Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Yeah porting the same assets and animations into a different engine isn't going to make the existing game play any different :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

"no raids" or "no animals" are both kind of terrible features in a settlement location imo. Research hydroponics and settle in Stobe's Gamble.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Or give them good poo poo and eventually everyone becomes a badass chop master

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

3 squads of 10 badasses, 2 of them equipped with crossbows

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I mean 10 melees 20 shooters, and yeah it's pretty funny. Having one or two guys with bows you think "gosh these are rear end" and never use them again, having 20 of them ... changes that a bit :twisted:
e: don't even bother with the lovely bows for training, might as well go straight to the good stuff

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

if you have performance problems, because the engine is kind of not great and the content itself is terribly janky, there are some mods that make that better:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1680569822 "No Clutter" - this strips out a lot of extraneous (often non visible) clutter geometry, this was by far the biggest help for me. It takes away from the overall ruined aesthetic but on the other hand a lot of the stuff in question is just brown visual gibberish anyway. I was able to turn on shadows after installing this mod, and it made all the cities render smoothly. This was the last mod I installed because I really didn't want to give up all the clutter but once I did, I kind of wish I'd done this first because I didn't miss the stuff once it was gone.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1185078114 "Removed Weather Effects" - this helped some, not nearly as much as No Clutter though

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1630968750 "Reduce Stones and Some Other Foliage" - this is basically a much less thorough version of No Clutter

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1649794243 "Compressed Textures Project" - a lot of the vanilla textures are 4k x 4k which is kind of bananas, this mod replaces them with half rez versions. This helps load times quite a lot. you can see a difference but ehhh :shrug:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Kenshi base management is ruined by the too-primitive worker behavior, I really dislike having to constantly rebuild everybody's assignment list tied to specific constructions. Really needs generic "you're a farmer, work on every farm plot" etc roles. Other games do that so much better.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

a pretty great kenshi "movie" narrated by Nurse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u6snmQNTRQ

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

also for the convenience of having a bunch of free beds in a large selection of towns, and the face/hair/renamer changer guy.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

if you're solo, I'm pretty sure attack slots is limited to 1 for melee so 1 is the same as 50 - i.e. the solo player has a big advantage. it's when you have a bunch of melee try to engage a bunch of beak things that you have a bad time, due to the ridiculous splat radius.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

another alternative to the peeler machine or the fogmen posts is to just, y'know, let stuff eat you. rush in with another character to rescue them when the desired de-limbing is complete, or if it looks like it's getting out of control.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

it really is unique, I wish more games would try something like this rather than OOPS YOU DIED RELOAD Y/N

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

and remember, every start is the slave start if you want it to be

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

it is so satisfying when you finally are ready to break every single slave out together :unsmigghh:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm sure nobody minds about mod info being posted

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

you don't need any tech research to repair a purchased house, but there are ruined houses in a lot of areas that can't be repaired, the only ones that you can repair are the ones you have bought.
e: if you're in the Hub I don't know what would be the problem, I'm pretty sure all the houses in the Hub are eligible and can be rebuilt. Restart/Reload the game maybe?

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 11, 2021

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

do you have some mod installed that alters the Hub?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

iirc if you have that problem you also have to import to get rid of the trashed objects?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah and just having them set for the engineering job either, that's correct.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

If no one is alive, then there can be no xenophobia or slavery

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That is some classy merch :kimchi:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Get a very high skilled sneaker and steal beak thing eggs at night, they sell for 6250 cats each

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Where can I buy 1) a roomy building, near 2) plentiful leather and 3) a shop that sells research books ?

THere's the grey desert waystation but leather doesn't spawn much there. Any other good spots?

This mod fills a small hole in the world lore and adds a ranch settlement and a few hunter/trader camps near the Shek capitol (what are all those beefy sheks eating? it's beef!) that sell skins - you can turn these into leather with a little armor crafting labor that can be done in town. It's a good way to train novice armor crafters because the output doesn't have quality, it just takes time.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1480069836

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I mean if you're willing to do that kind of obviously exploitive poo poo just use a mod, nobody's going to make fun of you.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

silentsnack posted:

Yeah, maybe I shouldn't have left it up to the reader to infer that post was meant to illustrate why it would be pointless to avoid mods due to concerns about whether a quality-of-life mod breaks game balance: the game is already such an unbalanced wonky mess that even when trying to stay within the rules in a 100% vanilla playthrough you might find yourself accidentally using exploits if you encounter an unexpected quirky game mechanic and don't immediately stop to investigate.

I mean whatever's fun, just there's a genre of game commentary that is all about carefully performing these convoluted exploit procedures and making GBS threads on mods that accomplish the same effect without the rigmarole, and there's an audience for it too :shrug:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Both Catun and Mourn are always getting plowed by Beak Things actually. Mourn's guards tend to get wiped out pretty quick, there's a mod that makes the town a little more robust but they still get owned eventually. Mourn gets constant waves of Beak Things, giant bone wolves and skin spiders, it's a really fun town to try to make a base in. poo poo tons of iron to mine too.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1586835104

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

ok how do I

1) have bolts i craft get automatically put in a boltbox for storage, while also

2) allowing some characters to still carry bolts for their bows

it's a massive nuisance tbh but you turn off 'dump goods' or whatever for your fighters and set the crafter(s) to have a job to haul to a bolt box. Managing a roaming squad is made easier by the fact that you don't actually have to stick food on each unit, you can have tons of food on a pack animal and they will just grab a bite from the animal's inventory when they get hungry. You do have to manually dump stacks of bolts and first aid stuff into each squaddie from time to time though.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

nope

there's a mod someone made that lets you put a dumpster down and when set as a job will make whoever run around and loot animals though. I'll see if I can find it.

here it is https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2447803600&searchtext=animal+dumpster

"forage animals" will loot meat and leather etc and is vanilla behavior iirc but it won't loot humanoids.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It . . . din't seem to be working right. Like they were grabbing some of the leather / meat but not all and some of it was just lying there.

they need a place to dump everything to, also; and the "haul to" job linked to a container works for that, but only for a specific container. it would be nice if more games would just use Fallout 4 style "everything goes into a single giant shared container behind the scenes" method because fuuuuuuuuuuuck micro managing specific people dumping to specific containers etc. sucks.

Babe Magnet posted:

I'm not claiming he's some kind of morally bad person or anything but this reminds of a dude in the modding channels who's extremely prolific, has done a bunch of research into how various game mechanics work, and is a complete dickhead if your mod even slightly deviates from his idea of what's proper game balance. He went on a dumb rear end rant about the No Cut Efficiency mod suite, calling the author an idiot and a liar and everyone who subscribed to the mod sheep lol. Just refusing to even engage with the idea that it may be worth it to some people to make the game "easier" in exchange for fixing (or bypassing, at least) a strange and poorly implemented armor mechanic

these kinds of gimmick youtuber/streamers suck rear end and no one should waste their time watching them, make them get a real job.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Can't imagine Ambiguous Amphibian ranting about anything, he's much too smooth and mellow and besides he has a highly successful schtick already

Tabletops posted:

Are we not allowed to say the name of influencers

Absolutely name and shame

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

Unironically AA is the best but it requires some cult sublimation sometimes.

If someone is not able to appreciate AA's incredibly polished Youtube content I don't even know what to say, every aspect of his work is absolutely top notch technically. Great voice, great audio, great editing, really unique content that doesn't lean on usual Youtube tropes and memes. He's the best kind of artist and creator that Youtube has to offer, just aces in every category :swoon:

e: he manages to make Project Zomboid look fun and exciting

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 14, 2021

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Show her something earlier in his Kenshi vids and she might actually be interested enough to watch more

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

On my way back to Los Angeles. I stopped by this high desert shrine on exit 221 on the I15. I'm outside of the socal are so I have to type the uppercase i.

There's such incredible Kenshi energy in the Mojave. Models the feel better than FALLOUT NV. The wind really whips like that soundtrack.

it's really a unique and very cool aesthetic, and so much of it is still very raw Chris Hunt's work.

timn posted:

For Kenshi in particular I've been pretty happy with Hive/Cannibals/Shrieking Bandits Expanded and either Living World or Reactive World depending on personal taste. This seems to do a good job filling out the game in the areas it needs the most without adding too much cruft.

can vouch for these, they're very well-made and not OP or out of touch with the rest of the setting.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

pretty sure you use dodge, yes.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I thought the question was for incoming attacks, i.e. you are wielding a crossbow and get attacked - you use dodge, pretty sure.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

NB: I'm pretty sure Beak Things or Blood Spiders also work just as well, as does the Peeler Machine; the thing is when a character loses a limb, they learn a huge amount of toughness, regardless of how it was removed. Fogmen posts are just a nicely controllable (well, usually) way to do this.

also, Beak Things make great sparring partners imo and they drop tons of valuable resources to boot

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Losing the limbs is precisely what gives you large chunks of toughness :shrug:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It happens to me a lot that whatever script needs to be run upon freeing slaves doesn't run correctly, i.e. you lead them a good distance away and they just keep following you without talking, but if I save and reload it seems to kick it started.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It breaks a lot in my experience, and they just follow you without ever doing their bit of dialogue and deciding to join or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Abolish slavery by crushing all the slave traders into a fine paste