, and knowing I had a spare SD card and HDD I had booked off on previous calls I figured I would throw them in and see if I could altboot the software on. Initial impressions were not good as I got a load of SD card errors, but after re-inserting the SD card, the machine stayed on (still in Italian) but didn't reboot after 15 seconds and instead... accepted the firmware reload and is now perfectly functional?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Yeah, I was surprised to see it still in storage and had the SD card knocking about. I'm loathe to replace SD cards as they nuke the billing meters, but this one seemed to keep its data, so I just took the win and put it back in storage

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Last week, because I was bored, I removed and replaced the reg transport on a Versalink B405 - mainly because the day before I got a call from head office as to where the paper work on a 3655 I'd put in a mechanical exchange in June had got to (lots of people going on holiday at the same time, apparently) and mainly because I botched the reg transport replacement on that so badly it needed a replacement. Anyway, I really wish Xerox had found somewhere, anywhere else for the MCU board to go because untangling the two wire harnesses for the reg transport from the thick clump going into the MCU board is a pain in the loving arse

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Raldikuk posted:

When I ran a copy center the excuse the Xerox tech always gave was that it uses the colors to help make the blacks blacker....in retrospect this seems dumb and it's probably the microdot thing

It's not strictly to make the black blacker, but true black isn't made from just black toner in a colour machine. If you were to go into a Xerox machine's diagnostics and print single colour for each toner, the single black isn't as dark as a black made from all four toners

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I'm not going to recommend a model, but when looking I'd still use that high end of their estimated volume in the machine's listed specs, and it's close to that, take that. You don't want to get a machine that's only designed for about 2000 pages a month that gets thrashed to double that month after month because it will probably start breaking down way before the end of its warranty

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Nermal. posted:

Definitely looks like the place to ask the following.

New business has 16 psychologists. They want the ability to scan both from a document feeder and the ol’ glass top for copies of books and whatnot.

They are estimating their print numbers at around 3000-5000 pages a month but I think they’re completely full of poo poo and it’s maybe half that volume. Time will tell.

They want something solid, would prefer color but it’s not essential, budget is under $3000.

I don’t know the pros and cons to monochrome and color, which media is the right balance of easy to use, high volume, and not ridiculously expensive, etc. I also personally believe they are trying to spend WAY more than they need to, but if they end up with something that lasts for years and years it might be worth it.

It’s also worth mentioning this particular group is terrible at operating anything you plug in with a screen, so anything with a super complicated interface might not be a great option either.

Any direction is appreciated.

here ya go (if you're going Xerox)

https://www.xerox.co.uk/en-gb/office/multifunction-printers/versalink-c7020-c7025-c7030

colour, in budget, and can outpace the max volume you've specc'd (get the C7030). Get a leased one though

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Speaking of Versalink C70xxs...

https://twitter.com/realflanmurray/status/1187316435732914176

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

This morning, successful one time replacement of a registration transport assembly on a WC3655 *without* ending up cutting the wire harnesses on the reg being removed because gently caress me if Xerox don't have pack the harnesses up to the MCU exceptionally too tight. That the machine booted up and printed successfully was a bonus, and all for an intermittent paper size mismatch error

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

The "PrinterNightmare" print spooler exploit has reached the ears of the higher ups of my IT people so on Thursday evening, someone decided to push a group policy disabling the print spooler for every device on the whole company - every laptop, desktop, tablet, phone & server had their spooler disabled across the entire estate. I work for a very large aerospace company who make planes and also satellites so you might be able to gather who it might be. After four hours, we were able to force a roll back on the policy and restart the spooler but it would also be nice if the company would include the printer team in any changes that might affect the printer estate. After all three weeks ago, one of their network guys changed the DNS record for the print server off his own back without notifying anyone that he was doing so then went on holiday, and it, again, took us about four hours to work out what had got hosed up and how to unfuck it

ShaneMacGowansTeeth fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 12, 2021

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

klosterdev posted:

Did they apply to the GPO to the default domain policy/root of the domain by accident or did they really not confirm with the suits if losing the ability to print literally anywhere until a patch dropped was an acceptable loss of functionality?

no idea who asked who, but from what I've been able to gather, no-one thought to ask what the ramifications of stopping the spooler service would be by asking anyone, so they just went ahead and did it. We also think it may have been supposed to have been a targeted group policy drop, and not a group policy which went worldwide and affected every single device across the entire company. It should come as no surprise that this is the second time that someone has done a change on the printer environment without checking what the ramifications would be, but the last one was slightly more localised and less damaging - someone manually changed the DNS record on the print server, which in turn holds the log on details for everyone in the UK, so no-one could physically log in to a printer (we use smart cards and readers) - and then hosed off for the weekend. Luckily, it was a Friday, and I sit near the network guys and was able to get them to roll back that change pretty quickly

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

As a poor idiot that used to repair these things and now have a comfy desk job, when you're estimating how many copies you do a month, always over-estimate. It's better to get a machine in with a higher usage threshold so you have a nice buffer if you print and copy more, than get a machine with the the top output limit being what you do in a month and you're constantly pushing it past that, because that machine will constantly break down. I had one machine I used to go to which was the only colour copier on this particular site, and even brought up the model type on our web page, showed the max page volume to the user who was complaining at how often it was jamming and the volume he was running it at, which was comfortably at the "this is the absolute max pages you can do in a month, please don't do this every month" and had been for about eighteen months.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I used to refurb machines for concessionaires, and the motors and boards were generally fine to leave in. Usually the process would be: power up the machine and check the volume; check the error history; delete the previous customer's data; remove all of the xerographic parts and feed rollers; clean out the print engine; replace all the xerographic parts and feed rollers; full calibration of the entire print engine & scanner; full software update including a wipe of the device's HDD

If there were any stand out faults on the device, I'd usually order in parts and fix that while doing the refurb

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Had another Altalink C8030 go into a deepsleep that can only be recovered by unplugging the power cable, powering it on at the tablet with the power cable out and then powering it back on, and then doing a software reload. And of course, Xerox have done something fucky to my laptop so I can't do a PWS software reload, the joys

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Oyster posted:

I stopped working for Xerox in April of last year, but I had 200 C8030-C8070's in my account and never encountered that. No altbooting with a flash drive? Kinda surprised to see a software glitch on the altalinks, after the post code 5 glitch with the B8055's on release was fixed I didn't see a single issue on them. Versalinks, on the other hand......

I've only had it happen a half dozen times in the three or four years I was on the road supporting them, and a simple full power drain usually fixes it, we just always did an altboot to clean out the software in case something was lurking. Later versions of the software simply go low power to sleep rather than low power to standby to sleep which is *maybe* where the glitch was happening. And it also turns out that it might have just been my laptop having a day as I did a reload on a different device with it and it worked fine

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Today, when replaced a transport assembly because the clutch was slipping and telling the printer the paper it wanted wasn't loaded, I managed to do the following: nearly kill the machine by fraying some wire harnesses when moving it about; thought I had *actually* killed it when I booted it up but it turned out I'd not reseated the memory DIMM; got a clunking jam in the back which was caused by a broken bit of plastic getting caught in the duplex path and not because of a wire harness not being plugged in correctly - yes, I took the thing apart and checked. This whole "not being a field engineer" thing is making me sloppy

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I am now officially not a technical services representative but instead a Delivery Account Operations Associate Level 2. Only took them four months to make the change, along with me repeatedly saying "no, I will never go back out on the road, stop asking me"

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

printnightmare continues to be the rusty dildo up the arse of my working day

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I was supposed to be taking delivery of six Versalink B7130s tomorrow to replace six Workcentre 5955s, six more B7130s on Tuesday while the first batch of WC5955s are taken away, and the final batch of WC5955s taken away a week tomorrow and apparently it's been put on hold for a while. And yet I just know that at about 10am tomorrow morning I'm going to get a phone call from security saying there's a lorry waiting for me at the gate

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Had my first new delivery of a machine has a fault, and for some inane reason I've tried to fix it but it's now doing something completely different, so I need to take the covers off a different finisher to make sure I've put it back together right

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

the machine itself is fine, and the finisher isn't an integral part like a WC 57xx/58xx/59xx or a B80xx. Besides, if I can't fix it I can very easily get second level to arrange a mex for it because I've replaced all of the parts that the manual suggests and its truly hosed

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I saw the words "enormous colour laser xerox" and was summonded to the thread two days late because I'm on my holiday

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I can't speak to your model of printer but the general thread consensus on non-legit toner is use at your own risk. It might be fine or it might spill out internally

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Have a copier on a site I don't support that keeps making GBS threads out yellow backgrounds on prints. I've sent an engineer in twice and it's always fine when they leave and then mysteriously returns a few hours later. It's always intermittent. Might just throw it to level two support and wash my hands of it

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Have a copier on a site I don't support that keeps making GBS threads out yellow backgrounds on prints. I've sent an engineer in twice and it's always fine when they leave and then mysteriously returns a few hours later. It's always intermittent. Might just throw it to level two support and wash my hands of it

it's still making copies yellow, and it's now having its *fourth* call raised. If I had attended a machine three times and still not fixed it, I would be on the receiving end of an almighty bollocking

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

ticket: "every time I try and scan this document, it fails because it says the job and fragment are too big"
me, checking the manual: "just double the size of the file"
user, after I tell them to try again: "it's 190 pages double sided"
me: "yeah, that would be why"

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

this is a new one: was configuring a black and white A3 copier before it goes onto a double secret network, so I was going through and checking that the warehouse had done all of the pre-configuring like they were supposed to. Get to check the USB settings and the copier turns the USB ports off. Weird, but I go back in and set all of the settings to on, and as I save it the copier turns the ports off again. I try various combinations and the copier will not keep the USB ports on, which is a pretty big deal as every printer has a USB card reader to log in with (this machine was shipped without a card reader, much to my amusement)

Decide to do a mid level return to default settings and it still keeps turning the ports off. Do a full nuclear factory default wipe and after I manage to un-brick it the copier is still turning its USB ports off when attempting to turn them on. So on a hunch I grab a clone from a completely different machine which has its USB ports on, drop that on this piece of poo poo and the USB ports stay on. I fully configure the device, taking care not to go any where near the USB settings and after two and a half hours it works. Why did it take two and a half hours? Because this model requires a reboot every time you look at it funny, but also because the various servers I need to access to get it on the network involve taking two remote desktop connections to get to, and then I have to drop the final one to get to a different, yet required, print server

tribbledirigible posted:

What kind of machine is it? The newer HP toners on their enterprise series have had issues with waste toner spill, with yellow being the last toner cartridge to encounter the paper and coincidentally is right next to the waste toner box. I've changed out yellow toners and still got the same result then checked the waste toner and it was just piled up enough to cause the random color hit, but since it hasn't hit the counted number of pages that the waste box is rated for, doesn't show up as needing to be replaced.

Or, and this is rare, the media being copied is so old, the paper has discolored enough to be sometimes interpreted as yellow by the scanner. These are engineering drawings from 90s.

oh this wasn't a spill, it was turning the entire background of the scan solid yellow. It's an issue when the scanner control board starts to die, but it normally turns the background blue as opposed to yellow. A software fix was deployed on slightly older models to eliminate it, but this yellow error is on newer models and the same, yet different

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

went to replace a toner, wasn't the right colour because I don't need to check the alerts. Get the right one, but put the wrong one on my desk and a fairly large puff of toner came out. Yes, I had ripped the spring loaded cap off it and it had exploded all over the inside of the box, my desk and also the floor. Tremendous

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

tribbledirigible posted:

I mean, who doesn't want to celebrate Holi everyday, right?

I had a customer install a waste toner box poorly and ended up with magenta pants for the rest of the day.

get a call. Toner spill. :smuggo:

open the front door

:stare: investigate some more

:negative:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

tribbledirigible posted:

Xerox C8000 series? Yeah, the more expensive the machine, the more people don't follow the pictures on the drat box. Hard to see because of all the toner, but are all of the packing tape still on those?

Nah, backed up waste toner and it was a WC78xx from what I remember. The NVM setting for a) how much waste toner the box could handle before telling you to re-order one and b) how many pages it would print before subsequently telling you to replace it were set *comically* high as a default. As in twice as much waste before re-ordering and 80% more pages before replacement, and so the waste would back up everywhere and new toner would start making GBS threads itself *everywhere*. That one had toner in every fan and outlet, all over the back of the wall and even up on top of the document handler. I was there for about six hours vacuuming the inners, all of the LED print heads and essentially replaced the entire print engine. On a Friday

It should also be noted that despite this being a known issue, the far too high settings for the waste box were translated into the C80xx series

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I had a vacuum like that too, I think I used an entire cartridge cleaning out that monstrosity. And PPE? Lol no, I was a contractor at the time

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Note to self: don't write a tip for fixing an error when you've had your first beers after six weeks without because this is absolute loving gibberish

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Llab posted:

How do you explain the rest of the manual/eureka/communities being gibberish?

Oh god, some of them I've tried to parse and just gave up so I like to think my only entry to them was in the same style. That one was a bit of a weird one, but turning round to their IT guy and saying "by the way, you will have to reconfigure that device from scratch and *oh*, the long weekend starts in one hour so goodbye and good luck" as I walked out always feels good

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Was a little bored at work, mainly because I've done a decent job with maintaining my fleet, so I went back and looked at the service manuals for the B600 series and gently caress me, those manuals should be trashed and new ones written

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

The first one I went to had a broken exit assembly, and the repair procedure is "take this cover off, remove exit". Except you need to take the finisher off (not documented), and every single other cover to remove that cover, and then two drives to get it out. Absolute loving mess of a machine

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Just had a copier go from 48% black toner remaining 8 days ago, 24% remaining yesterday and empty today, or in other words it's done 12000 prints in six days

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

it's just an estimate, but I also think some chucklefuck has been taking toners out and shaking them when they reach "low". I can't tell, because this is a different site that I can't network into, but to fall over that quickly makes me think someone is. Either that or the dispense assembly is clogged (my second guess), or someone has shook it and the internals have corrupted the counter so even a new toner won't read 100% (my third guess)

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

By popular demand posted:

gently caress you, I won't do what you tell me!

nor will the printer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I have to relocate an A3 colour machine and configure it, and remotely configure a smaller machine on Monday and it is my last week before Christmas and I do not need this. I want to chill out and do nothing