Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Fallen Rib

How much will I regret getting my dad a Lexmark CS410dn color duplex laser? He's going to be printing drafts of books so possibly print cycles of several hundred pages at a time. The duplex feature is a requirement, color is optional, budget including toner for the first ~3000 pages (B/W) is 300.

Edit: Another option is Brother HL-L2310D, which is monochrome.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Feb 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Fallen Rib

Thanks Ants posted:

The running costs on small colour lasers are ridiculous - stick with monochrome models that have large capacity toner options.

That's a good point.

Looked a bit more, and think I'm going to suggest my dad the Brother HL-L2375DW then. I'm guessing it's a newer model than HL-L2310D.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Fallen Rib

Wireless printing typically means specific support for printing from tablets and phones (Android and iOS), and it might mean the printer is able to act as a wifi access point, or perhaps some Bluetooth protocol I'm not sure whether exists or not.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Fallen Rib

Whatever you do, do not buy an ink jet.
You won't get a great color laser at that price, but they will still be more reliable than any ink-based printer.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Fallen Rib

If the color is mainly for printing patterns for costume making (i.e. line art) then the color accuracy and resolution probably isn't a major issue. As long as you can tell magenta from cyan it should be fine?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Fallen Rib

I don't know the name of any specific software, but the way to handle it is usually to have some separator pages with some kind of bar code printed, that instructs the software how to split or where to save the following pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Fallen Rib

klosterdev posted:

We're moving towards a VPNless user environment, and have recently implemented a managed printer setup where the user prints to a virtual printer and then can release the job from any on-site printer. As such, when working from home, a user will have to wait until they're on-site to be able to send the jobs to the virtual printer because it will fail if Windows can't see the print server.

Is there any known way where a user could send a print job in a way that within Windows the job remains in a holding pattern until the next time the print server is visible to Windows (when connected to the cooperate network on-site) and then spits out all the jobs to it?

Comedy homebrew option: PDF printer that dumps every print job to a secret directory on the PC, and a background task that tries to copy those PDFs to a file share or upload them to a web service. (Except a commercial solution would be the same, just there exists someone else to point at when it doesn't work.)