Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
That's hilarious. I had no idea such lines were in the game :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
I really wanna know more about whatever my skeletons are talking about. They mention something that I think references the beams coming from space when they get near but it's pretty ambiguous

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

The Protagonist posted:

I really wanna know more about whatever my skeletons are talking about. They mention something that I think references the beams coming from space when they get near but it's pretty ambiguous

It seems like the laser beam satellites were probably some kind of solar energy thing gone awry.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
They're probably talking about the energy beams that come from what may be a faulty orbital solar energy collector in The Venge. The other one fell ages ago and is found nearby, it's called The Eye.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Bofast posted:

That's hilarious. I had no idea such lines were in the game :allears:

There is a lot of great lines in this game, reading through the mod tools is a treat. What I've discovered recently:

When UC guards frisk you, they have different dialogue based on the number of bags you have. You can't try the "Whats behind you" line to try and hide your contraband if you get this one.
If you're starving the gate guards will try to shoo you off as being destitute is illegal in UC cities. You can bribe them to let you in, where they tell you to go eat some food. You might get lucky and run into a guard who'll take pity on you
If you get caught with contraband there is a chance you can get the guard in on the crime, and I believe they'll even remember you later on. Some pretty good lines in here
If you're a lady you can blow a kiss to a HN gate guard and he'll freak the gently caress out

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Cardiovorax posted:

They're probably talking about the energy beams that come from what may be a faulty orbital solar energy collector in The Venge. The other one fell ages ago and is found nearby, it's called The Eye.

I tried to find this but couldn't identify it.

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

"Kill white people and get paid for it? What's not to like?"

The Protagonist posted:

I tried to find this but couldn't identify it.

Venge and The Eye on the Kenshi wiki.

McSlaughter fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 19, 2020

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Hah, glad I am not the only one to start under a deathray.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I made a venge base once, it seemed like it could work but it started to get pretty buggy. If you're in-doors, the deathray won't get you, so you've got to make your poo poo as compact as possible; my base ended up being like alleyways and tight streets. At one point though random buildings started to just stop protecting you from the beam and I couldn't figure out a reason why or how to replicate it.

It was amazing for base defense though. The game becomes less about beefing up your dudes and more about just stacking as much coverage as possible and holding the enemy still.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

So I've got a good base going. Whenever I load the game, though, the turret gunners load in under the walls (still manning the turrets, but susceptible to getting attacked). What's the deal here? Is there a fix or something or am I just going to have to live with this?

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Have you tried ctrl-shift-f11 to rebuild the navmesh? Importing your save might fix it also.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I've tried both of those. Still happens.
I guess it's just a bug with how characters are loaded in. When it's paused, I can see characters half way underground until I unpause. I guess if they're on a wall though, they'll snap down to the ground rather than onto the catwalk.

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

Turrets and walls specifically are especially buggy and contain their own random assortment of glitches or inexplicable graphical anomalies.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I logged about 70 hours on this game back in January 2019, and recently reinstalled it to try again. Have there been any significant improvements or changes or has the game remained similar since then?

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007
Speaking of turrets, is there any secret to the order of jobs if you want your character to man a turret if he doesn't have anything to do ?
Some of my characters seem to get "stuck" on the last job (man a turret) and some get out of the turret as soon as the first jobs are possible.
Normal kenshi jank ?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Kenshi in a nutshell: ________ and ________ specifically are especially buggy and contain their own random assortment of glitches or inexplicable graphical anomalies.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Kenshi: Especially buggy and contains its own random assortment of inexplicable glitches

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Clark Nova posted:

Kenshi in a nutshell: ________ and ________ specifically are especially buggy and contain their own random assortment of glitches or inexplicable graphical anomalies.

Don't worry, someone on reddit is working hard to make it glitchier and buggier with a script extender

https://www.reddit.com/r/kenshi/comments/hwdfnp

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

sharkbomb posted:

I logged about 70 hours on this game back in January 2019, and recently reinstalled it to try again. Have there been any significant improvements or changes or has the game remained similar since then?
No, it's fundamentally the same, just with some of the usual patches and fixes. Well, unless you played it before the fourth quarter of the map was finished, then you will have a lot of new stuff to find. Including Cat-Lon.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Shh, don't talk about him.

But If you played Kenshi mostly vanilla before, there's a fair few mods to add that change things up significantly enough to merit another playthrough. Kaizo is a thing some people like, or genesis. I don't think they're done though. Reactive world seems to be fairly vanilla while still changing up some of the triggers - I'd recommend this one. Living World is buggy and crashy, can't recommend. Get enhanced shopping economy if you want to run your own shop or something, and you can get the Hiver/Cannibal/Screaming Bandit Expanded mods but I found all but the hiver ones to be kind of broken, although the armor sets DO look cool. Also the hiver armor is loving great, you get to look like a conquistador. I'd say also get Dialogue Expansion or whatever. It has some oddball things that don't fit quite right but for the most part it's alright. Makes the world a bit more chatty.

PRD is doing a major overhaul based on Reactive World called Realpolitik but I have no idea how finished it is. When I tried it there were several empty and broken towns, including Squin. But it's promising at least. There's a couple equipment expansions that are ok, Trading Economy Improved or whatever adds a bunch of price mods to make trading a little more straight-forward and there's a mod that adds a couple unique items called Trade Items Economy that's built on top of that and a holy empire weapon mod that fits in really well, but I'm not sure how good since they've got only a literal handful of users. I like them though.

There's a mod that adds skeletons based on the limbs you can get in game and they're REALLY well done, but I only recommend installing the KLR and Industrial lifter variants unless you want to watch the scout rabbits or assassin bugs murder and entire city sometimes because holy poo poo a super fast skeleton with like 80 in martial arts is loving terrifying.

Other than all that, I'd say just add what you like for flavor. I tend to avoid adding a lot of items or npcs and cities because they often clash with Kenshi's theme more than I'd like, but there are a LOT of them if you're looking to spice things up.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
And the most important mod

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Azhais posted:

Don't worry, someone on reddit is working hard to make it glitchier and buggier with a script extender

https://www.reddit.com/r/kenshi/comments/hwdfnp

hell yeah

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
So I tried out a base in the corner of the Unwanted Zone because it was fairly central on the map and had an endless supply for beakthings for target practice. Turns out that the zone might be unwanted but my stuff sure as hell wasn't.

Yeah ok that's not great but maybe the beakthings will give me a hand?

Eh, B for effort. Oh, wait they all left at the same time...

Hahahaha :bisonyes:

And it was a glorious day.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Kenshi is maximum jank at all times.

I finally got around to establishing a decent outpost, and I gotta say, I don't like it. It really feels like this part of the game is not very fleshed out, or at least not nearly as much as it needs to be. The 3-4 recurring events are tedious distractions at best (especially the Black Dragon Ninja one which was just maddening for me because the faction wasn't hostile so they refused to aggro on me until I attacked them one by one while they ran in and stole all my food), and everything feels even more micromanage-y than before. When I was just running a swordsmith business out of the Hub, I could just leave everyone on autopilot save for the occasional starving bandit fight and shuttle one merchant character back and forth between the Hub and Squin to sell all my goods and buy stuff I needed (like strawflour for bread). So I set up and slowly built out an outpost on the hills east of the Hub.

The only reason I finally moved out was so that I could start growing hemp and making fabric so I could make higher-quality swords. I still have not done that because hemp takes a long-rear end time to grow and I've been using all the fabric for beds and whatnot, so I just set up the level 1 smiths to churn out swords for food money. It quickly became obvious that enough people to run a smithy in an established city is not enough people to run an entire town, so I recruited up a bunch of folks and have been trying to train them to some degree of competence. However, this is incredibly time-consuming and micromanaging-heavy because aside from having them train melee attack up to 15 on dummies, everything else has to be done manually.

I did set up a training arena and filled a bunch of cages with bandits and dust bosses (from the endless suicidal raids on my walls), but I have to manually open the gate and let all my guards-in-training in, close it behind them, let out each prisoner one at a time, watch them fight, bandage up themselves and the prisoners, put them away, and move down the line over and over, issuing all the commands manually, and also I have to remember to feed them all manually (to an extent, since I don't really care if they starve as long as they're conscious). And the pathfinding, oh my God the pathfinding! In the Hub I had no issue sending my merchant unsupervised to Squin and back, but here he gets hopelessly tangled up on the environment and it takes days for him to wander his way to Squin. I eventually gave up and just started using the Waystation nearby for the most part, but when I want to send him somewhere else that's one more thing I have to manually supervise since the dumb bastard can't figure out the hiking trails when he's offscreen.

I haven't seen a single piece of engineering research all game (and I'm 104 days in) despite finding 4 Ancient Science Books so I haven't been able to advance those tech trees at all. It feels like horrifically slow grinding for the most part, though I am proud of what I've made so far. It just seems nigh on impossible to turn an outpost into a well-oiled machine that I only need to check on occasionally, and the options for actually guarding said outpost are laughably sparse and basically amount to "train up soldiers like you would if you were wandering the map adventuring." And there's no alerts for hardly anything, of course, because this is Kenshi, so I frequently don't even notice that my gates are being broken down until the attackers are rushing in. I'd love to post guards at them, but I'm still trying to get them trained up!

Honestly, it feels at times like the game is punishing me for not sending all my guys to get their limbs gnawed off by fogmen and then stealing masterwork limb replacements from Mongrel to turn them into superhuman powerhouses. It's clear that murder-burglar-hoboing adventuring around the map with small-to-medium-sized squads is the intended way to play, and the outpost building and crafting systems are somewhat of an afterthought. But Kenshi has so much promise it's hard not to dream big, and it sucks to smash into the ceiling of what's possible in the game whenever you do.

Anyway thanks for reading my ventpost, or skipping to the last sentence, that's cool too

I managed to finally get a base going and even had a big squad of 40 bandits i had converted into cyber thralls I was using to plunder camps and settlements but after like day 264 it just became an enormous timesink as I realized I was spending more time supervising the disposal of the 40+ bandits who got stacked up outside my gate into peeler machines and bio-converter cages instead of actually using this huge group of badasses to raid things. I gave up after I got raided by black dragon ninjas and the stupid loving collision detection on the walls made a bunch of my soldiers get trapped inside one of the walls that I had to delete and then reorganize a whole wing of my base to reaccomodate. This game is much funner as a group of rowdy assholes kicking people's asses in than it is a city management simulator. It was still fascinating how the bio-converter mod basically enabled me to build a base with far fewer edible crops since I was just turning all the bandit raids into food for my workers.

Ultramega fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 22, 2020

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
going from badass raider warlord to warrior king who spends all his time micro managing corpse disposal sounds incredibly realistic

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Robo Reagan posted:

going from badass raider warlord to warrior king who spends all his time micro managing corpse disposal sounds incredibly realistic

Depressingly so, even

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Kenshi base management is ruined by the too-primitive worker behavior, I really dislike having to constantly rebuild everybody's assignment list tied to specific constructions. Really needs generic "you're a farmer, work on every farm plot" etc roles. Other games do that so much better.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Robo Reagan posted:

So, basically the plot of Kull of Atlantis.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
If kenshi 2 comes out in 10 years how old will you guys be?

I'll be 40 something.

The ice caps, most major glaciers, Greenland glaciers will have melted.

There will be four simultaneous hurricanes in Florida.

Cov-sars-3 2029.

Donald Trump jr will be president.

Bernie Sanders will still be alive

Kenshi 2 will be playable

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

*partially playable

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

*in early access

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.

Tabletops posted:

Kenshi 2 will be reality.

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

Kenshi 2 v1.0 comes out so they can drop the rental fee on the graphics license and pick a new engine to make Kenshi 3.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

McSlaughter posted:

Kenshi 2 v1.0 comes out so they can drop the rental fee on the graphics license and pick a new engine to make Kenshi 3.

They would be silly to not publish on egs first to not get charged

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

if I can't buy it on Desura like I bought the first one I'm not even interested

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Here is my Ultimate Write Up if you want to skip the part of the game where you're aimlessly mining rocks for cash and just sort of mindlessly trying to find something productive that's actually doable

Go to The Hub and recruit Hobbs. Hobbs starts with a decent athletics skill and a pair of shoes which makes him fast, fast enough that you can outrun a good deal of threats (just make sure to turn on passive mode so he doesn't try and fight enemies while he runs away). Leave your main character at The Hub, and end Hobbs south and slightly west to Squin, find Ruka and recruit her for free. Unequip/Sell her boots and her sword and possibly her shirt. Run both of them all the way north into the Floodlands and find Burn's Tower near the top. Recruit Burn and loot everything inside that's valuable. Very carefully head east from the tower to find the hidden ninja village (Flotsam Village) and sell all your good loot. Let that group rest for now.

Back in Hub, have your MC move east across the river and find the Waystation filled with Tech Hunters. With your cash, wait until evening and go to the bar to recruit two mercenary groups for two days. Take them north to the Dust King Tower, break in, and have them slaughter everyone inside. You have to do this at night, if you go during the day you'll lose, but at night it's an easy win. Loot the tower, claim your free unit at the top, bandage the Dust King up so he doesn't bleed to death, and then carry him to Squin to drop him in jail and claim your money. With your cash, jump back to the hidden ninja village with your Burns/Ruka/Hobbs and recruit everyone in town, because all the non-generic units here - Digna, Knife, Pia, Reva. All of them are great. Now, look at how many cats you have - if you have more than 6,000 and a little buffer for food money, have your team in Squin recruit Kang.

Now, have all your units brave the Foglands and converge on Mongrel. If any character has boots on that reduce speed, or is above the lowest weight limit, sell the gear - you need to be able to outrun the Fogmen. Once everyone is inside, grab your last batch of units - Beep, Shryke, and Crumblejon. Now come the fun/dangerous part. Go out in search of an unconscious fogman near the gates of town. Pick one up, and bring it to one of the Fogman death yards, preferably one that is directly outside of town. Put the fogman on a pike and wait for princes to come by and start eating it - as long as they don't aggro onto you from fighting, the enemies will not stop eating and praying. Send one (or if you're brave, a lot) of your units and start trying to use Knock Out on the Fogman Heavies that are hanging around. There is a very very low percentage change that they will aggro you if you do this, so run if it does happen, but otherwise keep doing it over and over until you skill is high enough that it works. Put the K.O.'d heavy on a pike. Keep refilling the pikes with unconscious fogmen. Once you've got a nice stack of pikes fulled up, take your entire team and have them start sneaking around. You'll gain sneaking levels insanely fast as you're constantly doing stealth checks against the entire crowd that has gathered. You can easily get to 80+ stealth in like five minutes. 90+ stealth makes you functionally invisible at night, so get a few units over that cap for future shenanigans. During this process, start doing knock outs on the Fogmen princes and stealing their heads. Don't worry about leaving one alive, others will take its place. Each head is worth a ton of cats, so just start a collection. You can endlessly repeat this until you're happy with the amount of skill levels and cash you've made.

So, now you have a well-funded team of units who can stealth their way around random encounters without getting ganked. If you want one final push towards power, buy three or so sets of Tools from the tool shop and head north towards Obedience. Find the ancient lab and break open the main door. Send just one person inside and keep everyone else near the foot of the tower. Make sure you lockpick the gate, don't break it down. Send your unit inside and lure all the spider guards outside to ground level. Drag them far enough for your team to get inside, the run back in and close the gate behind you. The spider AI will break and they'll wander off. Go inside and loot everything and break into the more difficult storage chests with your Tool sets. You should now have even MORE cash, plus some science books and MAYBE an AI core if you're lucky. At this point, you can buy a big house in Mongrel and set up a research station there and start unlocking tech trees without fear of getting raided. The town has tons of shops to get items you need for researching. At this point, if you really wanted to, research Walls 2 and turrets, hire two sets of Tech Hunters, and you could easily start your own base in one of the safer regions like Okran's Pride. From there, you've got WAY more options, and your mining will be much more useful since you can convert the ore into weapons and armor which you can sell while also boosting your craftsman's levels.

One addition: putting units on Passive is not enough. If an enemy gets into melee range and makes an attack, your units will stop to fight no matter what settings you've given them. Enable Passive+Block so they are less likely to get hit when an enemy swings as the run past, but more importantly whenever someone lights up as being targeted you spam move-orders by continuously holding RMB to interrupt their defense AI with "no that [self preservation] will get you eaten alive you moron, just GTFO and don't stop running"

edit: am I mistaken or does wearing a stolen uniform let you train Stealth by sneaking near your squadmates? Because once you get a 100% disguise rating you have a chance of being detected by your own units, meaning there are skill success/fail checks being performed...

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 23, 2020

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Tabletops posted:

If kenshi 2 comes out in 10 years how old will you guys be?

I'll be 40 something.

The ice caps, most major glaciers, Greenland glaciers will have melted.

There will be four simultaneous hurricanes in Florida.

Cov-sars-3 2029.

Donald Trump jr will be president.

Bernie Sanders will still be alive

Kenshi 2 will be playable

Bold of you to presume there will be a human race.
A bottomless pit churns beneath me.

e; on a less depressing note in the short term i'm looking forward to the genesis overhaul mod to getting more work added to it, it's a pretty good total conversion.

Ultramega fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 23, 2020

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Kenshi is actually prophetic. It is a glimpse of what is still to come.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

The kenshi setting is basically Warhammer 40K but it's set on some distant rim world that got partially populated by the imperium then because some bored intern accidentally rearranged some paperwork the planet is functionally nonexistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Suppose I want to build on the hill just north of Mongrel, where I can completely ignore cannibal raids because fogmen and Shinobi Guards make great meatshields. Except the game won't let me, because each "town" has some arbitrary exclusion radius that goes far beyond the town itself.

But it will let me build something further away...

...which creates an "outpost" town, that has its own radius where I'm allowed to build stuff.

Curiously, it doing this will let me build in Mongrel's exclusion zone.

Also doing this moves the "outpost" marker on the map

And deleting the first house moves the marker again

Now it looks like I CAN build on the hill, so long as I stay outside Mongrel itself.

A warning, save before trying this because occasionally deleting a structure for some reason reassigns the outpost to the nearest Fog Deathyard or Beak Thing Nest, meaning you can't deconstruct (though you can finish the build or pause construction and ignore it since it'll probably eventually despawn on its own if you kill the nest/etc and leave the area?).

Also I haven't actually gotten around to testing it yet, due to getting sidetracked by weirder bugs, but theoretically I think this would let you build a wall that spans the entire continent, or place redundant wind farms in PurpleSands/Heng/Stenn and have those turbines power mines/refineries in Black Desert and wells/farms in Okran's Pride. The only requirement for them to stay part of the same outpost seems to be that you have to build within the radius of your map-marker and to move it you need to create/delete Building-class structure wireframes (so it also requires planning and grinding a ton of resources in advance, because deconstructing/rebuilding indoors facilities is a lot more tedious than haphazardly spamming windmills/shacks across the map).

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 25, 2020