Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I'll start this out saying that I've been HP biased since last century when I was an office tech keeping a fleet of HP 4100s running. My current printer is an 11 year old HP 2025dn which should keep working for a long time, except HP has only released a generic driver for Windows 11 so it looks like I'm losing features on my new computer.

Also right now I'm using an old inkjet all-in-one that's sitting in a spare bedroom for scanning, which works but isn't ideal.

1. Am I actually losing access to stuff like duplex printing and the ability to print an occasional envelope from the supplemental tray with these generic drivers, or am I actually just losing HP bloat?
2. Does any printer manufacturer make a color laser all-in-one that is built like those old HPs, i.e. designed to be maintained by a person with hands? I've read RTings reviews but they don't mention how well they open up. Should I actually be looking at low-level enterprise stuff if I want to find user-replaceable wear items?

I realize this is like buying a new car because it's out of gas, but if my printer's no longer being supported by the manufacturer I'd rather get a new one that does all the things I want than spend $500 on a new rack of color toner and keep running into the next room to scan the second side of a page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU