Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Hey if my inkjet needs to do the head cleaning procedure all the time now is there something I can manually clean or is it just time for something new?

If that's the case, for cost of ink / toner, is laser still better even with color? Seems like the advertised PPM is way higher, but I've never had a color laser.

Thanks for your help with these terrible devices!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Cool, Costco has an HP color laser on sale, although consumer reports seem to favor Brother for reliability. I pulled my old Brother B&W laser out of the basement meanwhile, still really great for printing music quickly, although the drum has some spots on it. It also has an FTP, WWW, Telnet, etc. server built into it that I want to keep firewalled!

Also for the inkjet I discovered you can flush the heads with some magic solution to clear dried ink.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What are courtesy prints? Sorry just curious :-P

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Let's just all use Laserjet 4p's until the end of time.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I mean it's a budget printer from 2006. It's not worth $20 unless it's in really good shape. Ya got fleeced

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Any thoughts on the Brother MFC-L3770CDW?

It's a color laser AIO. Pretty good reviews.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I have the 3770, not sure the difference, but I like it. I haven't tried it for true printing but I can say printing on plain paper regular quality doesn't look great for regular photos, compared to an inkjet. Everything else looks great. I haven't tried more than a few things cause I'm still on my "intro" color cartridges. The glossy paper I have is for inkjet printers, I think.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Paul MaudDib posted:

Looking for a color laser all-in-one, with single-pass duplex scanning with ADF, narrowed it down to the Brother L3770CDW ($430), L8900CDW ($558), and Canon MF743Cdw ($530).

How good is the canon driver stack, on windows and linux? I’m used to Brother and it’s zero bullshit there, but the canon does have notably better color reproduction than the brother models.

Dunno, everyone but brother seems to be kinda poo poo overall, maybe I’ll just suck it up on the color quality. It’s not something I’ll be using heavily, I’ll mostly be doing B+W. But the ADF duplex scanner requirement locks me into a $270 printer anyway (L2750DW) and for an extra $160 it’s worth stepping up to color just for occasional color graphics use. Serious stuff I’ll go to Costco or fedex.

I have the l3770cdw and it seems good. I'm not a heavy user though. Just was tired of shooting chemicals through ink jets to unclog them. It's big AF. Love the duplex scanning. The interface on my old Epson was better though. Oh well. I found that the print driver updater seems to use 20% cpu for no reason so I disabled it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I don't know the answer but if they still have the drivers for Windows 7 and up 64 bit on the website I bet they work