Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
The only thing that stopped me on my 70 hour 2 weeks binge was a corrupt save in my game with 50+ mods. I think I easily would have hit 100+.

It's a good game but like many have mentioned, it's extremely JANKY. That's my key takeaway. Jank all over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Goodchild posted:

Did you come across any mods that really stood out? I haven't taken a good look yet.

Here's my mod list:

I highlighted all of the mods I think are essential for a Good Time. Two in particular are:
Reactive World - Kind of adds the ability to clear factions from cities to allow other factions naturally at war with the one's you killed off to move in. Kinda adds a little bit more life to world
RIYmore building - The only way to get decent amount of ancient and engineering research is to import your squad into a new game world and loot the few places in the world that have a chance to spawn that loot... which is super dumb. The method they implement is pretty neat with having to plant trees and chop wood and make paper and whatnot. Adds a whole production chain that takes like 10 more people to work efficiently... so it's balanced out with the food costs. It's still fun to go fight and loot the places with the good loot but this alleviates the import problem. I'm sure there's plans for this in the main game at some point because you get enough ancient/engineering research from loot to unlock maybe 10% of all of the stuff that requires it.
Dark UI - A must have, makes the UI way more palatable.

edit: Wait I mean more building not RIY for everything I just wrote up. RIY is a separate research creation mod that I didn't actually have activated because I liked the way the more building mod did it (with trees you plant and workers to chop the trees and make paper etc etc)

Also load order matters a whole lot. There's a good chance your Hub will be all messed up since a few of the mods change the way it looks without saying it. This can be fixed with load order... but the biggest inconvenience I've had so far in the hub is it's just bisected by some buildings and you have to take a roundabout way up the walls to get to the only store that actually matters in the whole place. It's still functional otherwise. You'll know what I'm talking about when you see it.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 10, 2018

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Communist Walrus posted:

In my most recent game of this, I wanted to have a squad of half man, half robot warriors. The base game unfortunately lacks a way to intentionally amputate someone's limbs, and throwing characters into combat is unreliable when it comes to limb loss, so I started sending people into some nearby acid lakes until their appendages burned off and I could plug in cybernetic replacements.

I learned a lot about myself.

There's a mod for that!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1396056759&searchtext=

I was also going for cybernetic samurais... and by the end I had a couple guys decked out in Azuchi armor and full cybernetic limbs with combat stats close to 90... 2v100 was viable

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

The best way at the moment to make money is by mining copper. You can set up a campfire, some storage, and some beds (for healing if some roamers attack you) next to a copper node and make a killing. Copper nodes allow 2 people at a time, so you can use 2 people mining and one to ferry the goods back to the hub (if that's where you're stationed). Once you start making money you can then buy a shack or two in one of the towns and start to research. I'm not sure I understand your comment about the tech tree. Are you actively researching at a research bench using books?

Once you've researched a bunch of stuff and continued to train, you may be able to move out of the hub to your own settlement and start farming and whatnot.

I used a lot of mods so I'm not too sure how vanilla plays now. With mods, I bought a shack in one of the desert cities that was conveniently right next to a copper node, then trained using training dummies until I had a few people in 30s, then ventured out on my own.

As an aside, one thing I really liked about the game is how the AI can take over your settlement. So getting wiped and having your limp unconscious bodies physically removed from your own settlement wasn't the worst thing or the end of the game. It motivates you to go and train up so you can take your settlement back at a later time. That was neat.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

bob human being posted:

I have 2 different types of tables at my base. Do I have to assign someone to do research?

Yep, shift+right clicking like anything else to give them the research job. Also you need to throw the relevant research material into the table.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

bob human being posted:

Awesome. How do I autoloot bandits to put their stuff in my storefront?

no idea on that one, I never used the market stalls

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

I want a button to make everyone run at the same speed. Having party members sprinting ahead and then doubling back towards my slower people is silly. :(

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Get the training dummies mod and you can train a squad that can hold their own in a few hours... and then over the course of 10s of hours become more godly, instead of hundreds.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Install the training dummy mod

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Agean90 posted:

it's been a whole people say me in later this game because my craptop is slowly dieing but I like be that the game explicitly tells you that the only way to get stronger is to it get your rear end kicked a bunch
come again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Yeah I was loving the game and unfortunately had to quit after my 70 hour save would CTD on load.