Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Picked this up yesterday and definitely didn't spend 3 hours mining copper to buy a house...

I tried to send 3 members of my 4 person squad to another town, and bunch of starving bandits beat them up. Thankfully, they didn't take any of my food. One of them healed my robot, and the robot healed him, and they limped halfway back to town before being disabled again by a single angry pig, at which point my newly minted "scientist" had to leave her station to haul the boys home. They all received a nice bump in Toughness for the trouble.

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Shortly after my party recovered from their beatings, these chaps strode through and told us that it was Prayer Day. they were nice to me but they made sure to kill quite a few bandits on their way through the Hub, where I have since purchased a Storm House.

After the monks were gone, the Hub was attacked by the BAND OF BONES:

the Top Men run away to hide with the ninjas:

turns out they just wanted to destroy the same group of bandits that had been targeted during the Church's holy rampage:

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

buglord posted:

So what do I do after I pay for entry into the secret ninja club? I started as a wanderer and aside from mining copper and starting unfair barfights, my character is pretty unskilled and poor.

I have some random weapons and armor I looted but I’m certain I still can’t win a fight against anything head on.

I wish I knew. I bought a storm house to do research in, and I plan to hire more goons through the ninjas and start pushing out into the wastes. I also bought a kickass bonedog from a wandering trader. He's the bodyguard for my miners outside the Hub.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Babe Magnet posted:

If you're asking what the secret ninja club gets you, in most towns there's a ninja tower, and inside that ninja tower you'll usually find a plastic surgeon to retool your character and a fence in order to sell your stolen goods. As for what to do in general, slowly work your way out of Hub, but stay nearby. The copper mine will get you money. You need to start making pilgrimages to Stack (north-northwest) and Squin (south), and maybe even Bad Teeth (northeast of Stack) and Admag (west of Squin) to get recruits; Sheks are fighty boys and more expensive, Greenlanders are your average joes.

Numbers is the important thing early game if you plan on going a base-building route. You should get someone farming greenfruit ASAP, even though it's really lovely to grow greenfruit around hub. Having a high farming skill is important for self-sustainability. You can also start working on stone mines and refineries in order to get building materials and people's labor stats up. I'd say you should stay near hub until you can take Dust Bandits by yourself.

Be aware that when you start building near hub, it'll establish an Outpost, which means you'll start getting attention from all sorts of unsavory types.

Is there another way to survive if you don't build a huge base?

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Any advice for bypassing or expediting the resource grind? I want to stop but it doesn't seem like my little crew of 5 would last long out in the wastes. This game is rad but the mining is so boring.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Herstory Begins Now posted:

This is commonly done with trader's leather as well, you'll get 80-90 armoursmithing in an hour or two and a fuckton of money and can pretty much keep it going indefinitely with the supplies in any town with a trader that restocks leather. Produces like 50k a day or so. Getting enough money to hire a bunch of dudes and/or some mercenaries to guard your babby outpost makes all the difference in the world. If you don't want to do the capturing prisoners and beating on them route of improving combat skills, run out to Mongrel and beat on the fogmen near the gate. You can get combat skills up to 30 or so like that quickly (and you can buy top quality stuff in the town and even replacement limbs if you happen to get any knocked off).

RE base stuff, as long as you have an iron node, stone, and some copper around, you are basically self sufficient from the get go. Defending the outpost is the harder part

Another option is supposedly you can just follow around allied armies and jump in the fighting with them and if you get knocked out they'll heal you up at the end of each fight and you can get a good bit of xp and some coin/loot like that, too.

Awesome info here, thank you.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

This was the end of a nasty fight:

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Aug 5, 2018

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Carcer posted:

I was thinking of building my base in the border between Vain and the Border Zone. Is this a good idea or am I going to be turbo hosed by something?

I ran across a couple of Dust Bandit camps in the hills there.

I built a stone mine in the valley north of the Hub. That somehow pushed my outpost borders close enough to the Hub that I could I place my refinery buildings and stockpiles immediately next to the copper and iron mines. I've since added a wind generator and a lovely useless greenfruit garden.

Also, do note that there's another bartender with his own inventory in the building directly north of the Hub.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Orv posted:

Christ I've been idly booting this game up and messing around for five seconds for close to a decade now and you assholes are making me want to really sit down and give it a go.

turn up the research rate, turn down hunger, go hog wild

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

buglord posted:

any mods I can install mid-save that reduce the near vertical progression system? Its taking a while for my poor guys to become bulky death machines, and I feel like should be making more by selling copper. Not sure when I am safe to start a settlement. Last time I tried, everyone and their mother came to bother me and sack me.

You can customize mining speed, hunger, and a few other variables when you start a new game.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

buglord posted:

I’m hoping there’s more squad automation in the future. I feel as if I have to keep my eyes on everyone at the same time. Making sure the miners keep mining, my soldiers are training, dudes are all well fed...

Hypothetically seems easy if I have this all under one roof but I can’t afford that. It’s just tedious when your squad is spanned across a large area.

Indeed. Just to auto sell my copper would be enough...

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Turtlicious posted:

Does this game have a manual, or a wiki or something, I'm about to start my first game ever and I already have decision paralysis from the 16 different starts.

Check the first 3 or 4 pages of this thread, there's a bunch of good info about starting and early game. I haven't found any better info.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

how the devil do i make someone operating a stone processor automatically take stone from stone storage

i can get people hauling from the mine to the storage with no problems!!

Make them work the processor as a job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

lunatikfringe posted:

Game launches officially tomorrow. Last chance to get it for the pre-release price of $20 before it increases to $30 after release. The Devs have been releasing bugfixes to the game on a daily basis for the past few weeks and the game is really shaping up. I already have 90 hours into the game on a single playthrough, so definitely worth the money if you like open world sandbox RPGs.

Wow! I'm kind of stunned. The dev cycle has been so long I thought they might never wrap.