Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Do we have a printer recommendation thread? My wife has an HP PSC 1510 that she got all the way back in 2006, I'm trying to install it on her new home office but her laptop doesn't recognize that the printer is connected, and I can't finish installing it (including driver installation) without getting them to recognize each other. I remember it being a pain in the rear end to install on my laptop a few years ago (both are Win10 machines) but I did get it to work eventually. However this time around I'd rather just get her a new one than gently caress around with this anymore, unless someone has a non-sketchy download link to install the correct drivers directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Getting a little more serious about printer shopping after the last time I posted in here. I asked my wife if she prints in B&W or color for her job and she said B&W but that she'd like to have the option to print color. Does that mean I should just get an inkjet and buy black ink in bulk?

zaepg posted:

I'm trying to clean and fix a dirty gunky old printer, that prints in faded ink. It has trouble mostly printing black.
What is this sponge thing, what does it do?

I have an old HP Inkjet Printer I'm fixing. The blacks in the printer won't come out, if they do it's very minimal and faint. Colors are faded too but not as bad. The previous owner had a cart explode or leak. I replaced the carts so they are brand new.

Look at these images. This thing is soaked in black ink. Both of them.

Hey this is the same model of printer that I'm trying to replace lol

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This might be a personal bias, but for professional documents laser feels so much better. Whenever I've had to print something serious or official on inkjets I've had qualms, from smeary ink to the document itself not holding up as well over time. I went with a B&W laser MFP for this reason. A quick search shows what I assume to be decent color laser printers (not MFP) down in the $200 range, so depending on budget (and workflow) it still seems reasonable to go laser.

Oh I didn't notice that they make laserjets that do color. I think I could justify $200 on a printer if we get 15 years out of it like we've gotten from this HP :v