Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Hed posted:

If I buy something old but sturdy/enterprise with a JetDirect like a Color Laserjet 5550dn or 4600dtn can I run some software to also offer it up as an AirPrint device?

AFAIK you can use softwares like printopia or presto but those require windows or Mac(along with a pc always on), or a lantronics xprintserver but that cost a lot. If you need a hp printer with AirPrint/eprint the m4xx series is cheap and reliable(just slow). I have a m476dn (AirPrint works perfectly) and I’m currently running on 0% ink since a year but it still prints fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Define cheap, brother have plenty of picks for laser mfp in mono or color.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Pham Nuwen posted:

It's probably time for me to get a laser printer, after two recent trips to the public library to print forms.

I'd like a duplex-capable laser printer which can take OEM toner carts. It would be really nice if it had a scanner with automatic feed, too. Most of all, I don't want something that needs some bullshit HP App or whatever installed on my computer. If I can keep it under $200 that would be really nice, but could probably be persuaded to go over. Recommendations?

Somebody on page 1 mentioned a printer that scans directly to an FTP server, which would be neat...

Most workgroup MFP (aka non-poo poo all in ones) will let you scan to a shared folder(create one on your NAS or in a pinch on your pc) so no need for software to be on your pc. Brother are good for cheap laser MFPs. Software is a tad clunky.

Just try getting a printer with google print and AirPrint. That way you can use it on phones/tablets.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Heners_UK posted:

FOR FUCKS SAKE Google... You're killing Google Cloud Print? Thanks, from all Android users.

That article has some prime takes “we are killing a device-agnostic remote printing platform because we added CUPS(and its shittastic device specific drivers) to chrome os”. My printer still have AirPrint and hp eprint to fall back to but I’m kinda pissed.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Volguus posted:

? What was that even good for? What would people (or you) would use that cloud print thing for? I got a lovely HP printer not too long ago and it has things like I could send an email to this address and it would print the document. WTF? Who in their right mind would want to do such a thing? What's the use case?

Printing from your android mobile without having to juggle between each printer vendor custom poo poo apps, print your stuff while on the move so by the time you get home it’s there, print directly from google web apps without having to setup poo poo on your incognito/kiosk pc, just to name a few. You could do most of them with hp eprint but not as cleanly.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Geemer posted:

If you ever figure out someone you don't like's printer email address you can sign it up for all sorts of newsletters or send dumb pictures.

HP ePrint has a whitelist mode where you set up a list of family emails to print and ignore the rest. No weird/unknown print yet in more than five years of ownership.

Volguus posted:

I hear all these "use cases" and I'm sorry, I just don't see it. I mean, it only takes 20 seconds to print something. I would never think that i need to print something while I'm away from the house for it to be "ready" . Or ... "having to juggle between each printer vendor custom poo poo apps," ? What apps? What vendors?

"print directly from google web apps without having to setup poo poo on your incognito/kiosk pc" Where is that kiosk pc we're talking about? An internet cafe? I suppose in some parts of the world they're still going strong, so i guess there's some value there. Maybe.

Nah, I'm still confused.

Both airprint(ios) and hp print services(android) require LOCAL LAN to work(i don't know about brother or other brands but i suspect they work the same), so if i wanted to go to say a theatre after work, instead of just print the tickets via cloudprint and pick them when i get home, i would have to open a VPN link and then print those. Some people don't like to print personal poo poo on work-owned equipment so i could print stuff from my work desktop with cloudprint without pissing off my infosec team. On my work laptop i just required to upload stuff to google drive and press print from there, no interaction with chrome or local os, no need to install whatever infernal concoction hp laserjets requires to work.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Nov 22, 2019

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Volguus posted:

I suppose others didn't either since they're shutting down the service.

Google has recently killed its GCM platform, which was used by an awful lot of old google services. I suspect it's related. That and the fact that cloud print is a resource/dev overhead compared to just add cups to the chromeos image and pray for the best.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Freakazoid_ posted:

Now why would that be? I know we can just say "covid" but I wasn't aware this particular sector was hit. I'd have to guess more people working at home means more documents need to be printed at home?

It's like toilet paper, there has been a run on home office equipment that most brick&mortar stores weren't ready to cover. Eventually stock is going to refill but until then prices are going to be higher than norm.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is there a current recommendation / consensus for a reliable all-in-one printer/scanner/copier? Or a "best available" given the current ~*all this*~ ?

Brother or hp are my common picks. If you say color or b/w I might even suggest a model....

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh, yeah, B/W, I ain't splurging on color

Hp m145 or m148 depending on the budget. The letters after the numbers indicate if if there is a duplex module(d), a integrated WiFi(w) or wired card(n)

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

SourKraut posted:

So what are the current views on HP Laserjets? I currently have a HP multi-purpose Officejet that just died on me, and it seems like to get it repaired is going to cost almost as much as the printer cost me itself.

Since my wife and I print and scan somewhat often, but maybe not often enough to keep inkjets from having issues, I have been looking at some of the laser printers with both scan and printing options. Based on reading the thread I had been looking at Brother and Canon, but I saw that Costco just put this HP Laserjet on sale, and so I wasn't sure whether it would be a good buy or if it's still best to avoid HP products.

https://www.costco.com/.product.100652793.html

Seems decent, just be aware that there is a little bit of delay from sending the print to the printer spitting out prints that seems to be a bit slower than average on low end hp laser jet MFP

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Rooted Vegetable posted:

Tomorrow is the last day of Google Cloud Print.

Any suggestions for replacements? Frankly I like being able to print from anywhere (e.g. return labels for later boxing)

If you have an HP printer, ePrint should still work, letting you just send an email with a pdf attachment to print.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Rooted Vegetable posted:

I don't, but I do have a Brother.

For Android: Mopria seems to work (locally) and is generic to many printers and Brother's Print Service also works locally.

Need to dig into the MFC-L2750DW series features to see if it has email to print...

Brother equivalent to HP ePrint apps is called Web Connect, you upload the docs to gdrive/box/etc and then print from those. Direct mobile should be done over the iPrint&scan app but i've never used it remotely.

Your printer doesn't mention it but there is a direct eprint equivalent https://help.brother-usa.com/app/an...20use%20Attach.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 2, 2021

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Kind of a general question here:

Because of work from home I've been planning to upgrade from the old HP inkjet All-in-one I have kicking around to a laser AIO, with a document feeder as part of it.

I've gotten kind of spoiled by the old but functional web interface on the HP, particularly since I spend most of my time in Linux and it makes scanning easy. I can scan a document using the web interface and download it locally regardless of OS or browser I'm using.

At work we have Konica/Minolta machines that store scans locally and you can retrieve from a user box by logging into the machine, which accomplishes the same thing but even simpler. You can even print directly from the machine's web interface, which is surprisingly handy.

My question is whether any low-priced laser AIOs have similar features or if they pretty much rely on a driver/software interface to accomplish scanning? Searching on this so far has not felt like I get clear answers.

What I want is a laser AIO with a document feeder that works well with Windows, Linux, and Android, pretty much in that order.

Given my prior experience I lean toward HP being the most likely to play nicely, but I know Brother is highly recommended and I see Canon printers in the same sub-$200 pricepoint I'm looking at, so I thought I'd see if anyone had insights on it.

Thanks!

Do you have a nas or any other network storage available(failing that a usb drive)? Otherwise you are going to need a MFP with a drive to do scan to file or file to print features.

If you have storage available pretty much every modern laser printer will do.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Just got in my mail a reminder from my Microsoft partners, Azure Universal Print goes GA in March 2021. If you are going to engage in bulk MFP purchases shortly, you might want to ask your supplier for direct compatibility if you can

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Azure Universal Print went GA yesterday, meaning everyone with a A3/5 or E3/5 can use it now. Sadly they decided to use print procesess (eg print jobs, not print pages) as payment structure. Each user provides 5 monthly print processes to the tenant pool, if you want more you need to buy addons (which add 500 pages each). IMHO numbers are too low to make it useful, anybody which has print complexity issues will require far more prints than the free quotas and asking management for funds when local print server works fine might be hard.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 4, 2021

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

E: Are you sure about the 100 jobs per user figure? This page https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/universal-print/fundamentals/universal-print-license#whats-included-with-universal-print says it's only 5 jobs per month per person.

I read that number quickly in the stream of ignite news, I might have confused it. 5 print/month pretty much kills it.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Facebook Aunt posted:

How do "print jobs" even work? Like if I print a sheet off, then I read it and see I made a typo, so I print it again is that two jobs? Meanwhile someone printing off a 300 page spreadsheet is one job?

Each time you send poo poo to a printer -> print job. Page counts are irrelevant.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

I've been looking at small multi-function options and a lot of the features I want (duplex printing and scanning, non-poo poo user interface, good cloud storage options) seem to be exclusive to colour laser models, which then come with insane costs for the toner packs. Even looking at compatible supplies it's almost the price of the printer to put toners into it.

Have you investigated brother 27xx mfp models? They should cover all your requirements

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Nostalgamus posted:

As far as I can tell there's no thread for scanners, but they're basically the same device these days, so I'll ask here.

Is there any significant difference in scan quality between cheaper and more expensive printer/scanners? Is a cheap one sufficient for most normal use cases? I'm planning to scan some old books, and trying to determine whether a cheap scanner will give me decent picture quality.

If you scan old books i would suggest to use portable scanners so that you don't stress the book bindings too much, We used IRIScan units to cover our legacy book archive.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Orvin posted:

Thanks for the idea to use a thermal label printer. I will pass that along to see if that is a possibility.

+1 on the thermal printer, brother makes decent units in the QL series which now have multicolor label options, just be aware that the label roll (and final output) on any thermal unit will get stiff over time due to the plastic degrading so don’t bulk purchase consumables.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

MagusDraco posted:

We hae a Sharp MXC301W (or something close to that model #) purchased through some management company (instead of leasing though we paid for ink and servicing). The company got bought out by another. The new company dropped us a year later due to "we don't service this manufacturer anymore" or something like that after we had their tech come out and do a repair.

Couple years later and a fusor is damaged/melted a bit I guess after having to print 600 pages (something we do like at most twice a year). Paper gets vertical wrinkles on it when things print through

There any good color fax, print, copy, scan printers you can just purchase when at most we print maybe 1000 to 2000 pages a month and need it more for copies/scanning to shared network folders (with a 50 page ADF being almost required) or am I better off just finding another company to lease something from/by some miracle get them to fix what we already have? I know nothing about repairing printers/copy machines

Never buy a mfp unless it’s for home usage, lease it every time.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I saw the HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M182nw. While looking into this, I saw a lot of stuff about HP being fussy with their cartridges and/or requiring an account logged in to something to print. What the hell?.

The cart thing is just a chip to validate the toners as genuine, i also don't advise going with compatible units since it will make the prints look poo poo(if i remember correctly m1xx have drums and ink in the same cart). The account is required for connected services or their managed ink product(where you pay hp a monthly fee to get toners and maintenance for that printer).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

HorseHeadBed posted:

Not sure whether to post here or the Mac software thread, but I've got an HP M281fdw colour laser MFD. I have occasional problems where MS Word documents make it completely lose its poo poo. The printer will spool up to print, then crash and reboot. The screen usually says Code 79 service error, which when I research it says it's either a corrupt firmware or a dodgy DIMM (AFAIK I can't replace the memory on this printer and the code seems like a generic bit of HP speak).

I thought it was the printer that was borked, but having done a few power cycles, updated the firmware and tried printing other Word docs of a similar page count and complexity (20 odd pages, no graphics or anything fancy) this particular file still makes it crap the bed. The other docs seem to print fine, but this one crashes the printer, even when I make a PDF of the document from Word and try and print that in Preview. Maybe there's some weird escape command or bit of data in there or something?

Anyway, this is just casting a net to see if anyone has any experience of anything similar? (Moc OS 12.4 / Word 16.63.1)

Can you test making a PDF out of that document, putting on a fat32 usb drive and connecting that usb drive to the front usb port? If it crashes that way too, the error is on the word side of things.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

HorseHeadBed posted:

Yep, that crashed it, too. Tried printing it from LibreOffice and it did print, albeit by substituting Courier for some other monospaced font. Suspect that the problem's in the font or something? Anyway, I'm back to using LibreOffice because although it has a horrible UI, it seems a little bit better behaved in not doing stupid poo poo like this.

Thanks both for your help ! :tipshat:

Word will try to keep fonts as defined in the docx file, hoping that the end user(be it another computer or printer) will understand them even if the computer is running on do not. Which might end up in issues when the rendering is done one the printer(postscript) rather than on the pc(pcl or whatever equivalent your printer make uses). Unless you work in professional print, i advise against postscript drivers if you can.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

HorseHeadBed posted:

The HP driver has options to do with card stocks and things that I need for my work. What’s odd is uninstalling MS Word seems to made the Courier font disappear from my system. I thought it was one of the fonts that came with Mac OS, but Word ate it all the same..

Courier is an optional font on Monterey and higher, you can reinstall it using Font Book.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

HorseHeadBed posted:

Hm. It's not showing as one of the faded out fonts in Font Book. Unless you know of some mojo to get it back, I guess I'm using Courier New, which isn't quite as heavy and legible to my old eyes.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212587

It seems that simple courier has been removed, i misremembered being an optional download

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Tricky Ed posted:

I'll start this out saying that I've been HP biased since last century when I was an office tech keeping a fleet of HP 4100s running. My current printer is an 11 year old HP 2025dn which should keep working for a long time, except HP has only released a generic driver for Windows 11 so it looks like I'm losing features on my new computer.

Also right now I'm using an old inkjet all-in-one that's sitting in a spare bedroom for scanning, which works but isn't ideal.

1. Am I actually losing access to stuff like duplex printing and the ability to print an occasional envelope from the supplemental tray with these generic drivers, or am I actually just losing HP bloat?
2. Does any printer manufacturer make a color laser all-in-one that is built like those old HPs, i.e. designed to be maintained by a person with hands? I've read RTings reviews but they don't mention how well they open up. Should I actually be looking at low-level enterprise stuff if I want to find user-replaceable wear items?

I realize this is like buying a new car because it's out of gas, but if my printer's no longer being supported by the manufacturer I'd rather get a new one that does all the things I want than spend $500 on a new rack of color toner and keep running into the next room to scan the second side of a page.

There is a good chance the universal printer driver(PCL5) will cover all the functions of your printer and HP has pretty much stopped developing custom drivers for anything without a scanner/fax inside. Try checking if the universal driver works for your printer.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Epson making laser printers is a new one for me, no shop or distributor here held anything but ecotank units from them.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
My color laser printer (hp m476dn) is still running on the original color toners. Spent about 400€ and hasn’t skipped a beat.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Autsj posted:

Question for the thread of people that actually know printers. (I don't, I just hate them)

My HP Envy thing has finally frustrated me for the last time and it is getting flying from the balcony lessons soon. I need a new one, thread seems to like Brother lasers at around the 200+ mark. I've had a lot of expenses recently and that is kinda awkward on the budget. I was looking at the HL-1110 and HL-L2310D models which are much more doable in price, are these ok picks for just semi-irregular text printing (sheet music mostly)? Or are there significant issues with these budget models that justify the more expensive versions?

I would suggest getting a networked printer instead of a USB-only one, that way you could use it more efficiently. Jumping to HL-L2350DW adds a wifi interface and HL-L2375DW adds both wired and wireless links.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

PBCrunch posted:

I'm tired of loving around with CUPS and leaving a computer on all the time to print things. My wife has an iPhone and a Windows laptop, our daughter has an iPad from school and an old Chromebook running Arch, and I have an Android phone and a host of machines running Arch. I want to be able to scan or print from any of these machines.

I want a (cheap if possible) networked multifunction monochrome laser (or LED I guess) that will let me print and scan from basically anything. I prefer ethernet over Wi-fi, but I'll take what I can get. I don't really want to be locked into any kind of app ecosystem and I don't want any cloud dependence. I would maybe also consider one of those ink jets with the tanks if the ink doesn't blur when you highlight. I would prefer to avoid HP and Lexmark because they seem to always be the two companies trying to use DRM for their own nefarious purposes.

You need to search for airprint and mopria in the spec sheet. I think pretty much every laser brother will have those.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

knox_harrington posted:

I want to buy a new multifunction printer/scanner for home office use and have a 1k CHF voucher for a specific shop. I'm personally ambivalent to whether it prints in colour, but my partner would like the option, and she'll be moving back to freelancing shortly so that's in the spec.

We're replacing a 10 year old Samsung multifunction laser that is mechanically fine but no longer possible to get drivers for, and also impossible to get to connect to a network.

It's not going to get used very much but I'd very much like it to Just Work when it's needed. Especially given the vouchers I don't really care how much it costs but it's going to live under my partner's desk so it can't be huge (like the Brother 8000 series look).

I think I've narrowed the choice down to a HP MFP M479DW or a Brother MFC-L3750CDW.

https://www.mediamarkt.ch/de/product/_hp-mfp-m479dw-1954135.html

https://www.mediamarkt.ch/de/product/_brother-mfc-l3750cdw-1862236.html

Absent anything else I think I prefer the HP but I see the thread is pretty pro-Brother. Is one preferable over the other or anything else I need to consider? Any other options I need to look at for a solid home office printer?

Main use case will be scanning and printing any work docs or personal admin docs, mainly from PCs but I guess potentially from my macbook, ipad or iphone.

Out of those two I would say HP. Just make sure the firmware is up to date, HP publish them every semester or so if the printer is supported.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Fatrick posted:

I need to source a good B&W laser printer for printing label sheets (it needs a manual feed slot) and nothing else. So, no multifunction, just straight printing. Needs USB connectivity.

Priority goes to ease of use and durability. So I don't mind paying more for a quality unit, vs. The cheapest HP printer.

My boss has zero tolerance for poo poo not working, hence the demand for ease of use/durability. Mostly because he's a hard working guy that needs his technology to keep up with him, rather than slow him down. We have big office multifunctions, and plotter printers and all kinds of sophisticated poo poo, but he hates them because they're constantly bogged down with little problems that are easy to fix, but just interrupts getting poo poo done.

Quick look I'm thinking the Brother HL-2370DW, or the Canon LBP236dw. The HP stuff seems to require proprietary software or doesn't like to wake up from sleep mode, so gently caress them.

We purchased a fleet of brother QL720NW and dropped using label sheets in a rather similar scenario. The printers have no consumables beside brother QL label rolls, which cost very little when purchased in bulk.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

Can your label supplier give you the labels on rolls rather than sheets? A thermal transfer printer like a Zebra will do a better job of this. Brady also make printers dedicated to labelling and you can feed things like heatshrink tube into them.

Brother has a dedicated program for labeling wires in their less complex PT series

https://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=p900weus&faqid=faqp00100256_000

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

I think people are just being cautious because you've mentioned reliability. The 2.25x1" labels that you linked are available on a roll (S100X225VATY) and Newark lists them at $600/5000 with the label sheets at $220/1000.

Anyway, in terms of desktop printers the best one I can see that would suit your requirements is the OKI B412dn which has a manual feed front tray, and you can flip the rear tray down so the paper path is as straight as possible, and you can put a 7000 page toner into it.

Edit: Actually ignore that, I had no idea they pulled out the US market.

In our locale all OKI are rebadged Ricoh anyways, so maybe they stopped importing them to reduce confusion.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

codo27 posted:

I loving hate printers. I helped a local business when their printer kept printing this status sheet (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-constantly-prints-get-esclscannerstatus/fec2a455-8b89-4b06-ba4f-e4f7cc8e0c8d). Turns out its some kinda W11 issue with USB printers. I had set it up on the network though when there in person, but I was trying to remote support today as I'm very comfortable here at home in my pjs. No loving sir could I get that thing to print on the network. After wasting too much time, turns out the printer is using wireless instead of wired. Thankfully I was able to change that from the web panel, though I dont understand why it wouldn't work over wireless when everything was setup right and the PC could see the printer fine.

If client isolation is enabled on the wireless network, you are not going to print anything. It's an uncommon setting on consumer kit but far more common on smb and enterprise kit.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Last time I checked, the brother print and scan app was just a GUI toolbox, not a printer/scanner driver. Did you install the drivers for that model of printer?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

evilmiera posted:

Far as I know it's installed and set as default. I even specified and picked out the individual printer when trying to print from his browser.

Can you do a screen cap of your browser print panel? If you use edge or chrome you might be stuck in save to pdf mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Fabulousity posted:

I think everyone in the thread knows to stay away from consumer HP printers for many reasons today, but HP is busy working on new reasons for tomorrow:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/02/hp-wants-you-to-pay-up-to-36-month-to-rent-a-printer-that-it-monitors/

Hopefully it crashes and burns because you know Canon, Epson, Brother, etc. will be watching to see if it turns a buck.

I mean, if that fee also includes maintenance and support it's not actually bad. Printer ownership being outsourced is what most people do in business.