Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
The old printer questions thread is archived so I thought I'd start a new one.

All printers are poo poo, but some are less poo poo than others. In fact, some say there are non-poo poo printers out there somewhere, which don't have toner cartridge costs over 50% of the cost of printer units themselves...

Anyhow, it seems to be general opinion (& old thread wisdom) that if you're looking for a bog-standard, reliable mono laser printer then Brother's HL-L2340DW model is a good'un. But they've now updated to the L2350 - does anyone have experience with this sparkling new wonder machine? Have they replaced all important internal parts with similar parts made only of balsa wood and reprocessed post-it notes??

And another more answerable question (the reason I'm posting this thread): is there any reason at all I should use OEM toner cartridges and drums, vs. nice cheap replacements from https://www.cartridgesave.co.uk/?
I use cartridgesave cartridges on my Canon inkjet at home, and they seem to last forever as well as being cheap as gently caress. But my office is looking for a cheaper source of toner which I've never tried to get from cheapo third party sellers. What's the deal?

e: I think the thread title typo was freudian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

incoherent posted:

Always ALWAYS buy OEM toner. 3rd party toner\refurb is are for VPs or procurers for your organization to get kickbacks from the vendor. Any sane person in charge of printers and want to save money will actively fight to get rid of them and failing that implement software such as Papercut to strangle the correct behavior out of end users.
What's the technical reason for this? No one should be being kickbacks, we're a very very small firm etc.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
^^This is a great post. I feel like this could profitably be renamed the printer ptsd group therapy thread. Also thanks for the further Brother recommendations.

I couldn't believe that poo poo about waste toner bottles when I recently started my new job. I haven't worked a lot with office photocopiers in the past few years, has that always been a thing? Is there any way to empty the fuckers yourself?? I assume not, without destroying the bottle fitting in any case.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
So our upstairs Xerox photocopier at work (a WorkCentre 7970) is causing us problems and the engineer who sorted things last time gave us a weird-sounding reason. What's happening is that it periodically decides that its fuser is expended and that it needs a replacement, however we were told last time that this wasn't the case and, in fact, it was the sun.

As in, the printer is by a window where it barely ever gets direct sunlight, but sometimes it might get a dash of sunlight on it for half an hour and this is likely what caused it to think its fuser was dead. The engineer said it shouldn't have been installed near a window in the first place, and we should keep the blind down from now on.

So we have kept the blind down - no sunlight. However it keeps telling us its fuser is dead, off and on. Thoughts? I know these machines are pretty sensitive so it doesn't sound entirely implausible... but it is pretty weird that the thing hasn't acted up in this way for 5 years and now is doing so. It's been in the same place all that time and none of the surrounding buildings have had any big changes or anything (so no changes in the light).