Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
They did say in ep 1 that WBCs were short-staffed.

Those platelets are going to kill me holy poo poo they're so cute.

I doubt they'll stop explaining the concepts and characters because they're a big part of the show/manga's objective. You wouldn't have such a high profile VA like Mamiko Noto narrating them unless you thought they were important. Plus, they help pad out the episode.

E: Apparently that manga cover with a female WBC and a male WBC involves a human body that's deeply unhealthy, hence why it's "Cells at Work Black". Wish it were scanned, I'm curious on how it goes.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jul 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I think those are cancer cells.

Sharkopath posted:

The monster of the day format means this body is super unhealthy too, considering how many times it almost dies.

Nah, invasion by bacteria is a super routine thing. The rare few times (proportionally) where they get the upper hand are when you actually feel the effects of it.

btw:

Megakaryocyte-sensei.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Reallycoolname posted:

So I went and read up the first chapter of Black (free here, japanese only) and boy, if the regular version starts getting dark I don't even know what kind of hell this ends up descending into. Seems like this one takes place in the body of a smoking, drinking middle-aged salaryman.

Jesus christ that first chapter :stare:

The WBC's open shirt kinda detracts from it though. On the other hand, distracting you from the sheer bleakness of existence in that body might be a good idea.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 19, 2018

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I figured it'd be a young child's body.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
BLACK recently released chapter 9. Needless to say, it's as bleak as you can expect from its base premise.

As an aside, having RBCs drink to get undrunk is genius.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Child soldiers I think?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

tsob posted:

Please tell me Macrophage is holding a frying pan covered in blood and it's not just a badly drawn machete. I don't remember that particular moment from the episode, but I so want it to be a frying pan and it fits Macrophage's irreverence.

They'd been cooking germs when RBC called them over, so yeah it's probably a frying pan.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
If you look at it on the macro level, it's not even that crazy, it's just your average overworked japanese salaryman who fell off the wagon wrt not smoking.

And that's what's most depressing.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
That one'd be a bit too gory for anime/manga.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Mraagvpeine posted:

What about blood transfusions?

There's a chapter about that, although it glossed over rejection.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Nerves are depicted as communication wiring running along the underside of the blood vessel roads, so it's probably not quite as 1:1 as the circulatory system is.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Imagine radiotherapy.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Comfy cells.

E: oh wow I had no idea Cells at Work & Girls Last Tour had the same composer. That guy does good work.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Couldn't find raws but if you guys want to know what is next (and don't mind being in indonesian) you can see chapters 10 to 12 here

Rip tiddy WBC but welcome cute WBC. Also is it me or it's a drug addict this time?.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
You say that after all these chapters with titty WBCs?

The previous body seemed to be of a salaryman, this one seems to be of a gamer or such. Dat caffeine addiction, man
(Or just a different salaryman, I guess)

E: Actually, what pantyshot?