Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:
I recently picked up an Hll-3290cdw which works great. Wireless and decent color. Didn't even install any brother bloat ware. Windows 10 recognized it and installed perfectly. A little klunky with the lcd display for connecting to my home network but nothing terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
I have a Brother HL-L3290CDW that I really like

BUT

after I put in 4 new Brother toner carts, I get print outs like the attached. I looks like Toner is getting on some rollers. I have taken all the toner carts out, used that little wire cleaning slider gizmo on each of them, taken a cotton ball with isopropyl to them as well.

I am a bit of an idiot with printer maintenance, but I'm not sure what else I should be doing. Any ideas on where I should be specifically looking/cleaning and how?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
Yes, it's the same if there is no text/image. Any idea how I would go about cleaning that?

e:
Nevermind! I think I found it and I see stuff on it. Thanks !

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 31, 2021

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
Well, I think I see how the toner got on that belt. Here is where I laid them down when I pulled it out.

Prints MUCH better, but still not great. There is still that background "haze" on it. Not white. Although to be fair I can't be sure it's not from re-inserting the toner cartridge.

Genuine brother toner cartridge

There was a smaller roller underneath it, seemed kind of soft/foamy and it also had toner on it. I guess I should clean that now too?

It has # WT223CL

e: gently caress, that black one poo poo all over the belt again ffs

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
Yeah, I'm calling brother tomorrow. It's brand new. I don't have the receipt any more (bought months ago, but just installed). Hoping they can help. :(

Appreciate it guys

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
Brother surprisingly said they'll send me a new toner cartridge so hopefully that'll cure my issues.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
Received the new toner yesterday from Brother. Gave the machine a good last clean out, installed the new toner on the black drum and works like a charm. Was a pity just throwing the full one into the trash but :shrug:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Peachfart posted:

You have learned a valuable lesson: generic toner is garbage.
I think that it might be more accurate to say that OEM is less likely to be garbage.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
I've got a brother color "LED" type thing, HLL3290 CDW and other than that one issue I had with the OEM toner making GBS threads all over the place, it's been a good printer. No complaints. I'm not going print glossy photos with it anytime soon, but color text/documents look great.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
Windows Update has shown an optional update for my brother color laser for a while. I can't find much info on it from searching.

Any benefit to it? One PC always seems to have trouble printing to it on wireless on my network, but I always chalked it up to the PC, not the printer.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
Has anyone run into anything weird with windows 10 and networking? I have a Brother HLL-3290CDW which my wifes PC seems to have trouble seeing with regularity. They are both connected to my home network via WAP 2.4ghz.

For some reason, her PC, even though it's on the same WAP 50/50 chance if it can print. Generally an error like it cannot see the printer or unresponsive or something. My PC which is connected to the network via a totally different method sees it without fail, as does my work PC downstairs.

I typically have to uninstall it on her PC, and the re-install it, which typically seems to work but it's quite annoying.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 9, 2022