Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Peachfart posted:

The answer is always: if you need a printer, buy a Brother laser. If you want color... Then still buy a Brother laser, you don't need it that badly. Okay, you really want color? Are you willing to spend at least 500 bucks?

While still bulky, if you have the space, color lasers aren't that expensive anymore. I replaced my Brother B&W MFC with a Brother Color MFC not too long ago, $400 gets you a proper office level machine with office level features like scanning to email/cloud storage/USB directly from the machine (No computer needed), shortcut buttons, etc. Mine is probably complete and total overkill in size and cost for most users, arguably myself, but you can pick up a basic brother color laser for <$200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

eighty-four merc posted:

My girlfriend and I are looking for a printer/all-in-one for our home office which I'll also be using for my new business

Definitely need duplex print, duplex scan would be nice, and I'm leaning toward laser since most of the use will be for documents

She would need it for printing documents and things like that

I would need it mostly for printing documents, technical documentation as well. However, I'd also like to use it to print marketing flyers / one-pagers (with color). It would also be convenient for me if I could print on A6 sized paper occasionally. Never tried to run anything but letter/a4 through a printer so that's something I know nothing about (I know nothing about printers)

We both would also like to use it to scan documents etc

Right now, I'm looking at something like the Brother MFC-L3750CDW, although I'm not married to that at all (again, I know nothing about printers)

How's the color printing on Laser/LED printers? Would it do "nice" marketing flyers on glossy paper?

I think I want to get a color all in one for documents and technical documentation in general, even if it doesn't end up being capable of doing the flyers. Any insight there would be cool

For the marketing flyers, if it makes more sense, I could get a second printer or just put in orders at the FedEx store or whatever and pick them up. I haven't gotten any quotes on that yet. But if the up-front cost and supplies aren't too prohibitive to justify it, I'd rather just have one unit instead of running multiple / having to do milk runs to a vendor for poo poo

Any help is super appreciated, thanks

I have the Brother MFC-L3750CDW and am extremely happy with it. My only regret is not getting ADF duplex scanning, but the model with it was being replaced and was not available at anything resembling a reasonable price and turns out wouldn't be for months.

Go for it, it's very nice for the price.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Have a Mac and a L3750, no issues with drivers, even on Apple Silicon, great AirPrint support too.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Devian666 posted:

The cost of the printer isn't too much of an issue but the cost of toner is quite brutal on a colour printer. I just use a colour A4 laser in my office and that is sufficient but I wouldn't be using colour if it wasn't a business expense.

Really? I find it pretty reasonable. I mean, photos are going to look like poo poo, I haven't really found regular color usage to be a significant cost, especially using knock-off Brother cartridges that work perfectly fine besides the toner level saying I am using a non-genuine supply.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I mean, if you have a frequent need to print photos at home RIGHT THIS MINUTE, get a dye-sublimation photo printer. I had a Sony one (Pretty sure I still do, somewhere), but the Walgreens a few blocks from my house will print out 4x6s for like pocket change, way less than 4x6 and while they quote like 1-2 hours to pick up, what that really means is they are ready to pick up, quality checked, enveloped with a checkout barcode on them, they will print them on demand almost instantly if you ask.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

They just replaced our work machines under our contract, as they were decommissioning them they had some sort of close out service menu print out attached on them, our main printer I believe had something like a million pages. I actually want to say it was closer to 1.2M. I mean, I know we print A LOT but I was absolutely shocked that was the duty life a largely problem free machine got chunked at.

Are these fuckers just decommissioned, trashed and written off or is some small business thinking they are getting an incredible deal on a very, very fancy copy machine that has been completely run into the ground? Or do these things have a useful life after an operation that is just printing shitloads a month with high reliability needs gets a factory fresh machine.

edit: Just looked up our new copy machines, 50,000 page monthly volume and we have multiple identical ones. 1.2M pages checks out.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 14, 2021

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Peachfart posted:

BTW for any future posters: there is precisely one situation(for a home user) where buying inkjet is a good idea. If you print almost exclusively color photos, and you use the machine constantly. Even in this situation you will spend a trillion dollars on ink, but it makes sense.
Otherwise, buy a b/w laser for home use, or go through a dealer(and see what they recommend) for business use.

If you are constantly printing photos, probably buy a dye sublimation printer, consumer inkjets aren't even great for that in many cases.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

If you are looking to bulk print labels, just do a mail merge into Word and use sheet labels. However for smaller label prints/one offs, a dedicated thermal label printer is worth every penny. The labels are cheap, thermal, require no ink, and you can get them in colors or clear. I don't mean like the weird label makers that print off little strips for expensive cartriges, like a Dymo LabelWriter.

Don't pay full price, they go on major sales all the time or you can pick one up used pretty easily in good condition, they are just thermal label printers, they last forever. I actually bought mine used from eBay for $40, still had the asset tag on it from a local government office (It was a huge lot of them, probably regular retirement of equipment.)

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

nielsm posted:

If you're sending business letters, you could also consider using windowed envelopes, so you just need to print the recipient address in the appropriate space on your actual letter. The envelope will only need postage then, no printing and no labels on it.

Absolutely do not send windowed envelope letters for business purposes beyond checks and invoices, it will be perceived as unprofessional. I'm sure people will disagree, but it's just one of those things that people will have that feeling about it and for the minor amount of work it takes to properly address an envelope it is not worth risking it.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 23, 2022

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeah there literally was a Best Buy next door. They had one on display but none available. Online, it is just grayed out; no option to wait. Now, I did not go over to customer service and try to finagle or anything. I was gunning for Office Depot because my rewards card would net me 10% there this month.

Edit: I don't know if I'd have any more luck trying various off numbers from that L3770 code. There's a 3710, a 3750 and stuff like that. My take from the effort post before are those would be older versions and probably be even more out of stock.

I have the 3750, is basically identical to the 3770 except it lacks duplex scanning. I actually thought about upgrading to the 3770 but realized I was just incredibly lucky to have a 3750 on order, at a significant discount nonetheless because they apparently were ordered in droves by new WFH people at the start of the pandemic with heavy printing/scanning needs (me).

As far as I can tell supplies have never recovered.

If you can find one though, I could not make a higher recommendation, it is a solid small office level multifunction for the home, like, complete office level, with things like direct to email scanning, PDF creation and USB drive support without any computer attached.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

I want to buy a new multifunction printer/scanner for home office use and have a 1k CHF voucher for a specific shop. I'm personally ambivalent to whether it prints in colour, but my partner would like the option, and she'll be moving back to freelancing shortly so that's in the spec.

We're replacing a 10 year old Samsung multifunction laser that is mechanically fine but no longer possible to get drivers for, and also impossible to get to connect to a network.

It's not going to get used very much but I'd very much like it to Just Work when it's needed. Especially given the vouchers I don't really care how much it costs but it's going to live under my partner's desk so it can't be huge (like the Brother 8000 series look).

I think I've narrowed the choice down to a HP MFP M479DW or a Brother MFC-L3750CDW.

https://www.mediamarkt.ch/de/product/_hp-mfp-m479dw-1954135.html

https://www.mediamarkt.ch/de/product/_brother-mfc-l3750cdw-1862236.html

Absent anything else I think I prefer the HP but I see the thread is pretty pro-Brother. Is one preferable over the other or anything else I need to consider? Any other options I need to look at for a solid home office printer?

Main use case will be scanning and printing any work docs or personal admin docs, mainly from PCs but I guess potentially from my macbook, ipad or iphone.

Facebook Aunt posted:

drat, the Church of Brother Monochrome Printers is bigger than I thought.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2023/07/13/best-printer-2023-review-canon-hp-brother/

Peep the comments. 320 comments nearly all agreeing that Brother is the best.

I have the 3750CDW and could not be more happy with it, it's like my third Brother printer, never turning back. If I did it all over again I would go with the 3770 for duplex scanning.

One thing that I love about it is iOS support is great, I wouldn't call my husband tech illiterate or tech adverse, he can figure it out if he has to, he just doesn't want to. Between the Brother App and our Synology NAS he has been using just his iPad in the house for like a few years now and not heard one complaint about something not working or he can't figure out how to scan something, etc, it's just solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

If we are doing label printer chat, I bought a used Dymo Labelwriter for my home like $50 after using one at the office, it is so handy, use it all the time.

https://www.amazon.com/Phomemo-Blue...286&sr=8-3&th=1

Also have one of these, labels and printer were dirt cheap, perfect for labeling food and cables, it even has special labels for cables.