Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I'm a lead technician for a company that produces and services large copier/printers, and they while they do suck, they are far better than garbage tiny printers. Mostly because they cost between 10k-100k so actual engineering went into them.
The best advice I can give anyone is if you need a low volume machine, buy a laser Brother and throw it away when it breaks. If you need occasional color, go to Kinkos. If you need high volume, go lease a machine from a company and let the tech handle things.
Edit: There is nothing that is more wasteful and dumb than every person in the office having their own small printer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

That is amazing, I am/was(it is complicated) a lead senior tech for a photocopier company. I didn't realize there were so many of us on SA. I work for an OEM but it isn't Xerox.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Consumer grade printers are bad because they are made as cheaply as possible. It is as simple as that.
Office/Production printers are usually far higher quality and are much cheaper per copy, but your average person has no use for/can't afford one.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I've outed myself as a Xerox engineer but out of all of our kit out there I work on, the only machines I've had no real mechanical problems on are the 712x, 722x and 53xx machines they tend to have electronics that fall over on the reg but the motors, clutches & drives just seem to go forever. I've currently kicked a Versalink C7025 which is new on the market up to national tech support because for reasons I cannot fathom it's skewing out of the second tray and second tray only, despite all of the motors and gears being fine, and the feeders and rolls being replaced. I think it's an internal setting to do with the torque being applied when it pulls the paper through but gently caress going through the thousands of internal settings to figure out which one it is.

Have you tried different sizes/orientations of paper? The color mid speed models we released recently have an issue with feed on DLT, has to do with a lack of support on the non-feed side, lets the paper wiggle back and worth and causes skewing and wrinkles.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

yup, tried the same ream of paper, landscape and portrait in all four trays and tray 2 was the only one that was jamming. Tried a fresh ream from a different box and that jammed from tray 2 only so it's been escalated for someone else to have a crack at

edit: wait, the only thing I didn't change was the tray itself. Maybe the lifting plate was warped and that was causing the clash as it fed. gently caress sake

Don't forget the tray 2 feed station, the portion that actually grabs the paper. I have found bad units by swapping the feed station between trays and having the issue follow the feed station. Could be as simple as a bad photosensor.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I replaced the feedhead and takeaway roll, and I think that for whatever reason the motor's supply too much torque on tray 2 and only tray 2 that it's causing the paper to smash on the way out, as the paper from trays 3 & 4 has to feed out from the same path and goes through fine. I mean, it's not as bad as a 58xx which was jamming from the far tray of a tandem tray unit, and by jamming I mean a random dog ear from a particular paper type and from a particular tray and replacing every single piece that the paper could touch on the way through to the finisher didn't get rid of it. The paper type would print fine from trays 1,2,43, the bypass and tray 6, but the second it was loaded in tray 3 (which I think has the furthest to travel on those machines) it would randomly dog-ear then misstack in the finisher. After four visits (including an aborted visit where my overnight from the Netherlands order of parts turned out to be a ripped and therefore empty plastic bag that was supposed to contain a bearing), me and the national training guy just agreed to bin the thing

Heh, had that happen a few times when I escalate the call to engineering and they decide it isn't worth the effort. Like the production machine that would blow a board whenever you closed a particular tray. After replacing that board 5-6 times, the national guy just decided to replace the machine as that would cost less than continuing the troubleshooting.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

incoherent posted:

Trip report: Papercut is amazing and if you manage more than 3 printers get it. That is all.

We sell like 20 varieties of Papercut, Equitrac, Autostore, etc, they are all pretty much the same in the end. The hardest part is getting the customer to pay for it, followed closely by most customers having garbage slow networks and IT infrastructure making deployment and operation a pain.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I've not been at work today, so when I turned my phone on I got a barrage of text messages from an unknown number asking if I'd look at their 7535 I'd looked at at some point earlier this year. They started out friendly enough, but the last one basically said "WELL WHAT WAS THE POINT OF GIVING ME YOUR NUMBER IF YOU WEREN'T GOING TO HELP?" I love my job

Never give your number to customers. I took it off my business card 8 years ago and I still get random phone calls.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Tomorrow, I have my favourite kind of job. From the notes I've been given: "User replaced toner, didn't fit, attempted to remove, end of toner stuck in device and now toner spilled within device". I swear to loving jesus some people should just not go near machinery

Murder all end-users.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Everyone hates the copier tech until the machine goes down.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Just had a call diagnosing an issue with fax forwarding that had been escalated to me after multiple techs and IT people couldn't fix the issue. The fix? Customer didn't whitelist the copier IP address in their relay server.
Ugh. Now to go rebuild some developer units because my position has me literally doing 3 people's jobs.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

All solid ink ColorQube machines must die. That is all

Wax-type inks are a dumb nightmare and I'm glad my company only tried making one machine then dumped the entire idea.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

tehllama posted:

I am currently working as back office staff for a small clinic and have some money to upgrade our printers. Currently in addition to a large monochrome fax/copier/bulk job printer we have THREE printers in the back office: a small monochrome laser that isn't even hooked up, a mid size monochrome laser with two trays that is the primary printer both on plain paper and special prescription paper, and a mid size fax/copier/printer that is literally only used as a black and white copier.

As part of my job I am producing nice materials for our patients that include things like information sheets, patient calendars, etc and we are going to get a color laser printer to help facilitate this. It would be nice to get a multifunction and replace the other three back office printers but that is not required. Budget is under 750, ideal stats would be: at least 2 trays and a multipurpose tray (to cover regular paper, order paper, and cardstock/high gloss paper for making nice handout materials), ability to handle up to like 170 gsm paper, automatic duplexing, network connectivity, and copying capability. Brother, OKI, HP, Cannon all make printers that fit this description but I have literally never bought a printer in my life, much less one designed for small business use, and I'm not having a lot of luck finding great comparative reviews. Anyone have any experience with this kind of purchase?

Lease a small color MFP from a dealer, and if you are going to run that heavy stock make absolutely certain you set the media weight correctly. Modern printers use lower temperatures for energy efficiency and the trade off for this is that if you don't set the proper media weight it will not fuse correctly and/or destroy the fuser.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Ah, never mind.

Peachfart fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 21, 2019

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

So we know it isn't a motor or sensor issue because it works occasionally, unless the sensor has paper dust on it. It is unlikely to be paper, but it is possible. I'd say the most likely fix is replacing the feed assembly rollers with a new set, and not grabbing random ones off another model of printer.
Also Brothers are solid machines but very disposable, so it might just be time to drop it in the garbage and get a new one.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The real problem is ink. Ink loving sucks, laser lasts forever.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

mobby_6kl posted:

Speaking of budget printers from 2006, are the different toners (like the actual powdery black stuff) similar enough be used across brands?

No. Toner is radically different between brands. It has to do with the particle size, the chemical composition, and how the charge is intended to work.
It might work for a bit but it will probably destroy your printer.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

As a professional printer toucher, I need to know which way your paper is feeding to properly diagnose your issue. Landscape or portrait?
Also the cost is 275/hr with a 20 dollar materials fee

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

If it is literally feeding the short edge, then it is a very weird issue. But if it is feeding the long edge, I'd bet the drum charge roller is dirty and is causing the yellow line, and the black stuff is likely fuser related, with a possibility of the black drum having an issue. You can be certain if it is the drum or fuser by printing a few solid magenta or cyan prints. If the black ghosting stays the same color it is drum, if it changes to the printed color it is fuser.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Now I'm not an expert on this particular model of printer, but on any of my machines I'd suspect the itb(internal transfer belt) cleaning unit. If you get ghosting from literally every color it is the most likely option. Your fuser looks perfect and your drums look like crap(especially yellow which is where that line is coming from) but the ghosting is very likely to be the itb cleaning unit. I'm bored so I'm gonna look up your model and then update this post after I find out how your printer cleans the itb.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

All printers/copiers should have a interlock switch on any covers that lead to major components for the sheer possibility that someone takes a laser in the eye and immediately goes blind. Like, no joke, you'd be blind in that eye permanently. Oh, and the lasers are invisible to regular sight, so fun times.
On my equipment the interlock cuts all power to 24v, leaving only 5v operational.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Actually the more important reason is that color laser copiers/printers are constantly running calibrations and adjustments between jobs to stabilize the toner density. These calibrations require all toners to be available.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Facebook Aunt posted:

Okay, but isn't that by design? If mixing all four toners makes a blacker black, why not mix all four toners in one cartridge and make that the new black toner?

That isn't how it works. Also, the industry calls this 'process black', and by itself it looks like poo poo. The idea is the you put a thin layer of the other colors on top of black to increase its density, making it look more 'black'. It also isn't used by default for all vendors, as for my company it is an option but not one we normally enable.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Nermal. posted:

Definitely looks like the place to ask the following.

New business has 16 psychologists. They want the ability to scan both from a document feeder and the ol’ glass top for copies of books and whatnot.

They are estimating their print numbers at around 3000-5000 pages a month but I think they’re completely full of poo poo and it’s maybe half that volume. Time will tell.

They want something solid, would prefer color but it’s not essential, budget is under $3000.

I don’t know the pros and cons to monochrome and color, which media is the right balance of easy to use, high volume, and not ridiculously expensive, etc. I also personally believe they are trying to spend WAY more than they need to, but if they end up with something that lasts for years and years it might be worth it.

It’s also worth mentioning this particular group is terrible at operating anything you plug in with a screen, so anything with a super complicated interface might not be a great option either.

Any direction is appreciated.

For the love of God get a dealer to lease you something, with that many prints you want a decent floor standing model.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The answer is always: if you need a printer, buy a Brother laser. If you want color... Then still buy a Brother laser, you don't need it that badly. Okay, you really want color? Are you willing to spend at least 500 bucks? Consider buying a color laser but they are big and pricey. Oh, you want to print photos? Buy an inkjet and prepare to spend ungodly amounts of money on ink.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

lol at fixing an hp inkjet, just throw it in the trash and get another garbage tier printer.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

It is hilarious that Google Print was killed off and there are multitudes rushing in to fill the space. I wonder if Google fell into the the trap of thinking the fabled 'paperless office' was finally here.
On a more useful note, Papercut is dirt cheap for a print management software suite and works well, I recommend it.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

other people posted:

Turns out it still prints colours fine. just not black.

So I'll start jostling the black ink tank now I guess.

The cartridge or hose is probably clogged. But again, inkjet is garbage, laser is far superior.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

MF_James posted:

I hate the printer we have in our house, wife insisted on having one, I protested because that means we are letting the devil into our house; fine I guess I do need to print something like once every 3 months, and I guess it's a pain in the rear end to go to whatever print place is near by to do it... I agreed to it but with a catch, if the thing doesn't work it's not my problem, which has gone well in the sense that I haven't had to troubleshoot issues she has with it.

Every time I want to use the thing i have to play "Why isn't my computer seeing the printer this time/why is the job just disappearing" for 20 minutes before it works.

Every.loving.Time.

I knew it was a mistake to let this beast into our house...

You are probably doing one of these things:
Using WSD instead of IP address for the port(WSD is the default for Windows since 8 and it causes all sorts of stupid problems)
Using an HP. So many weird connection problems.
Using the terrible software that came with the printer. Go find the actual driver, it can usually be found online and is way faster and more reliable.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

stevewm posted:

I understand what they where shooting for when they developed this technology. But good god does it suck at actually doing what it was supposed to do.

It was supposed to be Windows' answer to Bonjour. In reality... not so much.

Edit: In fact I highly recommend any IT person that has to touch printers take a close look at the port the driver was installed to. Changing WSD out for a simple IP address port solves many problems, from extremely slow printing to weird PDF corruption, not to mention the weird tendency of WSD to just stop working out of the blue. Lots of IT guys bemoan how terrible printers are when in most cases they are just set up incorrectly.

Peachfart fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 7, 2021

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

CaptainSarcastic posted:

If you're printing photos you want a dedicated photo printer, which is generally going to be an inkjet. For everything else a laser is superior.

You can get amazing color photos from laser, but then you are in the 'my machine costs more than a car' territory. So I agree.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I've owned a couple photo printers over the years, first an old HP Photosmart that did pretty well on the right paper, and then a Canon that could do up to at least 11x17 and produced results indistinuishable from or better than the prints I had made at a dedicated photo printing shop (again, paper made a difference). I have a hard time picturing a non-inkjet printer capable of this kind of quality, but your statement about it "costs more than a car" probably explains my ignorance on the matter.

Lets just say that when you enter the 6 digit range, laser printers can be the size of an RV and have more colors than CMYK. White toner is common at that level.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Oyster posted:

Not going to shill for a former employer but I thought the gold and silver toner in the Iridesse was pretty neat on a conceptual level. The fact that it's gold, silver, clear, and fluorescent pink toners that are required in addition to CMYK is wild to me. I get clear for more of a gloss that other toners can't do, but.....fluorescent pink? Cool!

That has to do with the limitations of the subtractive color process(CMY). It doesn't have much to do with the home environment, but in the higher end business world it becomes very important.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The cause of those ugly prints is overtoning, or too high a ratio of toner to developer. Or possibly a damaged over-exposed drum. Your black drum is garbage.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

V4 drivers are garbage, I push all my customers away from them. And you have to be very specific about TLS support, for example some of our old machines from about 7 years ago supported TLS 1.1 but not 1.2, meaning you could(at the time) scan to Gmail but not Office 365. I have also had requests for TLS 1.3, which is a whole other thing.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

sexual Norm posted:

I'm trying to replace a large office printer-- a Konica Minolta C554e that is a true piece of poo poo to us daily. Does anyone have any experience with large office-scale printers?

Oh, don't get another Konica(they suck). Ask a few reps of major companies that lease machines(Canon, Ricoh, Xerox, etc). I personally suggest going with a dealer that specializes in a single vendor, because small dealers love to support everything and their techs will have zero training or parts.
But the real info you need is:
How many copies do we make a month?
What features do we need?
What are the available dimensions/power?
What am I willing to spend?
And give all those except the last one to those dealers.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Three Olives posted:

They just replaced our work machines under our contract, as they were decommissioning them they had some sort of close out service menu print out attached on them, our main printer I believe had something like a million pages. I actually want to say it was closer to 1.2M. I mean, I know we print A LOT but I was absolutely shocked that was the duty life a largely problem free machine got chunked at.

Are these fuckers just decommissioned, trashed and written off or is some small business thinking they are getting an incredible deal on a very, very fancy copy machine that has been completely run into the ground? Or do these things have a useful life after an operation that is just printing shitloads a month with high reliability needs gets a factory fresh machine.

edit: Just looked up our new copy machines, 50,000 page monthly volume and we have multiple identical ones. 1.2M pages checks out.

It depends. If the machine is low usage and in good shape, it will likely get refurbished with new consumables and resold, either locally or in an 'emerging' market. If the machine isn't selected for refurbishing, but is still within 5 or so years old, it may be broken down for parts such as boards and other parts that have no expected short lifespan.
If it is an old pos that is otherwise useless, most companies will strip it and send what parts can be recycled to be recycled, rest is trashed.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Don't use aftermarket toners. Toner is specifically made for a model, it can have differences in color, electrical resistance(this matters), the temperature at which it fuses, and density. You don't want to throw any random crap in your machine, because that can cause a very expensive fix.

Also the above poster is 100% correct.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Do you really need color? Can you just go to the local store for color printing instead?
Because the issues you mention are what happens to all inkjet machines, and color laser is very expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

BTW for any future posters: there is precisely one situation(for a home user) where buying inkjet is a good idea. If you print almost exclusively color photos, and you use the machine constantly. Even in this situation you will spend a trillion dollars on ink, but it makes sense.
Otherwise, buy a b/w laser for home use, or go through a dealer(and see what they recommend) for business use.