Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Spiritus Nox posted:

I thought making the cancerous cells sympathetic made a reasonable amount of sense. Like, the cells that make up, say, a bone tumor or whatever are perfectly good bone cells, right? The only thing they're doing differently from a healthy cell is dividing out of control, right?

Depends. Generally, the more mutations they accrue and the more they spread outside their original tissue, the less they resemble the cell line they originally came from. Cancers that come from tissues that can secrete hormones will also sometimes just secrete hormones all the time in an uncontrolled fashion, which can cause various metabolic problems; if you ever saw an episode of House and remember them bringing up "paraneoplastic syndrome" as one of the stock red-herring diagnoses, that's what that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Mraagvpeine posted:

It'll turn out that the man was an organ donor (unless that's not a thing in Japan) and the cells are taken along and put into a new body, one that's also dying.

Organ donation rates in Japan are relatively low due to cultural values around bodily integrity and strict laws requiring the consent of both the donor and their family, but it does happen.