Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Oysters Autobio posted:

Looking at Brother B&W laser printers also but wanted to know if their compact line of printers are decent enough for sporadic occasional home printing?

I don't want anything taking up too much space for what's basically gonna be used for printing return shipping labels on the occasional online order, or printing some notes or scanning a couple random docs for stupid orgs stuck in 2002. Really looking for barebones home use here.

I'm seeing a "Renewed RHLL2395DW" that's being offered super cheap ($180CDN). I'm assuming that's a refurb.

For personal home use I got Brother HL-2140 like 10 years ago for like $70. (Just printer, no scanner) Smallest one they made. It took 4 years for me to get through the trial cartridge. I bought an OEM one to replace it because you will likely regret saving $20, and it's at 50% life still 6 years in. Drum is showing 90% life still. Printed 1552 pages on it, so pretty drat light use. I will advocate getting a small b&w Brother laser printer, multifunction if you need it, for home use every time. Absolutely worth the cost over a literally disposable inkjet. I even got another color LED printer of theirs for the even rarer time I want some color. They fire up no issue, and their drivers are compact and don't pester me to buy supplies.

If someone wants to print occasional photos, use a printing service, they'll look better and be worth the savings in $50 cartridges and just pure frustration. Walmart charges almost the same amount to print glossy 4x6 as Lexmark says the average color page costs to print, not even counting the cost of photo paper, and you'll never have to deal with cleaning printheads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU