Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Kenshi is maximum jank at all times.

I finally got around to establishing a decent outpost, and I gotta say, I don't like it. It really feels like this part of the game is not very fleshed out, or at least not nearly as much as it needs to be. The 3-4 recurring events are tedious distractions at best (especially the Black Dragon Ninja one which was just maddening for me because the faction wasn't hostile so they refused to aggro on me until I attacked them one by one while they ran in and stole all my food), and everything feels even more micromanage-y than before. When I was just running a swordsmith business out of the Hub, I could just leave everyone on autopilot save for the occasional starving bandit fight and shuttle one merchant character back and forth between the Hub and Squin to sell all my goods and buy stuff I needed (like strawflour for bread). So I set up and slowly built out an outpost on the hills east of the Hub.

The only reason I finally moved out was so that I could start growing hemp and making fabric so I could make higher-quality swords. I still have not done that because hemp takes a long-rear end time to grow and I've been using all the fabric for beds and whatnot, so I just set up the level 1 smiths to churn out swords for food money. It quickly became obvious that enough people to run a smithy in an established city is not enough people to run an entire town, so I recruited up a bunch of folks and have been trying to train them to some degree of competence. However, this is incredibly time-consuming and micromanaging-heavy because aside from having them train melee attack up to 15 on dummies, everything else has to be done manually.

I did set up a training arena and filled a bunch of cages with bandits and dust bosses (from the endless suicidal raids on my walls), but I have to manually open the gate and let all my guards-in-training in, close it behind them, let out each prisoner one at a time, watch them fight, bandage up themselves and the prisoners, put them away, and move down the line over and over, issuing all the commands manually, and also I have to remember to feed them all manually (to an extent, since I don't really care if they starve as long as they're conscious). And the pathfinding, oh my God the pathfinding! In the Hub I had no issue sending my merchant unsupervised to Squin and back, but here he gets hopelessly tangled up on the environment and it takes days for him to wander his way to Squin. I eventually gave up and just started using the Waystation nearby for the most part, but when I want to send him somewhere else that's one more thing I have to manually supervise since the dumb bastard can't figure out the hiking trails when he's offscreen.

I haven't seen a single piece of engineering research all game (and I'm 104 days in) despite finding 4 Ancient Science Books so I haven't been able to advance those tech trees at all. It feels like horrifically slow grinding for the most part, though I am proud of what I've made so far. It just seems nigh on impossible to turn an outpost into a well-oiled machine that I only need to check on occasionally, and the options for actually guarding said outpost are laughably sparse and basically amount to "train up soldiers like you would if you were wandering the map adventuring." And there's no alerts for hardly anything, of course, because this is Kenshi, so I frequently don't even notice that my gates are being broken down until the attackers are rushing in. I'd love to post guards at them, but I'm still trying to get them trained up!

Honestly, it feels at times like the game is punishing me for not sending all my guys to get their limbs gnawed off by fogmen and then stealing masterwork limb replacements from Mongrel to turn them into superhuman powerhouses. It's clear that murder-burglar-hoboing adventuring around the map with small-to-medium-sized squads is the intended way to play, and the outpost building and crafting systems are somewhat of an afterthought. But Kenshi has so much promise it's hard not to dream big, and it sucks to smash into the ceiling of what's possible in the game whenever you do.

Anyway thanks for reading my ventpost, or skipping to the last sentence, that's cool too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

In lighter news, I finally set up some turrets and started making my katanas with fabrics, so I made short work of the next Black Dragon raid that showed up. And they actually attacked me this time!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I've managed to overcome the stumbling blocks and am enjoying running my outpost now. Downloading a mod that adds patrol routes/guard posts was probably crucial to that, but I've also made a trip up to World's End and gotten to tech level 4 so my iron plate manufacturing is automated. I also finally got enough people to separate them into exploration crew/full-time civilians/full-time guards, so stuff's getting done a lot faster and having full-time farmers is great. And since fabric is getting made again, I'm back to pumping out swords and have lots of money again. I'm up to 26/30 people now with like 5 bonedogs (mostly puppies) and a town guard 9 strong (4 turret gunners, 5 Shek gate guards), so I'll probably download the mod that raises the limit to 256 since I have no intention of using very large squads so I doubt it'll be game-breaking (not that Kenshi isn't made to be broken), and my computer is handling it fine so far.

The Black Dragon Genin make great sparring partners. My recruits feel like hot poo poo until they go 1v1 with a naked Genin armed with a rusty wakizashi. But they learn a lot from getting their rear end beat, as is the Kenshi way. And it's really enjoyable to see the other 8 people running laps around the arena in the background while they're fighting.

I've found that ration packs are actually amazing for the cost and am making a habit of buying them and giving them to prisoners I want to keep around so I don't have to pay much attention to their hunger.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

me running thru the border zone when my portrait flashes red

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sing Along posted:

by giving the Model 30 a bottom tier staff I can just have it harmlessly beat the snot out of my guys one at a time and it doesn't even try to run away anymore. maybe it finds it cathartic

edit: nope we had a containment breach and it almost made it out the main gate. the thing just vanished and then appeared there fighting my guards

If a hostile NPC you beat up has no path out of the settlement, they'll just stand around peacefully until a route opens for them to retreat.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Kenshi: Especially buggy and contains its own random assortment of inexplicable glitches

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Robo Reagan posted:

going from badass raider warlord to warrior king who spends all his time micro managing corpse disposal sounds incredibly realistic

Depressingly so, even

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

*in early access

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Kenshi: Protected from All Enemies by the Idea of a House

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Now that's the macro game we were all hoping for

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

litany of gulps posted:

That's an important Kenshi moment, when the game reminds you that just because you have some walls and poo poo, you still suck. This is the time to make the tough decisions. Do you have a knock down drag out fight with a million ninjas and get your rear end kicked while they steal your meatwrap stockpile anyway, or do you just go buy a house in a city like a civilized person?

It's actually a super easy fight because the ninjas do not aggro on you, so you have to knock them down one by one anyway. In addition to being super easy it's also loving annoying and I modded it post haste to be more of a normal battle.

Also

Dalaram posted:

When ever in Kenshi is the answer NOT get your rear end kicked? Remember the ABC’s

Always
Be
Crawling to a bed to recover after your last asskicking

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Lone Badger posted:

It helps if you don't look at them until they arrive.

Unfortunately this significantly degrades the pathfinding

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Kenshi but Valheim would probably be a very fun game.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The only mods I picked up for Kenshi were indoors construction so I could build a smithy in the Hub, and a patrol routes mod so I could make my guys run laps. Kenshi is pretty fun without too many mods aside from quality of life stuff to enable the way you want to play

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yeah it just takes forever to get crops going in a city because hydroponics is so far down the research tree. So you're making grocery trips for ages before you're really self sufficient.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Everyone knows the toughest badasses have undergone countless unspeakable traumas. This makes you strong and cool, and not an unreliable, nervous wreck of a person with severe paranoia and trust issues.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

KirbyKhan posted:

Rebuild Hub to it's former glory

sadly only really possible with mods

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Just because you have 50 million dollars doesn't mean you should go out and blow it all immediately.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Plot hole. He only has one ankle for the slaver to clamp manacles on, unless he retrieved it from the bonedog.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sounds extremely liberal

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I choose death

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Average Bear posted:

the crossover between Deus Cult white nationalists, Kenshi Holy Nation Enjoyers, Warhammer Empire Fans, and people who bought Pokemon White

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

punk rebel ecks posted:

What do you all think of Skeletons.

Do you see them as equal to the other races, or are they nothing but "robots"/computers?

Don't give up, Skeleton!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Part of the fun for me in games like this is figuring out what the optimal path is to get fully optimized characters with the minimum time invested. Once I figure it out though I don't always actually execute. it's the puzzle that's interesting not so much actually implementing the solution.

There were some other issues though also. I ended up finishing the Crab Tournament in between Kong Sparring matches and that felt enough like "winning" that it kinda gave me a good stopping point.

The next step would've been like trying to fight the big faction leaders and that's what the kong sparring was in theory training for -- there's nothing else that maxing out skills is really needed for -- but that would've broken the world state because it would've pissed off those factions, and I always hate taking those kinds of irrevocable steps.

this is a very Games-brained way to play Kenshi. I'm guessing you also save all your consumables for the final boss and then don't use them

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Kenshi:

The Lone Badger posted:

i actually love being body slammed by one dozen perfect wrestlers

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Defenistrator posted:

I'm super confused on imprisonment and abduction. Is there anyone that pays ransoms for people you kidnap? Is there anything else besides locking someone in a cage you can do with people you kidnap?

Forgot what thread I clicked on for a moment

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

BadLlama posted:

I've seen this game in the steam store for years and always passed on it because the screenshots made it look like dogshit.

I finally bought it a few days ago and have been playing it when I can and holy poo poo, it is the jank of all jank and doesn't look that good but it is amazing and fun as hell, I've been a moron for years.

Many a time have morons robbed themselves of amazing games because they judged them by their looks. Glad you finally saw the light!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Azhais posted:

But there are 29 meitou weapons

Ugh, that's what happens with meitou, you give it some attention and they start popping out of the woodwork :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Flesh Forge posted:

They made a bunch of money off of the sales of Kenshi so now it doesn't have to just be literally 1 guy doing the hermit lifestyle thing, they can throw more labor at it. The main reason Kenshi took 12 years to make was because Chris Hunt literally did almost all the development work himself while working as a part time security guard and eating dirt.

counterpoint: sit on your millions of dollars and while away your hours on your passion project having won capitalism, never needing to work again, instead of blowing it all on scaling your operation and taking on risk