Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Volguus posted:

I could send an email to this address and it would print the document. WTF? Who in their right mind would want to do such a thing? What's the use case?

If you ever figure out someone you don't like's printer email address you can sign it up for all sorts of newsletters or send dumb pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Unless you absolutely have to scan, there's also online services that let you arrange and order your own photo albums that deliver some great quality for very nice prices.
Those might be worth looking into.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Or at least until the light leaking into the assembly bleaches the photosensitive roller after a couple of decades.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

Run off full pages of CMY and K and see if any colour is noticeably worse, but at a guess you need a new transfer belt

I did that once on an Epson color laser and K curled up so badly on the fuser that it got stuck and left a permanent scar that'd show up on all subsequent prints. This was with laser printer approved paper and official Epson toner.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

This probably depends on the model, I don't see how this could've happened here since the pale areas are where the toner doesn't make it out of the cartridge. I'm not sure how exactly the printer determines it needs to supply more toner into the compartment, but unless it just keeps pumping it in until it explodes, nothing extra should come out I think.

I didn't do sensible strips, but rather full pages of each color. If I had to guess it's because the black toner retained more heat than the other colors, causing the paper to curl excessively.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

My Brother b/w mfc laser had a broken touch screen, as in the layer that did the touch part of the touch screen literally flaked off inside the screen.
This was 2 months after the warranty period. I took it to the local official Brother repair center nearby, expecting a bill of at least €80. But because I'd put in an official cartridge they waived the fee. Like, they literally opened the door to check if it was a genuine cart before even taking a good look at the screen.

So I guess that's a thing to consider. In my case the price for a real high capacity cart was €63 vs 49 for a knockoff. Pretty good deal in this instance.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

Okay, but isn't that by design? If mixing all four toners makes a blacker black, why not mix all four toners in one cartridge and make that the new black toner?

Just a guess, but cost mainly. Carbon black is very cheap, any other pigment is much more expensive. Also, layering on the colors creates a thicker layer, resulting less of the paper shining through, giving a darker color.

I've had color lasers that didn't do all that, though. They were drum style, so black was a single pass while color required four passes and took forever.

Also, if every print uses up some color toner, instead of just the color ones, the get to sell more toner carts.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

My experience with Epson is that their all in ones refuse to scan or even copy in black and white unless a full ink cartridge is installed for every color. I don't know if that's still the case, but it was the last thing I learned about that printer before throwing it out.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

If the printer has the option, just set it to keep on printing when toner runs low. Occasionally shaking up the cartridge can help squeeze some extra life out of it as well.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

evilmiera posted:

Oh cool the print and scan software from Brother also seems to preclude printing directly from a webpage or somesuch, you HAVE to use the software to print?

For Android you want the Brother Print Service Plugin to enable printing from apps.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

evilmiera posted:

My dad would never use his phone to handle printing, it's all Windows

I guess I must be misunderstanding the issue then. The printer's connected and recognized, but doesn't print when not using the scanning software?

Does it show up in the Windows print settings? Is it set as default printer? Does the browser have the right printer selected?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

slidebite posted:

FWIW, I can print to my Brother from my Pixel 6 when on wifi with my home network and I never installed any software.

Yeah, most printers Just Work™ on modern Android, but older versions definitely required the enabler apps.