Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Lone Badger posted:

If you want lots of meat send a person and a bull to the hive villages. The guards are always killing beak-things and gorillos for you to harvest.

If you just want food send someone with around 30 thievery to just about any holy nation bar, the entrance barrels have like 75 ration packs.

Or go to the bar in squin, I encumbered 3 bulls cleaning out the upstairs food storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
There's also a few mods that increase the market side of the bases, and I'm pretty sure recruitable people show up now and again

I haven't played with bases too much yet, I just make bank selling skeleton repair kits to the hub and bought everything I needed from armor king and the scrapyard

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
And definitely get that texture compression mod

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Other than the hotpants and high heels mods obviously

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Based on tobels lp, the wrath of God raid was like 8 patrols worth.

Is the event actually required to take down the nation? I just snuck into the places to kidnap the high inquisitors and don't actually have an outpost since I'm playing solo (other than some random scrub that's been researching eternally in a house in squin)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Depending where you base is some of the wrath of god guys could get distracted so you won't get hit with everything at once. In the Tobel case he was up on leviathan coast and about 2/3 of em were delayed by beak things

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Or the Fog where the HN is just too scared to go

e: Can you give prisoners cybernetic legs? Like could one, say, put the holy inquisitor in a peeler then give him cybernetics and release him back to the nation? Would they send him to rebirth?

Azhais fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 17, 2019

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The only thing race really affects skill wise is speed of gain. I'm running around as a solo skeleton and I've got 80+ in all of the thief related skills now so it's not like you can't do it. Obviously a hiver will become a better thief faster, but if you're dedicated it doesn't really matter. I kidnapped both High Inquisitors by just running in, stealth ko, and running out without ever being seen so all things are possible

Frankly I like the skeleton for it since with all the extra martial arts damage you can save even more weight for loot

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, but even in that case low 70s is good enough for pretty much anything, especially if you're in full stealth mode and slap on some ninja rags and pants for like +40%

After picking up the inquisitors I was at ~68% stealth due to the "equipment penalty" of carrying the guys, and I still ran out past the gate guards without ever going red

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Dodge only applies to Martial Arts, if someone has a weapon equipped they can't dodge. Instead, the relevant stat becomes Block. So, if you're not training a martial artist, don't worry about the dodge stat at all

The wiki would imply that dodge also applies any time you're staggered or running

Granted any heavy armor worth wearing will gut your dodge to the point you might as well not have it anyway, but I think it does kick in even while armed in those specific situations where you can't melee defense

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Does anyone know of a mechanic I'm missing/a mod that makes "rescuing a neutral npc from certain death" not "KIDNAPPER! KILL HIM!"?

Earlyish on in my current skeleton run I picked up a Mongrel guard who was taken into a deathyard and I was promptly attacked by his friends back in town because of what a horrible monster I was for picking him up. It would be nice to be able to rescue people I want to be friends with

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Babe Magnet posted:

always play more squads + more dudes in squads. You thought hungry bandits were annoying now? wait until there's 120 of them in a single squad lmao

and yet you give them 1000 cats and they wander off. I am beloved by the hungry bandits

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

That would be a great training system, but since we’re the “robot liberation front” I’ll have to rely on beating HN troops and farmers to death instead.

Probably just gonna start fighting starving bandits near the Hub as well too.

Edge of the fog would be good too

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The anti-slavers don't like the Shek iirc.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Raptor island is pretty quiet, but I don't know what the resources look like

e: Raptor, not Reaper

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
^^ Well, the meat resources certainly look like raptors

If it's the area I think it is, I don't know that I'd classify gut as in any way newbie friendly unless said newbies are fond of dealing with a dozen beak things at a time

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Can also hire a few mercs to eat the brunt of the damage

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Kenshi: ALL SHALL FEAR BEEP

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Just need to kill three people in the holy nation then all the farms and cities are auto dealt with

I need to get my game going again and deal with all the princes next

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cardiovorax posted:

Leave it, it's great strength training.

yeah, one of the least irritating ways to gain strength is to just load up all your guys with corpses/ore and have them follow around whoever has the material delivery job in your base so they're just constantly sprinting between mines and such fully encumbered and you don't have to pay any attention to them

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If you're going hungry nearly every inn has nigh unlimited food right at the entrance that's trivial to steal

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You'll never be detected stealing loose items in shops unless someone is actively looking at you (unlike the % chance of everyone nearby hearing you take from chests), so going to the second floor in a lot of buildings is a thievery skill bonanza. Squin is great for this, lots of multistory public buildings, and once you get to like 40 skill you can clean out the second floor of the inn as long as some random merc company isn't there drinking for tons more skill (and about 40 tons of food cubes)

If you feel like exploiting this, dropping the items and picking them back up gives skill again, so you can just grab everything, find a quiet corner, and go all the way to 100 if you were so inclined. You can also use the drag inventory to a portrait trick to pause, steal everything in a chest, then drop it on a teammate outside, and continue on to the next chest unencumbered. I was personally fond of having my guy in ninja pants go strolling into the holy nation with 4 bulls and walk out with hundreds of building materials and iron plates and whatever else I needed to keep my base running.

Once you have all your ill gotten gains, just leave town. The gate guards only care about contraband, not stolen goods in your inventory, so it's just an extra layer of hilarity.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm pretty torn on the attack slots one. it makes the game dramatically easier if you outnumber, dramatically harder if you're outnumbered (to downright impossible if you're solo), and marginally easier if you're evenly matched since the player is better at gangbanging than the AI is.

I find it pretty unbalanced, not QoL at all.

The only real cheat-y mod I run around with is the execution mod because jesus is it irritating cleaning up after raids with things waking up constantly

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Pretty sure there's a mood that gives even more faction interaction/destruction options too, but I can't recall the name.

Did something with the combat change recently (like month recently)? I played my solo skeleton for the first time in a while and things seem harder than I remember, i.e fighting two security spiders went from free electronics to an existential threat for some reason

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I equip them with the crappiest fastest firing crossbow I can find

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
My biggest annoyance with pack animals is getting stuff from them into storage crates at the new base. best way I've found so far is to just give everyone hauling jobs to every storage box and fling everything on the ground

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cardiovorax posted:

Honestly, recruits are never in short supply. Just make a circuit, every town will have at least one guy per bar. The recruitment mod makes it minimally more convenient because you still need to hunt down and then heal and then convince a bandit that they should join you. It is not really a balance concern, it just feels like it should be.

eh, it's a little bit of a balance issue. my base was just attacked by a pile of black dragon ninjas and I ended up recruiting two skeletons with straight 50 skills, that's way better than I could find anywhere else

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Addamere posted:

does this game go on sale usually during steam sales?

I've not seen it too often, and nothing right now

https://isthereanydeal.com/game/kenshi/info/

If you're a humble monthly subscriber you could get it 10% off

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The shek just take stuff from storage, slap that stuff on a cow every couple weeks and you're fine

Built my first base between the hub and squin and somehow I now get ninja demands, raider demands, shek tribute demands, and prayer day visits

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
So, other people with prisoner recruitment, how do you actually recruit dust/starving bandits? They're listed as "easy", but when I start conversations it goes

1. "wanna join" or "what are you in for", first option moves on, second ends conversation instantly
2. "we'll give you food" or "haha food is for winners", first moves forward, second ends conversation instantly
3. they say "oh, give me food" then the only option is "gently caress you got mine" and the conversation ends instantly

The ninjas all recruited just fine as long as you didn't go all weeaboo with the conversation options, but the bandit conversation seems to just end with you trolling them about eating.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Just don't save scum steal.

Early game stealing and getting your rear end beat + thrown in a cage is part of the experience.

Just pick up poo poo on the ground and your thievery will get so high you can just stare the shopkeeper right in the eyes as you take stuff out of his counter with a 185% chance of success

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cardiovorax posted:

It's semi-random by design. The same answers actually don't always work and there's always a random guy who wants way more than is justified for what he can do for you. Personally, I stick with slavery mods as a result. They basically allow you to use the same prisoner dialogue, but with way fewer hoops to jump through. Prisoner Recruitment is popular with people who still want there to be a cost to it.

It isn't random at all, that series is reproducible 100% of the time. the only variation is when I forget to remove their weapon and they just call me an rear end in a top hat and refuse to talk at all.

They all whine about rice bowls and vegetables, I'm wondering if you just can't recruit them without a farm or something

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Are you carrying food to give them?

First time no, second and subsequent times I keep carrying an increasing variety of things, including making half the continent shopping trips to get exotic foods like "rice" that aren't available locally

I've got meat cubes, and dried meat, and ration packs, and dustwiches, and rice bowls, and whatever those bamboo looking meat items are, and fish from the fishing mod. You name it I've pretty much got it on me other than raw vegetables since I don't have any farms which I suppose is my next option

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
For a followup on the recruitment issues I was having: Food in backpack doesn't count, only food in main inventory

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mr. Pool posted:

I have not played this sine the extremely buggy betas, but I can still make a fortress in the fog death zone right??

can build anywhere that isn't super close to an existing town, so yes

And just to avoid spoiling people that don't want to see the map, I'm linking to this on Reddit, someone prettified the map to show all the factions:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Kenshi/comments/d3iqn1/political_map_of_kenshi_with_disputed_regions/

Azhais fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 13, 2019

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

zedprime posted:

It's just iron man. You can get new ones out of a rock in the ground.

Yeah, iron is pretty low value in general and you probably shouldn't be mining it unless you have a base or are just looking for something to encumber yourself with (and even then copper is a better option just since it has some value after the fact).

If you are in your base and trying to get at the iron, you could try just giving someone a "haul to ore storage" job and see if they go pick it up themselves

Zesty posted:

I have a team of 10. I'm thinking it might be time to start a base. Where should I settle down? What should I definitely research before doing it? I think I have everything a rank 3 research bench gets me.

How strong are your 10 dudes and what's your goal? Obviously if you've cleared the holy nation you're probably doing pretty ok, so my suggestions at this point would be to either a) buy some materials and a couple of pack animals and just set up a base as a forward operations center near whatever your next attack target is going to be so you have someplace safe to fall back on to heal or b) start up a base someplace quiet and make all of those construction materials yourself before doing a.

As an advanced group setting up in the fog islands is a great place to build up materials as long as you can handle endless fogmen. If you're just looking for a challenge go tame crater or gut or the leviathan coast. If you're just looking for a base of operations then that's going to be fluid based on your current goals.

If you just want quiet place to farm anywhere in the border zone or former holy nation territory is fertile and low danger, tho I'm pretty sure you're going to be dealing with holy nation crusades non-stop now that you've crippled them so someplace further away might be advisable.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Addamere posted:

I have my guys trained up to 5 attack with their starter clubs and I've done some low level research. How long should I stick around The Hub before moving on? I am basically waiting for the barman to restock for books at this point, and just constantly keeping 2 dudes each on copper and iron while a third dude hauls the ores to sell. I could set up a stone mine outside The Hub, but honestly what would I even do with the building materials unless I go on to make a base right there ... hmm

Stick around until you can survive higher level fights basically. Bandits and ninjas and bonedogs and such you can always pick up people and run if needs be. Once you start dealing with beak things that you can't run from or fog men that will kidnap you at a moment's notice you need to be reasonably confident in your fighting abilities.

Personally I made my first base on that little plateau between the hub and squin. Easy access to both towns for starter supplies/safety if you get overrun, and a neverending supply of starving and dust bandits to harden my guys on while I built up building supplies for the next move. It also has good fertility, 60% water, 100% stone, and 1 iron/2 copper easily walled in with others nearby. You'll also get ninja raids for higher level content (and robot recruits from them sometimes if you use prisoner recruitment), along with both shek tribute demands and holy nation prayer days, so no shortage of excitement.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cardiovorax posted:

Personally, I get out of Hub the moment I can because literally anywhere else is better. Most other places at least have shops. And guards. You know, city stuff.

You can drag anyone into the bar or to the thieves after you ally them and they'll handle anything that you're likely to train to town anyway.

I'm enjoying having my first base between the hub and squin, since it has fast access to a real town, and fast access to sell everything I've stolen from that real town since there's three places to sell right there with the two bars and thieves.

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

I have a question for everyone, though. Has anybody remained long term allies of the Holy Nation? Unless you have an all male human group it seems like there are just too many ways to lose reputation with them.

No, they're jerks.

On the topic of the holy nation, has anyone ever seen them get overrun without intervention? I've got the spawners turned up (like 2.5 or 3 I think on the number of nests) and stack has just been massacred by bonedogs. One gate has 3 guards during the day (only two of which have legs) and 2 at night now, and the other has one day guard and no night guards left. Multiple of the shopkeepers are dead. Gonna be a city of wolves pretty soon.

I've never seen that happen before, even on other playthroughs with the same settings

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cardiovorax posted:

I suppose I just like to rely too much on the conveniences of More Items modded traders. It's so nice to just buy armor plates, leather, fabric and robotics components by the stack instead of having to manufacture them myself. It's a financial drain, but oh so worth it.

I use that too, the squin general trader has piles of the stuff with the more items mod so it's been good enough for me. I still haven't bothered with my own electronics production and just buy em from there. I guess I don't know what the robotics components situation is like, for the most part I just buy all my cyberware from black desert city or mongrel, gives my 5 skeleton martial artists something productive to do :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zesty posted:

Cleared? I kidnapped the leaders.

Well, kidnapping the leaders takes a certain level of skill.

I did it with my 80 stealth 80 assassination skeleton character without killing anyone or being seen at any point which doesn't really imply a level of combat skill, but I suspect most people don't just do commando assassination runs to get the phoenix and instead actually attack the town which does.