Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
The cost of the printer isn't too much of an issue but the cost of toner is quite brutal on a colour printer. I just use a colour A4 laser in my office and that is sufficient but I wouldn't be using colour if it wasn't a business expense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Faux Mulder posted:

I'm only going to be using colour on occasion - do these things generally have separate cartridges for BW/colour, or would I have to buy the whole shebang each time I ran out of black? What's the cheapest I can get in on a reasonable colour laser for light use?

The HP that I have has separate BW, and all 3 colours are separate and can be independently replaced. I would check the individual details of the printers you look at.

For best prices you could look on newegg as they have quite a selection.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Three Olives posted:

Really? I find it pretty reasonable. I mean, photos are going to look like poo poo, I haven't really found regular color usage to be a significant cost, especially using knock-off Brother cartridges that work perfectly fine besides the toner level saying I am using a non-genuine supply.

How often do people print photos anyway? Even then if you want a quality print you can just go somewhere with fancy commercial printers.