Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I have a Brother laser printer* that is finally reaching end-of-life after about 11 years and 115k pages (well, it's about at the end of its second drum, anyway, and the toner cartridges we get have a tendency to be leaky, and the cost of maintaining it is getting prohibitive. The heart of the printer still works.)

So it looks like it's time to get a new printer.

• Is Brother still good for laser printers?
• If so, what would you recommend from them?
• If not, who would you recommend?

Any new printer would need to be able to print at 1200 DPI and connect with an Ethernet cable. Ideally it'd be about as durable as the old printer.

Bonus question: Would it be worth it to get a MFC as well, or is a dedicated printer better?

Do you have any recommendations for a good scanner, if the answer is 'dedicated printer'?

Any new scanner would need to be able to scan transparencies (film), books, and regular documents, and be able to scan at 1200 DPI.

*A HL-6050DN, in case you're curious

Quackles fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I set up my neighbor's HP inkjet. It tried to sign them up for the ink subscription service during the driver installation.

(I said no, 'cause it felt pushy.)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I don't have a sample on hand, I will snap a pic the next time it happens, but I have a brother L2710DW (b+w only) that occasionally puts down a horizontal (slightly diagonal usually) black smudge across a print. I would say it mostly happens the first time it's been used after sitting for a while, it's usually not a huge deal to just print again but is this also likely to be a drum issue?

Check that toner hasn't leaked from the cartridge. A design flaw I've found in these printers is that toner can occasionally get out of the cartridge when it's not supposed to.

If there is toner in the insides of the printer, I found wiping it up with Kleenex worked fairly well.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

VueScan! Works with (almost) any scanner, has saved my rear repeatedly.

https://www.hamrick.com/

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

BTW, if you just want to half-rear end a proxy in the mean time, I had historically taken an Energy card (this was Pokémon; I guess you'd take a Land), laser print the proxy on regular copy paper, then put it and the land together in a sleeve.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Oh, yeah, if you want color, that's a whole other thing. I was using store brand copy paper and a Brother (black-and-white) laser printer :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Brother printers are currently the gold standard for laser printers imo.

Don't worry about HP, their quality just went off a cliff in the last 10 years.