Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009
Not sure whether to post here or the Mac software thread, but I've got an HP M281fdw colour laser MFD. I have occasional problems where MS Word documents make it completely lose its poo poo. The printer will spool up to print, then crash and reboot. The screen usually says Code 79 service error, which when I research it says it's either a corrupt firmware or a dodgy DIMM (AFAIK I can't replace the memory on this printer and the code seems like a generic bit of HP speak).

I thought it was the printer that was borked, but having done a few power cycles, updated the firmware and tried printing other Word docs of a similar page count and complexity (20 odd pages, no graphics or anything fancy) this particular file still makes it crap the bed. The other docs seem to print fine, but this one crashes the printer, even when I make a PDF of the document from Word and try and print that in Preview. Maybe there's some weird escape command or bit of data in there or something?

Anyway, this is just casting a net to see if anyone has any experience of anything similar? (Moc OS 12.4 / Word 16.63.1)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

Can you test making a PDF out of that document, putting on a fat32 usb drive and connecting that usb drive to the front usb port? If it crashes that way too, the error is on the word side of things.

Yep, that crashed it, too. Tried printing it from LibreOffice and it did print, albeit by substituting Courier for some other monospaced font. Suspect that the problem's in the font or something? Anyway, I'm back to using LibreOffice because although it has a horrible UI, it seems a little bit better behaved in not doing stupid poo poo like this.

Peachfart posted:

Bet you are using the wrong driver. Probably the Airprint driver, as that is what OSX likes to default to when it can't figure out the correct driver to use.
Also OSX changed how printing works in the most recent major update, you may be needing just to update the driver package.

I seem to be using the HP Postscript driver. It being HP though, it installed several different apps to manage various aspects of the device, which makes it impossible to find a way to update it. That's good to know about the printing system update in MacOS. I'll investigate that a bit more. I suspect this is just one of those stupid things that should have worked but didn't.

Thanks both for your help ! :tipshat:

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

Word will try to keep fonts as defined in the docx file, hoping that the end user(be it another computer or printer) will understand them even if the computer is running on do not. Which might end up in issues when the rendering is done one the printer(postscript) rather than on the pc(pcl or whatever equivalent your printer make uses). Unless you work in professional print, i advise against postscript drivers if you can.

The HP driver has options to do with card stocks and things that I need for my work. What’s odd is uninstalling MS Word seems to made the Courier font disappear from my system. I thought it was one of the fonts that came with Mac OS, but Word ate it all the same..

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

Courier is an optional font on Monterey and higher, you can reinstall it using Font Book.

Hm. It's not showing as one of the faded out fonts in Font Book. Unless you know of some mojo to get it back, I guess I'm using Courier New, which isn't quite as heavy and legible to my old eyes.