Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Question:
How best to print to 2 local network Toshiba e-Studio copiers from a web app? I'd like to avoid exposing them directly to the internet.

Context:
I have a web app running locally that has a "print" button. I install the same printer 4 times on Win 10 with different printing preferences. When I click print, the web app looks for those copiers by name and prints various files with a shell script. I need to migrate this locally running thing to Heroku or similar to allow remote employees to print with these various settings. There will always be someone physically colocated with the printers who will use whats printed to assemble reports/documents. We are all on Office 365 with all the data related to this in a shared Sharepoint/OneDrive.

Possible solutions:
-Save the files to Sharepoint or S3. Have the Sharepoint/S3 folder sync'd to a local laptop. Have software on the laptop that prints whatever gets added to the folder. Hopefully theres some off the shelf sub-$200 software to do this already as I'd not like to kludge together some script to do this.
-Again have a laptop running locally, but have it checking an email address. Print whatever comes as attachments to that email address to the email-provided printer name.
-Some sort of server based option, though I have similar security concerns here as IT fuckling isn't really my main gig.
-I think these copiers can be configured to face the internet but I don't want to because of security concerns.
-Something I havent thought of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU