Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Anyone done any lets plays of this?

I 100% do not have time to grind through a game like this, but i'll gladly read about it on slow work days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Ended up buying this. First game settled in the desert, hired 3 different mercenary bands once I realised they wouldn't walk back to town after, so i had about 14 strong motherfuckers just chilling. Always kept one of them actually hired so they'd help out when I was attacked, but the majority of them just walked around and killed all the spiders/bonedogs that came close. Got real lucky when a Caravan got 90% wiped out by a bonedog nest near me, so I got a ton of free backpacks, weapons and meat. Something like 150 meat combined.

Decided it was worth starting again when I realised I was playing town simulator rather than exploring. Currently my new game is just mining in the hub and researching a bunch of poo poo so I can make money and train up my guys not to be complete pushovers, but i'm thinking of grabbing 6/7 humans and going from town to town, fighting what I see.

Already realised the best way to travel early on is to tag along with a caravan. If they run into bandits and win, awesome, you get a bunch of weapons to sell in the next town. If they lose, you can just gently caress off, sneak back and grab a backpack+anything valuable, then get over to the next town.

E: Also stealing is OP i guess?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
poo poo i'm aiming to build out in the swamp because I assume all the spiders will get everyone else to gently caress off once I get my walls up.

I've got an entirely human crew without any limb replacements so far, so I figure what i'll do is hire a bunch of mercs and make my way out to the swamp (i've made about 60k so far) and let them kill everything while i build, I just need to find a decent place. I don't mind having to do runs to towns for building supplies, mostly because I currently have a tiny outpost that's been stockpiling it, i've got like 3 garru's worth and I can always go stock up on some more.

How do multiple outposts work in relation to hiring mercs? There only seems to be two options, so I don't know how i'd ask them to defend my second outpost rather than my first, unless that option appears when you have two.

Also I defeated my first bandit raid by selecting "stab him in the face" when the dust boss tried talking to me. Whole raid ran off and didn't come back for a week or two, which was more than enough time for me to get up walls and some help.

E: Also yes, the emergent gameplay is insane. I like how occasionally i'll come across dudes with bounties that I can take down (my character has a high assassin skill from starting every fight with a *thunk*) and it'll entirely change my plans.

Or how I was starving so I broke into a holy nation bakery and managed to loot a weeks worth of food.

Even just following caravans from town to town for safety if you're alone and underskilled is pretty legit because you can loot anything they kill.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Aug 6, 2018

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Carcer posted:

How will this work out if I've got a skeleton, shek and hiver on the crew? I don't want them to get killed by the roving murder squads the holy assholes send out every now and then for the crime of existing.

That's holy nation territory, the skeleton is a no go, they'll straight up attack if they see them. If you have a male greenlander, you can convince the guards that the hiver and the shek (i don't actually know if shek are a problem) are your slaves.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Not really, but honestly i've found that slaughtering one herd will keep going going for a long rear end time.

I took down 5 garru and got enough meat to fill up 2 backpacks.

e: Also i'm pretty sure they eat sever'd limbs if you kill someone hard enough.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Depends on how many their are and how many you have.

Bonedogs and garru loving hurt, but goats aren't so bad and if you have enough people you can kill 2 or 3 before they take you all down. Goats won't actually kill you, so if you leave a guy further away he can heal you all up after you've taken out some goats and the rest have left.

If you knock down an animal and loot it, it immediately dies. So when one goes down take one meat out of its inventory to ensure it stays down.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
You know, I never really thought about it but you're right, garru shouldn't require any meat at all, but they do. Wheatgrass would make more sense.

Bonedogs eat foul meat as well, so you can always load someone up with that. Big bonus for it not getting cooked if you have anyone set to auto cook meat.

I'm a bit disappointed that their doesn't seem to be a way to send mercs to defend the outpost of your choosing if you have multiple, so tonight before I leave i'm going to be reimporting the game and leaving the buildings option ticked off.

I assume if I chuck everything I own on my characters I should be able to keep it all right?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I was going to move my base last night but i've been getting attacked so often i've decided to just keep it and continue churning out research and food, mainly because I want to train up more before going to the swamps. My guys are levelling up pretty well, the weapons from the guys are selling well enough, etc.

Part of my training involves putting prisoners in cages, healing them up and letting them go one at a time, so my turret gunners at the base have something to shoot at when they run away.

Starving bandit fights are fantastic. Big groups of 30 are heading at me, before i'd run away from five of them, now i look at 30 and go "alright, cool, bring out the guys with the big swords".

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, I turned down the hunger by like, half. Wish i'd done the same for research. Hunger is insane in this game, pretty sure the only real way to survive on a pure non edited run is to basically always be stealing whatever people leave out until you're good enough to steal from chests.

(if you don't want to mine, that is).

I've been watching someone else play and didn't realise that a martial artist learns a bunch of sick kicks and punches so now I want to teach my character the way of the fist. Gonna make a small hut, strip down a fairly tough enemy (band of bones are sure to attack me at some point again), then engage them in a fist fight until I learn how to not be terrible at it.

I'll let the enemy go (run the gauntlet) after, i'm only mostly a monster.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 7, 2018

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

linall posted:

I started training a Beep as a martial artist after one of the fogmen chopped his arm off. I know that from a stats point of thinking I should probably go back to Mongrel and get him a kickass prosthetic, but a one armed martial arts bugman is just so amazingly cool that I don't wanna.

You should get his legs chopped off and give him scout legs.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I just looked up some of the arm stats.

I am very, very willing to put my guys in acid rain until their limbs melt off to put on some of these arms. Considering you heal the vitals first, you can just patch up the chest/head/stomach and let the rest burn off.

I take it back, i'm more than mostly a monster. I'm probably the whole thing.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Fat Samurai posted:

I’m ambivalent about this, and I have 1.000 hours in Crusader Kings.

The weird thing about the peeler mod is that it takes forever and the character is screaming "oh god it hurts please stop" the entire time.

It's pretty :stare: and i'm wondering why the creator made it take so long. I'm definitely over my whole "robo limbs are cool" phase now that i've seen that. I'll just upgrade naturally if it happens.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Ahahahaha I've never built it so I didn't know it was meant to be a torture thing. I guess that makes sense, a ton of the posts about this game seem like they're written by teenagers and they're all about letting the people who annoy them crawl around in the dirt with no legs or tossing their enemies into beak thing nests and selling people into slavery.

Then again, it's the game maker, too: getting eaten alive is like the #1 threat in the game.

I don't really mind the getting eaten alive because when it happens your character is usually unconscious. Its just the five minutes of "oh god stop it hurts" that make me kinda go "whoa dude".

Definitely into giving a holy nation leader a robo leg so he gets attacked by his own troops though, that shits hilarious.

With building a base, it really does depend on where you set up, but holy nation territory is pretty safe so long as you follow their laws (no shek or robots, need a male greenlander with a book called "the holy flame", pray whenever the priest comes by).

Downside is if a guy loses a leg you can't replace it with a prosthetic. One of my games I was settled there and a guy lost a leg and couldn't get anywhere. Instead of letting him go i've just put the wheat/flour/bread machines all next to eachother and he just moves very little.

Kharnifex posted:

This is a great game, it's crazy annoying when you are farming and giant lizards eat everything due to your poor fences

You should get mercs for this. Attack the lizards with one guy and the mercs will step in. They say they have looting rights but you're actually fine to loot them, mercs just want to take gear that's better than theirs (or worse, i've got a mercenary captain who replaced his plate with a rag shirt). The leather and meat you get more than pays for the mercs.

Bonus if you tag the lizard with a turret user so you can train that up too.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

VulgarandStupid posted:

I played this for a bit but it’s really a shame you can’t take over towns.

I think this is a planned feature

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I did not realise this game had a breast slider and i'm kinda disappointed it doesn't have a dong slider.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah i found a real good place to set up on the edge of the swamp. It has armies of starving bandits (i saw 30 of them take down a beak thing before butchering it). It's not to far from the Grayflayer village and i've only seen a couple of blood spiders.

Once I get my Iron refinery and farms up it'll be a good place to train up my guys and i've joined a gang, apparently. The gang seems pretty helpful, costs 2000 cats every other day to stay in it but i'm in the swamps, i'm literally swimming in animal parts. There is a copper and an iron mine inside my walls, so the next step is to just upgrade my walls and finish off my research before I start exploring.

The hungry bandit attacks are absolutely fantastic for training up my new recruits. Zero danger, but they'll get the poo poo kicked out of them so often their toughness is gonna go through the roof. Gonna keep the newbies on guard duty for now.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Mr. Pool posted:

Walked my rear end all the way south to Clownsteady and made a good profit on my drug cargo, also found another one of the free npcs!

Yeah, typically you need to take it to a place where its super illegal to have said drugs. UC cities are good for that. Occasionally the guard will place contraband on you and then ask for a bribe, so i'd be careful around them. the bribe is about 2000.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Shinobi thieves are super good to be friends with. 50% discounted poo poo, free facilities and guards. I pretty much spent my first 10k on making them my friends this time around.

Actually using a trick I figured out to make them haul iron and steel from outside hub into my chests in the hub. Put a storage near the mine and one in my crafting area in the hub. Assign dudes on the jobs to stock both storage bins, with the one in the hub at a higher priority. He will pick up something to bring it over to the local storage, and then once he has it in his inventory he will go "hay I have a job to run up the mountain and put steel in a box don't I" and he will do it.

The thieves also have wandering assassins who will help you out once you're allies with them. Saved my rear end the first time i went to the swamp, bit off a little more than i could chew with the Red Sabres and he ran in, hosed up two of them and patched up my fallen. If he hadn't shown up i wouldn't have had enough dudes up to carry the fallen.

You don't need to use that hub trick btw, just build two storages in a hub building and they'll take it up there if you're mining the copper and iron right outside the gates. Range on them is pretty far.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I just have two Garru. They won't really die to anything ever and soak up tons of damage.

Also yes, beak things are assholes. Luckily i'm set up with turrets on my gates so whenever they get close I peg them with a shitton of mounted crossbow bolts before they get through.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
My early game was just stealing poo poo from shops and joining in on caravans to other towns/helping them fight bandits. I had Hobbs with me from the start (he's free!) and he'd just hang back while I fought, if I got knocked out he'd heal me up and carry me.

If I make it to the waystation by squin I hire some mercs for a day and go gently caress over Tora the Fearless. She's worth 10k and her camp is full of training dummies, so you can train your guys a little better, equip yourself from the armoured guys your mercs just killed. If one of your mercs died even better, free poo poo.

From there you can probably hire a couple more people and start beating on hungry bandit patrols. If you get lucky and buy a bonedog early on you'll definitely win most early fights, so long as its not a pup.

This is just the wanderer start, the starts in the desert, etc have other options. I've got one save going where I follow around UC patrols and bounty hunt. Whoever they fight, I fight. If someone who goes down has a bounty, I take it. If they have no bounty i'll patch a dude up and sell him to a slave shop.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

The Lone Badger posted:

Is it worth being a skeleton as the wanderer, or are the healing costs too nasty at game start?

You can steal repair kits.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I think quest stuff will come as a very last sort of thing. The guy hasn't even finished the map (although what he has made is astounding, i love how different the swamp, border, wetlands, etc all feel).

They could use with some early game guidance and jobs, but the freedom is key. I was talking to a friend and he was on the threat of starvation because he'd gotten his group far to big (20 people or so) without any way to feed them.

He ended up getting his shittier guys knocked out near slavers and those dudes are now all in rebirth, while his smaller group adventures. Its a really clever solution and I love poo poo like that, especially because the game doesn't really go "hey, fuckface, rescue your friends" in the quest log. It's just part of his story.

I assume by the time he actually rescues them they'll be buff as hell.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 20, 2018

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Mr. Pool posted:

when you have a big group of dudes and everyone has very different run speed due to athletics/encumbrance just select everyone and have them follow the slowest npc, boom, orderly caravan

There is a setting on the bottom right that does this for you. It looks like a person walking/running. If you have everyone selected, change it to the picture of two people. That matches everyones speed to the lowest speed member with no loving about.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I generally have Kenshi up while i'm playing DBD with friends. If I go out early I can basebuild or some poo poo.

Currently not keen on having to reimport the game to get all the research done, but apparently that might not be a problem once the map is fully open.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I mean reimporting is currently bugged for a lot of people on the current/experimental build so that doubly might not be a problem. IDK if it is only for some games or more widely experienced, but some people are having imports lead to all their buildings being totally empty.

I'm not on experimental and its been fine for me so far, luckily!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I started my ironman game. I'm the son of a UC captain in this one, so I started with a decent sword and some shoddy armour, the UC like me, the holy nation hates me.

Immediately made my way down to Squin and was set upon by hungry bandits, who were in turn attacked by dust bandits, who were in turn close enough to the Squin guards that they ran through and murdered everyone.

Managed to get myself a couple of junk bows from the dust bandits and some standard grade bandit armour for myself. Sold what we could before the slavers made off with two bandit patrols worth of slaves (dudes made a loving payday, would have followed them around if they weren't headed up to HN territory).

Bought mercs and a trader backpack with the weapons and took them to a couple of bonedog camps. My guys are levelling up their crossbow skills while the mercs take over once the dogs get close. Made a cool 8k from skins. Hired a second group of mercs (first group was starting to look pretty wounded) and took both down to the exile camp where noted Sh(r)ek Tora the fearless was hiding.

Took out a few skin spiders on the way. Hobbs has been knocked out 3 times at this point. I'm still fine, they're not aggroing on me. Hobbs goes down in the fighting again (for fucks sake, least he's getting tougher).

The mercs go in and clear the camp after a pretty huge battle. After the fighting is done I loot the good quality swords and armour, dump a bunch on hobb's unconscious body, give him some martial artist bindings instead of his lovely shirt, heal up Tora so she doesn't die on the way back and then we slowly walk back up to waystation.

Another dog camp is just outside of it, Hobbs goes down again. At this point I can't pick him up and put him inside, Tora is on my shoulders. I leave him to the elements and go back to Squin to turn in my bounty and use my new funds from both the bounty and the weapons to buy a ruined house. I'll rebuild it, this will be where I do my early research and store this quite frankly ridiculous amount of food that i've managed to find (thanks mercs!)

Hobb's wakes up and stumbles into waystation to rest. He buys another trader backpack, he'll stumble back when he feels better.

All in all, a good night and a good start.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Aug 22, 2018

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I've managed to recruit Bard and Ruka on my Ironman game and i've spent my fortune amassed from my bounty hunting/animal slaughter on books and building materials to build the house and get the first level of tech all done. I also managed to buy hemp in Squin and research that, which is weird because i'm pretty sure that's illegal.

Mining in Squin is dangerous. I sent Bard and Ruka outside and every single time i've tried, they've been beset upon by hordes of hungry bandits. Everyone's toughness is going up super quick. The dust bandits dropping like flies to the guards have been a boon too, now my four person group all has standard grade junk-bows and a good supply of toothpicks. Our dex is going up pretty fast now. Hobbs is getting better at martial arts! He now does 7 damage a hit! :toot:

I did reload due to a bug, I got jumped by some hungry bandits and some slave mongers came in once we'd won and patched up. As we started walking away some garru attacked them and it turned me hostile to the slave mongers? (-50 relations immediately) which was weird but whatever.

Next step is to build some beds in my townhouse and figure out what i'm going to do to make money next. For now i'm going to continue trying to mine outside the city while I research, then I suppose its off to ruins or something. I need a Garru.

E: Oh, the house also has a stove, a table, four stools and a food barrel. Ruka is our cook.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Aug 23, 2018

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I think, technically yeah you can through little outposts. You don't want to though, your guy moving it will get jumped and he will die.

I would suggest once you're ready, just move closer to the swamps. Make sure you have enough materials to get walls up immediately. Bases however are not safe early game. You're going to get attacked by bandit groups. They will gently caress you up if you don't have protection (i have mercs early game, they're pretty good, the waystation merc group in squin can handle most of what the game throws at you).

The benefit of mercs is that while they say they'll loot the enemy, i've only seen the captain (who had no armour) loot a cloth rag thing off of a hungry bandit. They pay for themselves if you get attacked.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Aug 23, 2018

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

The Lone Badger posted:

The squin mercs told me to gently caress off for being a Greenlander.

Is that a squin merc or a squin follower? I think the followers do that.

I mean the waystation just slightly south, merc groups don't care what race you are.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I reimport my game in that case if you literally can't reach them. I imagine that level of jank will never truly go away.

Had the same thing happen with the black dragon dudes. Eventually I walked above the cliff, gave everyone a crossbow. Once they were dead I just walked away from the area to unload it and walked back.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Hashish is super profitable if you can sell it in UC cities but its illegal basically everywhere and you can only sell it to shin-obi thieves.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I don't really think they have much left, a corner of the map to fill out and some changing world states.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Mr. Pool posted:

whats the difference between garru, pack beast and wild bull? is garru the best?

I think Pack beasts technically do more damage, but Garru's are faster. I've never used the bull.

CommissarMega posted:

Just got the game and played a bit, got a few questions:

1: How 'prevalent' are bounty hunters? I want to go with the Holy Sword start, but that $20K bounty made me :stare: the first time I started such a game. It seems it might lock me out of a significant portion of the game if I go for that start.

2: What basic building stuff do I need to look out for if I want to start a settlement? Do I need to collect 500 Wood, Stone and Gold or whatever, or is it all just Building Materials? What if I want to craft stuff?

1. Bounty hunters i've only ever encountered in the desert, never seen them anywhere else. This might change.

2. If you want to start a settlement, you basically need building materials and iron plates. I'd probably take 30 building materials and maybe 20 iron plates to start up your first place, start somewhere with Iron/Stone/At least 10% water. More water is better but 10% will do.

For base building, if your base gets attacked or raided you will get a warning beforehand for the big ones. There is no shame in leaving and coming back with a few "friends" you hire from a bar to kick them out.

Babe Magnet posted:

Play Wanderer, they're all variations on it. Just stuff like "slightly better geared wanderer", "wanderer but you start as 5 people with some building supplies", etc.

100% this. Just play wanderer, talk to "hobbs" in the starter town, go along with his crazy poo poo and he'll join you.

The enemies around the border zone won't kill you, they'll just beat you up. If you give both of your guys a medikit, you can quite safely mine the copper and just run back to the bar if someone goes for you. If you get caught and beaten up, this is actually a good thing as it increases your stats. All enemies will do is take your food and copper sells for more than enough to buy more.

I believe the only exception to this in the border zone outside the hub is if slavers are on their way past, if that happens they'll try to enslave you if you're downed but its rare so W/E.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah the helmet will vastly outweigh the bonus of the rags. Just take off the helmet if you want to sneak.

Stealing items that are laying around in shops have a 100% steal chance so do that until you have a decent stealing level. If you get caught stealing you can't ever buy from that shop again (without reimporting) so try not to get caught.

Stealing from containers is decided by how high your sneak skill is and how close a guard or the shopkeeper is to you. A lot of the tower shops have a chest on the top floor that is sometimes unguarded, that's some free gear every time you go into one.

When selling stolen items, selling to the same faction/town won't work, you'll have to go between towns. I stole from the tech hunter guy in Squin once and then a guy in the waystation next to it (also a tech hunter) would have been able to recognise the stuff, but the guy in the bar (not a tech hunter) would happily buy the stuff.

Also if a shop keeper is knocked out/no guards are nearby for whatever reason all your chances to steal go up by 100% for the duration.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The true secret to winning fights is to have more guys until later on

Also use crossbows assholes can't dodge those

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Nobody tries to make you pay taxes in the swamp.

Sovcits getting eaten by blood spiders ftw.

They cease to be an issue once you have walls, luckily. Just gotta get to that point.

Or just hire some mercs for the initial outing.

In fact always hire mercs imo

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

buglord posted:

Do mercs have the intelligence to target skin spiders or other undesirables before they walk past the gate and attack everyone

Mine did before, but they've been... weird in the last build. Outpost they still defend fine, but bodyguards mean that sometimes i have to let the guy they're protecting get attacked before they go for them.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
A big protip is to just turn food to 1.5 in the advanced options so you still have to deal with it, but not at the dumbass rate that they have it set to.

Also don't do the man with a dog start, its a newbie trap. The dog starts out as a pup and can't kill anything until it ages, whereas a fully grown bonedog can gently caress up a group of hungry bandits alone.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Broken Cog posted:

Speaking of animals, is there any way to heal animals faster? Some cannibals broke the legs of my Garr, and it's been limping since.
Doesn't seem you can put them in a bed to help them heal faster, and I didn't find anything like an animal bed.

It's actually a bug, but you can put them in a bed, it just doesn't look like you can put them in, they also need someone to take them out, its not something they can do on their own. I put my dog on the sleeping bed under the stairs and the guy (who was upstairs) literally just dumped the dog on the top of the stairs and watched him roll down it, but the dog was "in bed" according to the game.

You can also splint their injuries.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

buglord posted:

also, read the tool tip and don't set it at 0.25 like I did and then spend days wondering why food goes even faster and then assuming it's all in your head because you set the value lower.

Yeah I set mine to 0.5 and was like, motherfucker.

Dire Lemming posted:

At the beginning of a new game I always go out and kidnap dust bandits to sell their stuff. Sure you have a 0 assassination skill to start but every failure is like 5 levels early on and if you fail or get spotted just try again after they give up the chase. Once you get enough money for a large backpack fill it up with bandit gear, put it in your inventory and carry a bandit till you have 15 strength, now you can carry a body and run at full speed so kidnapping is even easier.

Much more fun than mining and gives you much more valuable skills than labouring.

I'm constantly fighting outside of Squin on my ironman save (playing it safer because of that).

Currently i've got 5 dudes/dudettes with crossbows, a garru and a bonedog (pups).

Current gameplay loop is go out and fight some people for levels (if I don't think I can win I leave the animals and one person at home) and sell their loot, then shove whoever's the most injured in a bed/mine whatevers outside. I've been stockpiling food while i'm at it. I've got a shitton of food in both Squin and the Hub. Gonna buy out the hub at this rate and use it as a research town. Shove a couple small wind generators on the roof of a couple buildings, put batteries in small shacks, etc.

It's slow going but I generally only play this save while i'm doing other poo poo and its way more interesting for me than having 20 dudes and just throwing them at enemies and picking up whoever's left. At some point I need to get my martial artist delimbed and shove punching arms on the guy.

I assume acid rain is the best way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It's more about abusing the healing system. Your healers target the "core" parts first, so they'll heal the head, then the body, then the stomach, then the limbs.

So get it to the point where their limbs are being burned off and just patch the rest, then leave them to rot off.