Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

I have this old Panasonic KX-MB781 all-in-one black-and-white laser printer that not longer works with USB. Furthermore, it's a pretty lovely Winprinter whose driver invalidates itself after some time; I think various Windows updates cause it to require a driver reinstall, which definitely requires a reboot to properly complete. I was hoping to get a new multi-function laser that can:

1. Print color as needed, but most work would still be black-and-white.
2. Still scan from a bed or a feed.
3. Could be comfortably installed in Linux. Like, my mom has this Epson WF-3540 that I added for her "no problem" if you need some kind of benchmark.
4. Can also print from B5 paper automatically--not from a manual feed. I use B5 for my notebooks and I found I don't have a printer that supports it at all!
5. Height less than 18 inches.
6. Can host wirelessly.
7. Bonus points for duplex printing.

FAX don't matter.

I saw the HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M182nw. While looking into this, I saw a lot of stuff about HP being fussy with their cartridges and/or requiring an account logged in to something to print. What the hell? I also saw something like the Brother MFC-L3710CW.

If there's some magical new printer coming out within a year I should wait for then I can hold off but I am assuming sure this market is pretty drat stable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Yeah that was a good reply. I measured this Panasonic and it's just a little over 12 inches as it is so I think I'm looking at much taller no matter what and shouldn't fuss over it. It had spoiled me in that regard . . . and only in that regard. I have to concede that color toner just fattens up the machine a whole bunch.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

We finally settled on a Brother MFC-L3770CDW and I might as well be trying to buy the horn off of a unicorn right now. Office Depot wants to act like they sell them for $499 but they just don't have them at all anywhere.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Yeah there literally was a Best Buy next door. They had one on display but none available. Online, it is just grayed out; no option to wait. Now, I did not go over to customer service and try to finagle or anything. I was gunning for Office Depot because my rewards card would net me 10% there this month.

Edit: I don't know if I'd have any more luck trying various off numbers from that L3770 code. There's a 3710, a 3750 and stuff like that. My take from the effort post before are those would be older versions and probably be even more out of stock. Also, my wife really liked a Brother bluetooth-capable label printer that . . . also was out of stock.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 10, 2022

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

I was able to back order it on Office Depot today for some reason. It actually gave me the "add to cart" option and I jumped on that.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

The printer ended up showing up this week. It's been working real well so far but I have not pushed it. Printing from a cell phone makes me feel like I have finally caught up to the previous decade. I haven't seen how well it prints to B5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Well I've tried to get it to print on some B5 and it's not working out very well. FoxIt keeps doing something that has it print the page 90 degrees. It also just won't do a double-sided print from it.

The print job was a map generated from a web site so I'm going to regenerate it from a normal page size, but I won't get a result from that until tomorrow.