Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Match/Fight of the Month!
This poll is closed.
Dragon Lee vs El Desperado 2 2.38%
Hiromu Takahashi vs Taiji Ishimori 11 13.10%
Sanada & EVIL vs The Young Bucks 1 1.19%
Will Ospreay vs Hiromu Takahashi 3 3.57%
Tetsuya Naito vs Chris Jericho 2 2.38%
Kazuchika Okada vs Kenny Omega 33 39.29%
Robert Whittaker vs Yoel Romero 1 1.19%
Io Shirai vs Hiroyo Matsumoto vs Meiko Satomura 5 5.95%
Johnny Gargano vs Tommaso Ciampa 7 8.33%
Hiromu Takahashi vs El Desperado 1 1.19%
Masashi Takeda vs Isami Kodaka 2 2.38%
L.A. Park vs Rush 8 9.52%
Darby vs WALTER 2 2.38%
King Phoenix vs Barbaro Cavernario 5 5.95%
None of the Above 1 1.19%
Total: 44 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

From the pro wrestling side of things, it's been a pretty good manner. WWE+ (Raw, Smackdown, NXT, and now the UK stuff) was all pretty good, although they landed mostly in the HM category. CMLL (which uploads all their shows free to YouTube) has been hot with the Rush & L.A. Park feud bringing 10k+ to Arena Mexico several weeks in a row. Pentagon and Fenix becoming free agents between CMLL and AAA has added a lot of life to both promotions. Kenta Kobashi continues to produce great joshi matches, and Big Japan makes their first appearance on this poll with a spectacular death match. I hear New Japan did some stuff too.

From the actual fighting side of things, UFC 225 was by all accounts mostly a trainwreck, but it did produce the excellent Whittaker vs Romero match (which has made this poll), Blaydes vs Overeem, and the baffling comedy that was Chick Magnet Punk vs Mike Jackson.

For wrestling I had to prune the month down to just MOTYCs since including HMs would put us over the poll option limit. If I missed something (I'm in San Francisco currently for the G1 USA and don't have my notes/links/images all with me) let me know.

Dragon Lee vs. El Desperado
NJPW Best of Super Juniors Finals - June 3rd

Hiromu Takahashi vs. Taiji Ishimori
NJPW Best of Super Juniors Final - June 4th

Sanada and EVILc vs. The Young Bucks for the IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Championships
NJPW Dominion - June 9th

Will Ospreayc vs. Hiromu Takahashi for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship
NJPW Dominion - June 9th

Tetsuya Naitoc vs. Chris Jericho for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship
NJPW Dominion - June 9th

Kazuchika Okadac vs. Kenny Omega in a 2-out-of-3 Falls/No Time Limit match for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship
NJPW Dominion - June 9th

Robert Whittaker vs. Yoel Romero
UFC 225 - June 9th

Io Shirai vs. Hiroyo Matsumoto vs. Meiko Satomura
Kenta Kobashi Produce: Fortune Dream 5 - June 11th

Johnny Gargano vs Tommaso Ciampa in a Streetfight
NXT TakeOver: Chicago - June 16th (video package at 1:49:00, entrances at 1:53:30)

Hiromu Takahashic vs. El Desperado for the IWGP Jr Heavyweight Championship
NJPW Kizuna Road - June 18th (parade of champions and video package at 1:50:45, entrances at 1:54:00)

Masashi Takedac vs Isami Kodaka for the BJW Death Match Title
Big Japan at Korakuen Hall - June 20th

LA Park vs Rush
CMLL Arena Mexico - June 22nd (should autolink to 1:56:55)

Darby vs WALTER
EVOLVE 106 - June 24th

King Phoenix vs. Barbaro Cavernario
CMLL Arena Mexico - June 29th (should autolink to 1:30:35)

None of the above/Other
This month?! Seriously? Well, ok, but go ahead and post whatever match you think is better in this thread so we can check it out.

All Results (click emblem for tallies, links go to the match)
Andrade "Cien" Almasc vs Johnny Gargano for the NXT Men's Championship (NXT TakeOver: Philadelphia - January 27th)
Kazuchika Okadac vs Seiya Sanada for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship (NJPW The New Beginning - February 10th)
The Golden☆Lovers vs The Young Bucks (New Japan: Strong Style Evolved - March 25th)
Johnny Gargano vs Tomasso Ciampa (NXT: TakeOver: New Orleans - April 7th)
Kazuchika Okadac vs Hiroshi Tanahashi for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship - (NJPW Wrestling Dontaku - May 4th)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I agree that there is no poll necessary this month. :v:

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

If you've never made a poll on these forums, it is a really stupid process that requires you to post a thread, and then it'll add the stuff to make the poll, but only if you select the poll option before posting the thread, and then it'll add the poll.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

TTBF posted:

If you've never made a poll on these forums, it is a really stupid process that requires you to post a thread, and then it'll add the stuff to make the poll, but only if you select the poll option before posting the thread, and then it'll add the poll.
Ah, good ol' Radium...

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I believe Ishimori vs Hiromu will hold up and be easier to watch in years to come and easier to show to people than Okada vs Omega, which is why its a better match imo.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Omega Okada should win and that's cool, I recognise it was great and really enjoyed it. But the LA Park Rush brawl was wild and had a screwy finish and was obviously just a prelim to the blow off later in the year but I just loved it. One of the most entertaining matches I've seen this year.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

There were a ton of great matches this month, but for me nothing comes close to Okada/Omega IV. Holy poo poo what a match.

frankenfreak posted:

Ah, good ol' Radium...

There was a period as well where only mods could make polls, so I used to have to write up the Champ of the Month poll and then PM it to him so he could make the thread. It was... not a good system.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 7, 2018

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

The poll still has another two days of life in it. If you haven't voted, now's the time.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Whoops! I thought I had already posted the conclusion but it turns out I had not. This month's winner is:

Kazuchika Okadac vs. Kenny Omega in a 2-out-of-3 Falls/No Time Limit match for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship

June's voting felt like a foregone conclusion not far into the month. Seth Rollins tried his best, Hiromu Takahashi tried his best, CMLL tried their best, but in the end Okada and Omega are just too damned good.

All Results (click emblem for tallies, links go to the match)
Andrade "Cien" Almasc vs Johnny Gargano for the NXT Men's Championship (NXT TakeOver: Philadelphia - January 27th)
Kazuchika Okadac vs Seiya Sanada for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship (NJPW The New Beginning - February 10th)
The Golden☆Lovers vs The Young Bucks (New Japan: Strong Style Evolved - March 25th)
Johnny Gargano vs Tomasso Ciampa (NXT: TakeOver: New Orleans - April 7th)
Kazuchika Okadac vs Hiroshi Tanahashi for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship - (NJPW Wrestling Dontaku - May 4th)
Kazuchika Okadac vs. Kenny Omega in a 2-out-of-3 Falls/No Time Limit match for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship- (NJPW Dominion - June 9th)

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I'm gonna give July a few more days to have things trickle in due to the G1 backlog being real for a lot of people, including me. I'll start hunting for links/timestamps soon.

Kazuchika Okada vs Zack Sabre Jr
July 1st - Rev Pro/NJPW Strong Style Evolved UK Night 2 (2:06:05)

Tomohiro Ishii c vs Minoru Suzuki for the Undisputed British Heavyweight Championship
July 1st - Rev Pro/NJPW Strong Style Evolved UK Night 2 (2:31:30)

Masashi Takeda vs Konosuke Takeshita vs Kazusada Higuchi vs MAO
July 3rd - DDT MajiManji #10

Hiromu Takahashic vs Dragon Lee for the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship
July 7th - NJPW G1 Special in San Francisco

Jay Whitec vs Juice Robinson for the IWGP United States Championship
July 7th - NJPW G1 Special in San Francisco

The Aggression (Katsuhiko Nakajima & Masa Kitamiya) vs. Hideyoshi Kamitani & Takuya Nomura
July 10th - Riki Choshu Produce - Power Hall Vol. 2: Battle of Another Dimension

Pentagon Jr. vs. Sami Callihan in a Mask vs. Hair Match
July 22nd - Impact Slammiversary

Joey Janela vs. David Starr in a No Rope Barbed Wire Match
July 29th - Beyond Americanrana

G1 Matches
Tomohiro Ishii vs. Toru Yano (Night 2)
Kota Ibushi vs. Zack Sabre Jr. (Night 2)
Kenny Omega vs. Tetsuya Naito (Night 2)
Toru Yano vs Zack Sabre Jr. (Night 4) (1:43:00)
Tetsuya Naito vs Tomohiro Ishii (Night 4) (2:18:10)
Zack Sabre Jr vs. SANADA (Night 6) (1:23:30)
Hirooki Goto vs. Tomohiro Ishii (Night 6) (2:22:30)
Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Tomohiro Ishii (Night 8) (1:36:35)
Kota Ibushi vs. SANADA (Night 8) (2:21:30)
Kota Ibushi vs. Tomohiro Ishii (Night 10) (1:51:00)

TTBF fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Haha I've been looking forward to this month's thread knowing that the G1 was gonna be happening during it :allears:

• Locked thread