Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
So, uh, what is everyone's opinion on the various 'expanded' mods? I hadn't played since they added crossbows so I figured why not mod? I started up a new game with Hives Expanded and Cannibals Expanded and, uh, yeah they're neat but holy poo poo is their gear better than anything I've found the other factions using. Are any of the city mods worth using? I used to use a Blister Hill expansion with some kind of AI tweak but that was ages ago. I *liked* the janky feel and atmosphere of Kenshi so I'm not too interested in stuff that adds a bunch of their own bespoke factions or whatever unless they really fit.

That being said... the new map looks nice. I had never ventured much further south than the Hub and, uh, I get the blood spider hate now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I'm inclined to keep the expanded mods going because I, too, enjoy the added flavor and all the crazy cannibal crap. I was just getting worried when I noticed fog heavies wielding bone clubs of meh quality that do something like .81 blunt damage and weigh like 4kg. Hivers are pretty fragile though so the armor being good isn't a huge problem. I'm just worried about wondering onto the north coast and getting wrecked by a bunch of plate-armored scrawny cannibals armed with spiked maces or whatever. Nothing more crossbows won't fix.

Are there any not-bad city expansions? I am adding the East Coast expansion but I'm not sure if the Hook one is a good idea, it seems cramped. I haven't been down there yet so eh. I was looking at some of the Extended City mods but I'm reading about floating windmills, too many added factions, and some look cluttered. Mostly I'm worried about compatibility with reactive world, though.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Yeah the Hub feels... off. I guess that's the point but I kind of wish you could recover some of it at least. Or at least build around it.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
They can 'smell' corpses from a ways away and will come to check it out. They can see for a long ways in front of them with those big giraffe necks. I would build a storm house or something nearby that you can retreat to when needed or lure literally every nearby critter to you and shoot them from the roof.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Dark UI is nice but it doesn't seem to play well with my 16:10 monitor. It clips off text in the stat menu and a few other oddities. I don't know how common it is since no one seems to use this size anymore, just FYI.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I just stuffed the Kral leader guy into a prison cage without knowing who he was and everyone treated me like I had killed him or something so I think that's all you have to do?

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
RIP Kenshi II. Maybe graphics are the most important thing the dev wants for K2 but damned if I can't understand the desire to learn a totally new engine when you want to build on and expand your previous work.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I thought I'd turn the damage multiplier and lethality up to get a more brutal feel in my game. People are dying left and right, so that's cool. A bonedog pack has murdered everyone in Stack since they get the first couple hits in and that's enough to down a paladin. I had to turn the setting back to normal after I found out that while crossbow damage was increased, resistances were not. I somehow did ~300 damage to a poor guy with a bow that is only supposed to do 80-100. Ouch. I'll admit, blowing off limbs and dropping fully armored soldiers every couple seconds was fun for a short bit.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Actually, you'll find that katanas and nodachis are the best because they look the best when you're wearing the dustcoat and goggles. Also, I've noticed that my spiked maces have a 2x bleed modifier, which is one of the highest I've seen. Bleed damage doesn't actually seem to do a lot to most enemies but it's probably worth using against some tougher enemies.

Plek fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 15, 2019

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I am honestly a little surprised that there isn't a spear of some sort in the game. It'd fit with the aesthetic. Not sure how you'd differentiate it from polearms though, except maybe a lot more bleed.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Any time one of my guys tries to get up with an enemy within a mile they they instantly knocked down again by the Force or something, and it doesn't seem to train toughness at all unless you actually get all the way up.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Factions have a price modifier for buildings, but I don't know if it is in addition to the regular price or not. I'm messing with item prices and they get weird fast.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Yep, and it seems simple, but I don't think they're uniform. Changing the profitability on wheatstraw from -.2 to -.8 game me things from 12000c per strawflour to -8000 depending. I should probably write it all down instead of eyeballing it.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I think getting stealth xp requires you to move now, but it does seem like the range that it counts other creatures for xp is bigger. Or maybe I just never noticed. Either way, getting stealth xp isn't terribly hard.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
If damage accumulates from a wound degrading below the KO threshold determined by your toughness, it will knock a character out. I've had characters recover and start bandaging themselves only to pass out mid-operation because their stomach hit -30 or whatever. It kind of sucks that they'll bandage body parts in order no matter how severe they are damaged.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I hated pack animals for how slow they were until I noticed after I parked a couple at my base during one of those rear end in a top hat ninja raids. A pair of bulls would send limbs rocketing off into the sky. I still don't like them but, well, I understand the appeal.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
My bulls seem to be capping out at less than 20mph, but their athletics is only around 60 or so. If you're using the animal backpack mod those packs boost their speed. But maybe I do need to just jog them more.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

All off-coast water is acid. Just find the nearest ocean.

This isn't true. Most ocean water is fine to swim in. The coast of Vain is acid and... don't know where else.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Huh, sorry then. I only ever tried to swim in Vain and thought it was a general rule, so I never tried anywhere else.

Hey no worries, I'm not trying to call you out on it. There always seems to be new things to learn in Kenshi; I probably wouldn't have thought to bother trying either except I was chased into the sea by a horde of cannibals early on.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Hah, glad I am not the only one to start under a deathray.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Shh, don't talk about him.

But If you played Kenshi mostly vanilla before, there's a fair few mods to add that change things up significantly enough to merit another playthrough. Kaizo is a thing some people like, or genesis. I don't think they're done though. Reactive world seems to be fairly vanilla while still changing up some of the triggers - I'd recommend this one. Living World is buggy and crashy, can't recommend. Get enhanced shopping economy if you want to run your own shop or something, and you can get the Hiver/Cannibal/Screaming Bandit Expanded mods but I found all but the hiver ones to be kind of broken, although the armor sets DO look cool. Also the hiver armor is loving great, you get to look like a conquistador. I'd say also get Dialogue Expansion or whatever. It has some oddball things that don't fit quite right but for the most part it's alright. Makes the world a bit more chatty.

PRD is doing a major overhaul based on Reactive World called Realpolitik but I have no idea how finished it is. When I tried it there were several empty and broken towns, including Squin. But it's promising at least. There's a couple equipment expansions that are ok, Trading Economy Improved or whatever adds a bunch of price mods to make trading a little more straight-forward and there's a mod that adds a couple unique items called Trade Items Economy that's built on top of that and a holy empire weapon mod that fits in really well, but I'm not sure how good since they've got only a literal handful of users. I like them though.

There's a mod that adds skeletons based on the limbs you can get in game and they're REALLY well done, but I only recommend installing the KLR and Industrial lifter variants unless you want to watch the scout rabbits or assassin bugs murder and entire city sometimes because holy poo poo a super fast skeleton with like 80 in martial arts is loving terrifying.

Other than all that, I'd say just add what you like for flavor. I tend to avoid adding a lot of items or npcs and cities because they often clash with Kenshi's theme more than I'd like, but there are a LOT of them if you're looking to spice things up.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
So I tried out a base in the corner of the Unwanted Zone because it was fairly central on the map and had an endless supply for beakthings for target practice. Turns out that the zone might be unwanted but my stuff sure as hell wasn't.

Yeah ok that's not great but maybe the beakthings will give me a hand?

Eh, B for effort. Oh, wait they all left at the same time...

Hahahaha :bisonyes:

And it was a glorious day.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I think the skeletons get kind of attached to places and will find a reason to stick around. So a bunch wander around the mountains where an old city used to be, or hang out in the floodlands, or refuse to leave their little isolated enclave in the deadlands. They all seem kind of nostalgic to a fairly neurotic degree.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Carried corpses absolutely despawn if you load/save.

Get more people or pack animals. They're WAY less likely to vanish.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Just don't get Domesticated Bulls from farms; they're slow as gently caress.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Crab Tournament is amazing.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Hey can I shill my mods here? One in particular is a bugfix making sure that fixes that Deadcat fishing village east of Black Scratch that isn't supposed to be Deadcat.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Yeah that's their thing. Their outside your control though, but you can repair and equip them with stuff. I think if you give them first aid kits they might heal you too.

Also, gently caress it;

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2348787545

Fixes the fishing village.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
If it is anything like the Tower of Goats, pain and suffering.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Holy poo poo

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Heng. It's centralish for early game stuff and has a decent selection. But mostly so that when I decide to massacre the Trader's Guild I don't have to walk very far.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I thought picking a slave up broke the join script or something? I stopped running off with them a long time ago though so maybe not.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

I think if you put it in his backpack then he won't.

As far as I can tell, that won't stop them. I just stick their personal gear in their own chest somewhere and hope I notice if they're being attacked before it gets bad.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Is there a chance she wondered outside and got murdered? I've had people, for whatever bullshit reason, leave the gates only to get nailed in the head by one of my own turrets. The death alert can be easy to miss.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
They don't like my boy Beep. I would burn the world down for him.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Hey, shilling for a mod again : https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2714086775

It's a general bugfix that includes one of mine, so I recommend it.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

genericnick posted:

OK, so how does the armor stuff work? I gather that dex is connected to cutting damage and strength to blunt, but how am I to figure out if the 0.85 multiplier to damage of the samurai armor or the 0.8 to dex from mercenary plate is the better choice? I guess I could try beating up the broken skeletons I keep in cages an look what numbers float up. Also I guess it's samurai legplates for everyone who is not going to fight with fists or have to sneak?

Heavier armor lets you take more of a beating and fight longer, but the most important thing is the cut defense. Heavy armor generally has better cut defense than others - efficiency doesn't actually matter that much unless you're fighting something that might eat you. If you like to fight with higher chance of death, then anything that keeps you from bleeding is a great investment, even if it hobbles the character in other ways.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I don't know why the vanilla mercenaries continue on, charging only a couple thousand Cats, just to frequently get destroyed by whatever they run into.

"Ah drat, half your squad lost arms and limbs. Whelp, here's 3000 cats, thanks bunch."

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
ctrl-shift-f11 usually fixes that kind of crap but sometimes you just can't fix jank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Agnu can't interact with shopkeepers either but makes up for it with their unique interactions with Beep.