Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

quote:

This is a story about you. A tale about the inside of your body. According to a new study, the human body consists of approximately 37 trillion cells. These cells are hard at work every day within a world that is your body. From the oxygen carrying Red Blood Cells to the bacteria fighting White Blood Cells, get to know the unsung heroes and the drama that unfolds inside you!

Hataraku Saibou/Cells at Work! is basically Osmosis Jones by way of Japan. It's a story about the daily goings on of the human body with a particular focus on the always working immune system. The series is produced by David Production, who's mostly known for relatively unknown series called Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

PV1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek39M_lYUtE
PV2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMXWvvjAJek

Erythrocyte/Red blood cell - Red blood cells carry oxygen and carbon dioxide throughout the body and keep them oxygenated. Our protagonist is a newbie RBC who frequently gets lost, but strives to do their best.
CV: Hanazawa Kana (You should know who this is)

Leukocyte/White blood cell (Neutrophil) - White blood cells are one of the major components of the immune system. The white ones shown are specifically Neutrophil, the most common type of WBC. Our protagonist is the strong silent type.
CV: Maeno Tomoaki

Killer T Cell/Cytotoxic T cell - Killer T cells are a type of lymphocyte that's specialized in killing infected, damaged or cancerous cells.
CV: Daisuke Ono (Notably, he's also the VA for Jotaro)

Macrophage - Macrophages are a special type of WBC that kills foreign bodies, cleans up dead cells and finds antigens for use by other T cells. They are very powerful.
CV: Kikuko Inoue

Platelet - Platelets are one of the smallest cells in the human body. Their job is to gather together and block wounds to stop bleeding. They are extremely cute and can stop your heart if you're not careful.
CV: Maria Naganawa (Notable roles: Kanna Kamui from Maidragon, Tamaki Hondafrom Magic of Stella)

Helper T cell/T helper cell - Helper T cells manage the immune response in the body by signalling other T cells to the presence of foreign cells and activating other cells in the immune system.
CV: Takahiro Sakurai (Notably, also the VA for Kishibe Rohan from Jojo)

Regulatory T cell - Regulatory T cells assist in the regulation of the immune system including autoimmune disease prevention and managing antigen tolerance. In this series, it's mostly assisting Helper T cell.
CV: Saori Hayami

Also appearing:
Eosinophil, Dendritic cell, Memory cell, Mast cell, B cell

The manga is currently published in English by Kodansha comics and is currently being streamed by Crunchyroll.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jul 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Cells at Work is basically better in every aspect.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

Not gonna lie - I wasn't really sold on the whole thing throughout, but Sneeze 1 was an absolute god-tier level joke, holy poo poo

I'm digging all the edutainment in there as well. I'm gonna see if I can get any of my microbiologist buddies to check this out, that should be entertaining (the amount of microbiologists who are way too much into anime is truly staggering).

Moyashimon is also really good and I wish I could've gotten some merch when I had the chance. An A. Oryzae plush would've been good.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sindai posted:

Now I wish they were animating this

How many chapters/volumes are there? Maybe as an OVA.

As a reference, Hataraku Saibou has 5 volumes out iirc and vol. 6 should be soon. It's a monthly series and each volume has 5-6 chapters. There's already just enough material to make it two seasons if they wanted.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

Platelets are extremely adorable, perhaps too adorable

Next episode is gonna feature the Platelets doing one of their most important jobs.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

iospace posted:

What day does this air again?

Also, massive, massive props to saying that pneumococcus can cause meningitis.

(Also don't look up meningitis while you're at it. It's loving scary)

Saturday @ Midnight Japan time iirc.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Technically, all of those cells on the scab would consigned to death.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

they could safely do the south park kenny thing where the characters die at the end of a chapter/ep and reappear next ep with full knowledge of previous events and relationships

Who's to say that isn't the norm?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Zomborgon posted:

There are those zombie cells in the OP

Nah, that's Influenza aka, the Flu virus.

It's a shame we probably wont get to see the hive of scum and villainy that is the intestines. All manner of bacteria there.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Well it’s no drama if the person is young and healthy, hence you make the person a slovenly disgusting piece of poo poo

The body withstands countless bacterial attacks every day. Almost all of them are pretty much negligible though as the immune system is functioning as it's supposed to. When actual physical symptoms appear, that's an indicator that the cellular immune system is reaching the max of its capabilities and needs to employ other, larger scale methods, to handle things. This can be at the cost of other parts of the body like fevers or allergic reactions.

Think about this: How many germs and bacteria do you think you inhale on a given day? How many germs do you think enter your body through your mouth from food or other things put in there? 99% of the time, there's pretty much no indicator that your body has been repelling all sorts of invasions around the clock.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Fun fact about Eosinophil: It's presence usually increases, not just in the presence of parasites, but also in individuals with asthma playing one of the cell types in autoimmune function.

As far as Basophil is concerned, it's actually another histamine cell like the Mast cell (and both, along with Eosinophil are present in allergic reactions), but it runs around the bloodstream instead of with the tissues. Hopefully we see more of them in the Allergy episode

Next ep is supposed to be chapter 2 where it introduces B Cell and Memory T cell as well as the first example of how the series treats synthetic medicines.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Basophil is sorta implied to do stuff with allergies since it can also produce histamine. Eosinophil otoh, makes a bunch of enzymes for loving up parasites including enzymes that help make hydrogen peroxide and hydrogen bromide (at least according to Wiki). Eosinophil also shows up for allergic reactions, so hopefully they're get an anime original appearance in the next episode while the Mast cell makes things worse.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Zero_Tactility posted:

The sheer volume of cryptic bullshit really elevated it for me.

I want another Basophil to show up that actually talks normal (but has some other Chuuni work)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Boksi posted:

Looks like I picked a great time to start watching this series, now I gotta wait a whole week for a resolution to this cliffhanger :v:

I imagine this was a two-parter partly to catch the viewer off-guard(last ep's preview had nothing but the erythroblast school) and partly so they can dedicate the entirety of the next episode to the fight with the cancer.

The Cancer portion also probably seems a little too long for a single episode, especially with all of the action sequences, but probably not long enough to fill two episodes without stretching a few things. The ideal compromise is to have a half episode of something lighter and then the first third of the Cancer cell portion.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Amuys posted:

They can't do their job well at all. Leukemia is one of the best examples.

They're doing their job fine. They're just doing it to the wrong cells.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Syritta posted:

not if they're metastasizing

Would a benign tumor be like, another Akira guy, but just chill?

it'd be like a minority enclave where the local cells look different but are otherwise harmless and as long as they stay within their zone, they're accepted.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Black actually seems like the best environment to tackle more dire things like Organ Failure, surgery, and Organ Transplant (with the subsequent immuno-suppressants).

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

junopsis posted:

yep nope anywhere I can go with an organ transplant gijinka just sounds like someone's totalitarian propaganda, that's .... yikes

The body is extremely xenophobic to most living things that aren't from said body. The only exceptions are within the digestive organs and even then they have their own smorgasbord of defenses and defensive reactions as well as strange residents.

IMO, they missed an opportunity portraying the stomach and intestines as something other than just a food processing plant.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I imagine we'll get to Heatstroke as the final episode of the season.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I think there's just enough material for a second cours. I hope it gets it when David isn't busy with Jojo.

Edit: Re: Vol. 5 The Lactic Acid Bacteria look cute, but Maid NK Cell and Activated Dendritic cell would be the real must animate moments.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 2, 2018

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

golden bubble posted:

It's either an teenager or a human version of RBC. The main series body doesn't have any bad habits like the BLACK body. But they are either really clumsy or really reckless.

The hemorrhagic shock is a big deal, but the heatstroke one isn't too abnormal with how often it seems people pass out from the heat in anime. Reckless is pretty apt for a teenager though. It's possible, but unlikely that it's a child, but a preteen may be possible

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TerminusEst13 posted:

They've said the body's immune system is compromised, too, so that could also point at a variety of factors.
The two most obvious being AIDS, which would be pretty dark for an edutainment show, and old age.

I think when they say it was compromised, it was not what one would call medically compromised. I think in the context, it was meant like how security is compromised in a breach, i.e. something got through the outer defenses. The latter happens a lot in the human body, but usually nothing comes of it since it's handled so quickly.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Pharohman777 posted:

My favorite detail is how needles are depicted as these huge things emerging from the heavens with super detailed cloud cover all around and golden rays of light illuminating the scene.

One weird inconsistency is that open wounds are depicted as holes in the ground while things like needles are shown as coming from on high.

Imo, with the brain, We've not seen any sort of neurons yet so it may well be that the brain is just one large machine in a clean room with astrocytes getting stuff delivered to them and making sure everything's running properly.

Alternatively, the neurons in the brain work in a sealed complex on computers processing sorry data and feeding it to the body with no contact with other cells besides the glial cells that basically take care of them. Think office drones almost permanent planted in chairs with servants waiting on them hand and foot.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kyte posted:

Nerves are depicted as communication wiring running along the underside of the blood vessel roads, so it's probably not quite as 1:1 as the circulatory system is.

That'd be the "Brain is represented as a giant computer in a clean room" thing. Blood-brain barrier means that practically nothing can get in other than what the blood cells are delivering, and even then, it's probably just bank-teller style windows or some sort of dumbwaiter system where there's minimal interaction between cells on either side of the barrier, if at all.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Araki posted:

Between this, the terrible text placement for the educational blurbs, and the odd localization choices (let's leave kouhai untranslated, but find some really awkward English alternative for "-chan"), this show had one of the worst simulsubs this season.

Still a very pleasant and extremely watchable show though, I will absolutely watch a second season if they make one.

There's enough material in the manga right now to make half a season I believe. It's also a lot more continuous rather than stand-alone episodes.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Imagine immunosupressants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Veterinary medicine is very important also can be quite interesting because of how their physiology diverges from human ones.