Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Gimmick Account posted:

I want to believe, but everything I've heard from other modders paints the picture of a game with looots of hard-coded limitations. So I'm not optimistic, but of course happy to be proven wrong!

I dicked around in the SDK for about half an hour, and yeah, if you think Kenshi itself is janky and duct-taped together, well :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

sloppy portmanteau posted:

I'm a few hours in and learning the ropes.

I'm having some trouble with getting my workers to eat. I've got 5 recruits mining + hauling back to my house, but 3 of them never go back and are starving. The 2 that do go back seem to eat out of the food storage just fine. They all have the same job loadout, am I doing something wrong or is this just the game being weird?

Also before making my first base should I get a few recruits and build up some combat skills, or will I be OK with just walls and some mounted crossbows?

Sounds like you're talking about having bought a house in a city. Just a guess but I'd think certain automation logic/triggers like "pathfind to a non-empty food storage" only execute inside a player-owned base/city/building. Which I'd guess is an intentional limitation after a whole bunch of super-dumb-AI bugs like breaking into locked houses at night to try and steal ore.

So for a potential fix, add some operation to at least one guy's work routine to make him enter the house where your food is stored? You can just have your "haul ore to storage" double as sandwich runner if the 'share food' setting is enabled (open the squad/research/etc UI and AI/Automation is the tab on the right)

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I've started playing Kenshi again now that I have a real high end computer, god what a amazing game. I do kinda cheat and use fast leveling mods to reduce grind, but I find the game to be still challenging and fun enough with it on, it makes me not savescum when I lose a particularly valuable crafter or fighter because it's actually possible to train up a replacement without hours of powerleveling.

My current run started solo, after I ran around getting my poo poo kicked in and building up stealth in the hub, I traveled to the UC and built up a drug cartel with the starting funds from fencing HN goods. Recruited about a dozen of aspiring drug dealers in the UC, who all had to flee the city after a very kenshi incident. One of them got enslaved, and then when I broke him out and unlocked his shackles with another character, the rest of my squad that hadn't had much combat experience attacked the slavers and police chasing him, leading to my entire party getting KO'ed and arrested. While some had terrorism charges, 3 or so had minor sentences that they were able to serve without getting enslaved and went back to working the covert hemp farm, while I tried to quickly train them up. I tried to get the rest out one by one, but I accidently had the same thing happen again, this time I was able to get everyone who was free barricaded inside and beat on the town guards and knock a few out. Now all of my guys were basically trapped Eventually, I was able to make a mad dash for it, free the rest who had been sent to the mines, and run to Worlds End, where I recruited 4 new dudes to go back and start getting my income going again.

Now that I've gotten flush with cash from selling hash and bandanas, I've built up a training center in worlds end and now got like my 10 "undercover" in the UC and 20 or so training at world's end, I think I'm almost ready to start bashing cannibals and built up a North Coast base, and I've gotten a ton of research done spending all my drug and bandana money on books. So far small groups have gotten the piss beat out of them by cannibals and needed to be rescued, but I'm getting close. Once I can craft some armor and decent weapons for all my guys I think I'll be able to use something besides overwhelming numbers on the cannibals.

Once I can get a base up I'd like to then go to war with either the UC or the HN. I still have my two longhouse hydroponic hemp farm in Sho-Baittai so while all my characters are mostly freed UC slaves I may instead go fight the HN first and try to wipe them out or at least do some damage and train up before I start raiding the UC.

What sort of weapons and armor would work effectively at fighting both armored and unarmored humans? I'm thinking trying to get a mix of light infantry kitted out like thieves guild members that would be mostly hitting softer targets and one heavy squad with samurai armor and nodachis, maybe a heavy weapon or two, to bail them out.

Oh, and once I get a base together I'll make an expedition to find Beep and create a Cyberbeep supersoldier to bring the HN down.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Funny enough fast leveling mods (at least the one's I've seen) aren't exactly cheats. The same leveling rules apply to everyone, not just the player characters. Sure, your skills are increasing faster but so are everyone else's.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

What sort of weapons and armor would work effectively at fighting both armored and unarmored humans? I'm thinking trying to get a mix of light infantry kitted out like thieves guild members that would be mostly hitting softer targets and one heavy squad with samurai armor and nodachis, maybe a heavy weapon or two, to bail them out.

Heavy weapons are basically king of the mountain at end game but at the same time, they don't really shine until end game because of the ludicrous stat requirements. Katanas are fine early on, but the second you start facing enemies with armor they are pretty terrible. Hackers are sort of a middle ground between sabers and heavy weapons, are specifically anti-armor, and have slightly less ridiculous stat requirements than heavy weapons. Personally I love polearms, naginatas to start off and then regular polearms later on. They have excellent reach, fast attack speed, and you get both anti-armor and anti-wildlife in a single package.

You'll definitely want two or more crossbowmen in your group as well, they are deceptively deadly. Give them toothpicks to train with and oldworld bows once they can handle them.

Armor is more complicated, but basically you can afford to wear heavier and heavier armor the higher your stats get. And you will want heavy armor for your front line troops. Samurai armor is probably the best overall, but a high quality Unholy Chest Plate is on par with the Samurai chest armor. I usually forgo boots and use wooden sandals, since the legplates give 100% coverage already.

Shalebridge Cradle fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Feb 8, 2021

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Yeah I think it’s hard coded that way, your character follows the same rules as literally any other mob. That being said unless you make an effort to keep some enemy alive it won’t really matter unless you get chased across the entire map.

Also early game I started making money by using my bugman for luring out and the selling knocked out city heroes into slavery, which was hilarious.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

What’s a good soft HN or UC target to get my insurgency started that will also pay out okay? Trade caravans?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

What’s a good soft HN or UC target to get my insurgency started that will also pay out okay? Trade caravans?

Rob the bank in Trader's edge. You can do it fairly easily by cheesing LOS once you have a decently high lockpick skill. I don't suggest violence, however, as they are right next to the Trader's Guild HQ.

Slave camps are a good combat target in the mid-game if you can deal with large-ish groups of armored troops. Their armor is mostly trash, but still. Just be sure to take out the mounted crossbow defenses asap.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Oh there’s a bank? I had no idea

Beep’s Eleven it is

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Armor is more complicated, but basically you can afford to wear heavier and heavier armor the higher your stats get. And you will want heavy armor for your front line troops. Samurai armor is probably the best overall, but a high quality Unholy Chest Plate is on par with the Samurai chest armor. I usually forgo boots and use wooden sandals, since the legplates give 100% coverage already.

Something I did on every playthrough was just have a guy who's entire job was to live in a city and make leather armour over and over again while everyone else adventured.

A full set of masterwork leather armour/turtleneck/boots/drifters/cap actually provides you with a fairly good amount of coverage and its very much a set and forget thing. Just check back on it every now and again to harvest all the animals the guards have murdered, occasionally stop back in town and drop off any fabric you've found in your travels.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I just have the prisoner burning pole mod that output pelts which combined with a lot of Cannibals, Holy Nation and UC nerds means I’ll have a good supply of leath... friends. Plenty of friends.

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

"Kill white people and get paid for it? What's not to like?"

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Funny enough fast leveling mods (at least the one's I've seen) aren't exactly cheats. The same leveling rules apply to everyone, not just the player characters. Sure, your skills are increasing faster but so are everyone else's.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I do kinda cheat and use fast leveling mods to reduce grind, but I find the game to be still challenging and fun enough with it on, it makes me not savescum when I lose a particularly valuable crafter or fighter because it's actually possible to train up a replacement without hours of powerleveling.

Not sure about other training and leveling mods, but having Advanced Training Dummies allows you to build your own set of dummies like the vanilla ones but with a cap of 70 instead of 15, and for more stats besides what's given to you in vanilla. In this case, I don't think other mobs will be affected because you have to have your character interact with the object in order to get the %experience gain. There are other mods that heighten the skill cap on the dummies.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I just have the prisoner burning pole mod that output pelts which combined with a lot of Cannibals, Holy Nation and UC nerds means I’ll have a good supply of leath... friends. Plenty of friends.

Why not your trusty friend Peeler Machine?

I'm having some trouble with getting my workers to eat. I've got 5 recruits mining + hauling back to my house, but 3 of them never go back and are starving. The 2 that do go back seem to eat out of the food storage just fine. They all have the same job loadout, am I doing something wrong or is this just the game being weird?

Put food in one of the recruits' backpack (protip: get a backpack if in want of), make sure "Share food from inventory" is ✓'d and then they will dine out of that person's inventory without interruption as long as they are nearby and in the same squad. Yes, they will shove their faces full of Foodcube (I mean, what do lowbies eat, Sandsticks or something?) whilst mining your dirty copper ore.

It's a lot easier than dealing with Food Storage, which is the only thing in your base that can be raided/stolen, so if they get their asses kicked and their lunch stolen by bandits it's the same net loss most of the time (*unless you do some real gangster terrain-breaking pathfinding error-not-found object placement and your Food Storage is inaccessible by physical reach and food is transmitted to your squad through the air via radio atom transmission and reconstitution) and once you've sold enough of that sweet copper ore to the unfortunate Bar you are turning a hefty profit on with your gimp quarry, get a pack animal and it will be even easier than ever to haul your foodpails and sporks to your brainless lackeys toiling in the heat all day and night for the collective good of your ant farm.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I kinda binge played kenshi this week and now I've imprisoned Slave master haga and the Phoenix and turned them both into torsos.

I made insane amounts of money from weapon crafting since I got a level 80 smith and could afford like 30 robot recruits to man a bunch of harpoons, so I've devastated the few UC and HN raids.

Unfortunately all my best fighters and ninjas save the one who carted of Phoenix got half killed and the rest arrested in the HN capitol during my raid, so I'm going to have to figure out how to rescue the survivors.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
What are some fun rules for a challenge run? Now that I have a squad of absurd combat monsters and money is no issue with my self sufficient base and legendary smiths I kind of want to restart.

I was thinking something along the lines of a squad limit of 8 not including pack beasts, and maybe only settle in cities, no base of my own. That would mean not being able to create my own iron plates and no farming or fabrics until hydroponics. But maybe this also removes too much of a challenge with no events or raids, but that really wasn't much of an issue with just a killzone and 2 crossbows. Also no savescumming, no stealing, and no kidnapping and creating limbless training dummies.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Settling in cities really cuts your "base time" down by a whole lot. 30 hours into a save and I've only got half of Hub rebuilt, it is daunting how many materials it is requiring. Materials you can't make.

Don't combine no base with no pack beast otherwise you'll be stacking backpacks just to carry enough food home.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
Right building materials would be hard too, unless there's a hybrid stone processor somewhere out in the wild.

What would be a good city which could eventually become nearly self sufficient? It would need a few buildings for sale, preferably lots of traders, and it would need to rain enough for water collectors or have a well.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Mourn is like Hub, a fixer-upper with a lot of space. The trio of actual cities you have access to in Catun, Springs and Flats are better than hub's Stack/Squinn.

I've been buying water at a store. Sometimes I get Mia and Jeonghyo, two somewhat consistant cheap recruits that come with farming, and send them on over to Stack or Bad Teeth. In those towns there's a ruined house with a farm plot out front that you can just buy. And Jeonghyo is greenlander, so he and Mia can play Orkran Gothic and be in charge of making all the greenfruit I need for life.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Nice

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

I know it's a vastly different genre and setting but anyone who likes Kenshi's early game might want to take a look at Valheim, because it scratches the same itches for me.

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 16, 2021

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Kenshi but Valheim would probably be a very fun game.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Right building materials would be hard too, unless there's a hybrid stone processor somewhere out in the wild.

What would be a good city which could eventually become nearly self sufficient? It would need a few buildings for sale, preferably lots of traders, and it would need to rain enough for water collectors or have a well.

There's a hybrid stone mine/processor at the abandoned holy mine just west of Iron Valleys, just make sure your dude running the machine is set to stay in stealth mode. You don't even need to power it, because generators owned by non-player factions produce power forever without fuel. Also don't ask why the Holy Nation is allowed to build forbidden lost tech.

Also if you go to UC slave camps you can take ore/stone from the mines and load it into the processsors, then take the iron/building materials, and nobody gives a gently caress. As long as you're not hostile to slavers/UC yet obviously. Or you could just assassinate/kidnap all the slavers and feed them to wildlife/cannibals/etc.

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
Finally getting to the point where my all martial arts crew is about to strike out and form a farm. A bunch of them are shek and some hero dudes started being racist in a bar and followed my group out of the city. Punching arms off makes me laugh every time.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

The first thing I did when I had a squad of competent fighters during my first run was massacre the UC Heroes dudes at their main HQ to the last man.

I used burning prisoner pole mod so it didn’t take days to beat them all into lethal states. It was pretty sweet revenge after I lost almost all my skilled artisans trying to escape from UC territory to Worlds End

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Kenshi but Valheim would probably be a very fun game.

Does Kenshi 2 have the same gameplay as 1? I haven't really been following development but with the change to the engine I could see them moving to more action-y combat and allowing direct control of a character like Mount&Blade or Starsector

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Pre alpha footage had been top down and only shown the building mode so probably similar to one.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Gonna try this poo poo out for the first time I think since I got into Valheim, decided I wanted a break from that, and remember this existed. Any advice/important mod suggestions for a fresh player?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Zerilan posted:

Gonna try this poo poo out for the first time I think since I got into Valheim, decided I wanted a break from that, and remember this existed. Any advice/important mod suggestions for a fresh player?
Remember that you don't play the characters, you play the faction. It's okay for people to get beaten up or even die because you're not in a failure state as long as at least one character survives to recruit new ones.

Most humanoid enemies will not outright kill and one of the best ways to get tougher is to get your rear end beaten repeatedly, so don't reload just because you lost a fight.

Be aware that when you establish an outpost you will start to attract attention nearby patrolling enemy squads that you may not be able to handle yet. Buying property in a city will be a lot safer when you're only just starting out.

Armor can give both benefits and maluses. Don't expect to sneak well or run fast in heavy armor, so if you need to run away from something, get nekkid.

Goats are lethal. Stay away from goats.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Zerilan posted:

The Kaizo constellation of world mods is what I'm playing now. If you look up Nookriums recent hiver playthrough I just used that mod collection as a base then went through the rimworld fugue state of workshop stuff.

It's p good, vanillaish, so not as wild and change happy as Genesis. I forget the other old big mod pack that changes stuff.

There's also a mod that changes the trade goods percentage tolerances that makes trade good.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Cardiovorax posted:

Remember that you don't play the characters, you play the faction. It's okay for people to get beaten up or even die because you're not in a failure state as long as at least one character survives to recruit new ones.

Most humanoid enemies will not outright kill and one of the best ways to get tougher is to get your rear end beaten repeatedly, so don't reload just because you lost a fight.

Be aware that when you establish an outpost you will start to attract attention nearby patrolling enemy squads that you may not be able to handle yet. Buying property in a city will be a lot safer when you're only just starting out.

Armor can give both benefits and maluses. Don't expect to sneak well or run fast in heavy armor, so if you need to run away from something, get nekkid.

Goats are lethal. Stay away from goats.

Kenshi is a much better game if you only savescum to deal with bugs. The only situation is if you have a very low skill character be the last survivor, get enslaved AND lose a leg at the same time. You can recover from that but it’s very boring and time consuming.

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

"Kill white people and get paid for it? What's not to like?"

Zerilan posted:

Gonna try this poo poo out for the first time... Any advice/important mod suggestions for a fresh player?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3862574&pagenumber=130&perpage=40#post504590461

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hello, I save scum. Not everything, but everything that is bullshit. The line for bullshit for every player is different. This is a bullshit game filled with bullshit. I love it tho

Mostly I save extremely often just to type out what the gently caress I am trying to do. Because a fight could be a 5 minute distraction or it could result in something that takes up the whole 3 he session. Just notes like "inventory management complete", "Don't bring Kanta to god country" or "the drugs are in the knapsacks", "venge 1" "venge2" and "venge3"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Oh hey this thread reminded me that it's been way too long since I've played last. So here's a question: are there any good mods that let you take over cities yet? As fun as it is to grind the world under the heels of my skeleton army, I want to rule the cities too. I remember there being a few in development last time I played but it's been a long rear end time.

KirbyKhan posted:

Hello, I save scum. Not everything, but everything that is bullshit. The line for bullshit for every player is different. This is a bullshit game filled with bullshit. I love it tho

Mostly I save extremely often just to type out what the gently caress I am trying to do. Because a fight could be a 5 minute distraction or it could result in something that takes up the whole 3 he session. Just notes like "inventory management complete", "Don't bring Kanta to god country" or "the drugs are in the knapsacks", "venge 1" "venge2" and "venge3"

I save obsessively but only reload if I encounter a situation that leads to me going "what the gently caress" and staring at the devastation that was my faction. Mostly beakthings. Usually I reload due to beakthing related mishaps.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
While investigating what took up space on my SSD, I discovered that Kenshi savegames were 25 gigabytes.

My latest game was a focus on a small number of elite fighters (human martial artists, Burn with heavy weapon, Beep with hacker, and dog). That served me well until the end game, but loving skin bandits have forced me to recruit increasingly large numbers of fighters. My incursions into the Ashland area have been stymied by the skin bandits, I was forced to recruit some Shek and skeleton fighters to support my core group, even though that core group is quite good.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 19, 2021

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

litany of gulps posted:

While investigating what took up space on my SSD, I discovered that Kenshi savegames were 25 gigabytes.

My latest game was a focus on a small number of elite fighters (human martial artists, Burn with heavy weapon, Beep with hacker, and dog). That served me well until the end game, but loving skin bandits have forced me to recruit increasingly large numbers of fighters. My incursions into the Ashland area have been stymied by the skin bandits, I was forced to recruit some Shek and skeleton fighters to support my core group, even though that core group is quite good.

Oh yea Kenshi saves are HUGE and they become progressively more so the older the run is.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
drat, my LP save with like 60 odd fighters who have been everywhere and fought everyone is a little over a gig :psyduck:

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
This game rules and it's pretty much exactly how the title of the thread bills it. Kenshi doesn't seem very friendly to new characters, though - I've read around and it seems like everyone is recommending exploits for beginning to level my main stumbling block, which seems to be melee attack. The 'carry around heavy poo poo' I kinda stumbled onto myself and that's been great for leveling strength and athletics up to par, but what is the intended (for lack of a better word) way to level something like melee attack, especially if you intend to do a solo run? I can't even fight a bonedog solo without it knocking me unconscious.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Finding a weak enemy, knocking them unconscious, and then carrying them off to lock them in a building in which you can then knock them unconscious repeatedly for training is one possibility. The game is not really built for solo characters, though - you'll want to avoid more fights than you get into, because in the worst case, you don't even have someone who can drag your body to safety when a fight goes bad.

There are also training dummies that you can use, but those require a decent amount of research. I would check for a city in which you can buy a cheap house and get a grasp on the research and construction system. You'll need it sooner rather than later.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Pyrus Malus posted:

This game rules and it's pretty much exactly how the title of the thread bills it. Kenshi doesn't seem very friendly to new characters, though - I've read around and it seems like everyone is recommending exploits for beginning to level my main stumbling block, which seems to be melee attack. The 'carry around heavy poo poo' I kinda stumbled onto myself and that's been great for leveling strength and athletics up to par, but what is the intended (for lack of a better word) way to level something like melee attack, especially if you intend to do a solo run? I can't even fight a bonedog solo without it knocking me unconscious.

Fite people instead, less likely to eat you after knocking you unconscious.

Hungry bandits should be your go-to for the 5-25 range. Solo is rough because you have to be hella selective in your engagements, which makes leveling slower.

You could get a research up to level 3 for a cage, buy up a shack on hub, then beat and kidnap someone to put in that lil abuse shack. Hella serial killer tho

Edit: beaten like an attack training prisoner. Oh my god this game is for serial killers.

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's Kenshi. If you aren't abducting people to put them into your limb-removal machine, you aren't trying.