Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Since it seems like this may also be the de facto scanner thread, I'm in the market for a multi-page scanner. I have Scanbot on my phone for one-off stuff, but we're trying to go paperless at home and I just got a new job+promotion which means I actually have to sign contracts and stuff. I don't want to break the bank unless it's really worth it to spend $500+ rather than $300.

Not essential but would be nice: scan to network (Samba) folder, scan to cloud (Dropbox/Sharepoint), solid Linux support. Would consider spending an extra $50-$100 for the above but the most important thing is a good scanner that will last me for a while.

Current candidates: Epson ES-400, Brother ADS-2200, and Brother ADS-2700W. Anyone got experience with either or an alternate recommendation?

Centrist Committee posted:

Just skimmed the thread. I WFH and could use a printer, especially now that the print shops are all closed. Is this still good guidance?

I bought a Brother 5370DW (which I think is a predecessor or more basic version of the 5470) in 2008 and it is unironically one of the best computer purchases I have ever made, at least on a value per dollar basis rather than a fun-having basis. Doubly so after I married someone who (at the time) was WFH as an editor for an academic publisher. It's not without its annoyances but honestly it's been over a decade since I last was in a "man, gently caress PRINTERS" sort of mood.

The main annoyance was that the wifi was WEP-only, which probably isn't an issue on a newer printer. When we moved to our current place I had to put it out of reach of a reasonable ethernet cable run, so I used an old Linksys WRT54 running DD-WRT as a bridge for a little while, then put it behind a Pi running CUPS over wifi. I set the Pi up about a year ago and haven't had to touch it since except to load paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU