Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

secondhand dog
Sep 10, 2009

I'm finally giving this game a shot and am hooked (to the extent I have time for it). I started off with wanderer (?) start while a part of me wanted to do the Rebirth start. After about an hour I ended up restarting with the slave start.

It took me a bit to realize that my folks wouldn't starve at all while being slaves, which made me realize that it's like a work-study trip with a free extra character! I spent a few weeks of in-game time working, picking fights and losing them badly, and building up strength while sneaking around at night (and losing more fights when being caught). Eventually one of my folks was able to start making rounds at night knocking out guards, locking them up, and freeing other prisoners.

I found it a little odd that the holy nation folks would happily strip and shackle their former fellow guards just because they ended up in a cage, but hey, it got to the point where there were no free guards left outside of those who slept in the guard towers at the exits. No guards would be available to let slaves out to do work, so the area around any of the storm houses and the central statue basically just consisted of wandering freed slaves (some of them following me), stubborn slaves who didn't want to leave their unlocked cages, and imprisoned guards. At this point, I figured it's time to leave, so my main two folks (and a third who joined my party before we'd escaped) ran out the north gate after eating some food. Several freed slaves were right after us, and a few of them ended up keeping the attention of the guards. Once we were a safe distance down the road without any guards chasing us, four more former prisoners wanted to join up. I only took two, which is probably dumb because everyone was decently tough/strong at this point, but I didn't want to start out in the free world with a big crew.

The only map pin I had was the (safe)house, so we ran there, loaded up, slept a bit, and headed north. My group still had a few folks that looked like slaves, so I was a little hesitant about going into Flotsam Village before realizing what they're all about. I joined up, since we already had hefty bounties with the holy nation, and I'm down to fight them. I plopped a few refining structures right outside Flotsam Village to process materials without realizing that it would be enough of an outpost to attract a holy nation war party (whoopsy). The flotsam ninjas sent a squad to help defend, but my folks are far from well-armed or dangerous, and I won't have a wall set up before they arrive. I'm not letting my folks go back to Rebirth, so I think we'll just run back to nearby Flotsam Village, but I wish there was a way to tell the reinforcements to retreat as well, since I think they're going to get massacred.

I quit before the holy nation folks arrived, but future RIP new ninja friends defending a few refining objects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Finally giving this game a go - is there a good video guide with some stuff to do early game to get a feel for the mechanics?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

JosefStalinator posted:

Finally giving this game a go - is there a good video guide with some stuff to do early game to get a feel for the mechanics?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2951812219

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6HsDqyNkBo

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
There's a program that can help you learn the mechanics by just fiddling around with it for few hours.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

JosefStalinator posted:

Go fight the first thing you find.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
My first character got so good at sneaking and KOing enemies from behind, looting their bodies and then selling their unconscious body to whichever non-UC faction would pay for them. Funded a lot of my early base building and npc recruitment that way.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

BadLlama posted:

Go fight the first thing you find.
Where did this beak thing find a keyboard?

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Relax. Enjoy death.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

zedprime posted:

Where did this beak thing find a keyboard?

From the skeletons, of course! Which is why we must purge them in the name of blessed Okran! AND subjugate women while we're at it! In this 150,000 word essay, I will

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
So anyone got a good modlist for this?

I used to use the one from here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3882213&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1, but it's been years since I played and so most of my mods are way old/broken.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
You know how some games like Dwarf Fortress and Rimworld use the slogan "Losing is Fun"? Kenshi actually pulls that off, the way to win is to lose a lot

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Relax. Enjoy death.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, in what other game can you say the best way to train toughness is to tie yourself to a pole and let cannibals eat your limbs off?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The actual best way to do it is to head to a hungry bandit zone where they have like, 40 of the fuckers and spam get up. So long as you keep an eye on that coma threshold, you can do it with a solo character and level it up to 80 in like a minute.

Handy if you want to keep your fleshy limbs for RP purposes.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The flesh is weak, the iron is storng

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

https://twitter.com/dril/status/460673146451161088

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

I, too, love fighting the Gorillo Bandits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

BadLlama posted:

The flesh is weak, the iron is storng

My initiates had to build the components for their replacement limbs themselves so they would develop the skills to maintain them. Once the master limbsmith assembled these components into their final form the initiates would set out into the foglands for their promotion ritual.