Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
I managed with some work to get Kenshi Demo running on my old MacBook Pro but it was unplayably unresponsive.

I was running it off of a USB hard drive soooo I assume that probably contributed as well, I don’t think I messed around with the graphics yet either. I could probably fit it on my laptops windows partition and see if that makes it run smoother. I have 8gbs of ram too so uh that might also be an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Clark Nova posted:

An SSD is pretty much mandatory with how much this game loads and unloads zones. The intel video may be the bottleneck on a mac, though. 8GB is fine (for a few hours, until the memory leaks catch you).

Oh I have it installed on an SSD... just attached via usb lol.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
I could probably fit it somehow or see if I can expand my windows partition so I can get it on my macbooks ssd. Given that it was actually stable but just unplayably-slideshow-esqe on the USB at default graphics I might be able to make it actually run if I potato mode it. Something to do on my day off if there isn’t any surf tomorrow(there never is, gently caress the east coast) I guess.

I might be able to finally try out my dream of playing Spartacus in the Holy Nation since I saw a YouTube video of this game.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Are there any more performance improving mods like the compressed textures? My computer ran the demo okay but the full game for some reason is less smooth

Edit: seems like setting the Grass density setting to zero vastly improves the game performance

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jul 17, 2019

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
So “GenMod” causes some Ninja gear to have 0.0 multipliers for some reason. I stopped using it, everything was fine, and it didn’t make much different I could see in any good way so eh.

The loot available in stores is much, much better now too, not everything is empty and engineering stores have actual regular books now instead of only half eaten ones. So genmod seems like a waste of time IMO.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 19, 2019

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
I’m a few hours in on my first real run, been building a research and training base inside The Hub, and it’s turned into having a dedicated re-education stormhouse full of cages on the room where I stash Holy Nation soldiers and citizens, take their weapons, and let them run through a crowd of my robot trainee martial artists in training. They get the poo poo kicked out of them until they’re put in a cage, healed, then released again against more and more heavy weapons until they either die or join me. This game is amazing.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

EmbryoSteve posted:

I have never gotten a holy nation paladin or above, which are the only ones I keep, to join. I give em a go but they always say that I don't get to pick what laws of okran to enforce. So most of them starve and then just before they die are turned into biofuel.

My war with them is slowly progressing. They have sent several raids to die at my gates. The last one had an inquistor leading it which was the highest level leader leading a raid yet. I Have cleared and freed the slaves of the 3 southern holy mines which are closest to my base. I plan to raid / destroy the holy military base aboveish the hub tonight.

My army grows as well. I kidnapped a slave who refused to leave his cage at.the first holy mine I smashed. He now is named Scrub and has found some courage. During my last attack on a holy mine a holy nation caravan arrived and got to join the mine guards in death. Tho I did kidnap 2 guards with high stats and the main trader. I hope they are easier to recruit than the paladins

How did you build up/equip/train an army that could fight straight up against HN armies? I’ve gotta rely on stealth raids and knockouts, so that I outnumber them like 4 to 1 by the time it goes loud. I’ve kinda figured out how and where to recruit a lot of robots and train up a lot of sneaky fast raiders but they can’t fight for poo poo despite running my re-education beatings against disarmed Paladins.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jul 23, 2019

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Cardiovorax posted:

Elite HN troops are pretty heavily armored, so try to aim for something that gives +armor piercing. It really helps because it's a flat boost to base damage that they just can't avoid due all their armor giving a sum-total dodge multiplier of 0.01 or worse.

There's a heavy stake launcher crossbow that is specifically meant for that stuff, try to pick up a few of those. I think it's called the Spring Bat. An AP archery complement to a bunch of heavies really makes those guys melt.

I haven’t played with ranged at all but it would totally fit with my theme of HM insurgents so I’ll give that a go.

I’m realizing also that I only strength trained a small number of my robot troops but they’re armed with captured HN heavy weapons which explains why most of them are useless in combat even though they have okay attack from martial arts training.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Would having them just beat up on unarmed HN prisoners with heavy weapons be decent training? My stealth duo can basically knock out anyone and outrun everything while carrying anyone so getting more “sparring dummies” isn’t an issue. Or should I just fight hungry bandits for a bit or something?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
That would be a great training system, but since we’re the “robot liberation front” I’ll have to rely on beating HN troops and farmers to death instead.

Probably just gonna start fighting starving bandits near the Hub as well too.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Azhais posted:

Kenshi: ALL SHALL FEAR BEEP

In other news my fog island base was actually raided by the HN, I had to micro my five ninjas to stealth ko all of them since my huge influx of ex-slave meat bags and hired robot recruits would loving die in a straight up fight still.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 26, 2019

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Synthbuttrange posted:

Did you build like on the border or deep inside Fog Islands?

On that massive plateau in the north part

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Wouldn’t that create loving crazy floods if there is any orbital eccentricity?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Oh poo poo yeah since for the moon to have an atmosphere it’d have to be huge, which in turn means the planet would have to be some super-earth, which would mean each day/orbit should be way longer than our moons 27 day year.

I’m guessing it was just a meme based on how the graphics work lol

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
I just got a “bench press” mod that lets you made a building to train strength, it’s so much less cheesy feeling.

That being said while I had a blast with this game it just stops running well on my MacBook once I get a base up. I’ll probably pick it up in couple years once I’m living in a place where I can have an actual desktop or upgrade my laptop.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Never not genocide all Holy Nation.

Last time I played I built a bunch of modded execution prisoner poles a few hundred yards off the road and proceeded to murder all Holy Nation caravans and weaker patrols passing through in between raids on settlements and towns with my robot commando squad.

I had a large foglands base that served as my training center and factory but by that point I stopped playing because my dream of creating an insurgent nation was never gonna happen on my computers hardware.

I am on an eternal quest for vengeance after my first recruit in my first game was enslaved and eventually killed for being a bugman who couldn’t resist going for a jog at all times.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
If you use any sort of XP mod and also have a decent volume manufacturing process for raw materials crafting is insanely OP. It’s a really cheap investment even at just x2 and at x5 they’ll be decent by the time they finish one sword and churning out solid gear just a few swords in.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

FrickenMoron posted:

Managed to find another dye option, UC/ Traders Guild Samurai Hivers will dye armors a beige/yellowish color.

I have also captured all northern UC nobles now, their time of judgement is now.

A foodcube as a last meal lol

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Tin Tim posted:

Don't talk to me or my Beep ever again

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Addamere posted:

Lord Cyber Beep requires FEMALE human ladies :roboluv:

Addamere posted:

why would you bamboozle Beep like this, he is a simple skeleton with simple desires

There are only two genders: Skelton and Meat. Cyberbeep is to Skeltons what the the XYY phenotype is to males, fyi.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
I've started playing Kenshi again now that I have a real high end computer, god what a amazing game. I do kinda cheat and use fast leveling mods to reduce grind, but I find the game to be still challenging and fun enough with it on, it makes me not savescum when I lose a particularly valuable crafter or fighter because it's actually possible to train up a replacement without hours of powerleveling.

My current run started solo, after I ran around getting my poo poo kicked in and building up stealth in the hub, I traveled to the UC and built up a drug cartel with the starting funds from fencing HN goods. Recruited about a dozen of aspiring drug dealers in the UC, who all had to flee the city after a very kenshi incident. One of them got enslaved, and then when I broke him out and unlocked his shackles with another character, the rest of my squad that hadn't had much combat experience attacked the slavers and police chasing him, leading to my entire party getting KO'ed and arrested. While some had terrorism charges, 3 or so had minor sentences that they were able to serve without getting enslaved and went back to working the covert hemp farm, while I tried to quickly train them up. I tried to get the rest out one by one, but I accidently had the same thing happen again, this time I was able to get everyone who was free barricaded inside and beat on the town guards and knock a few out. Now all of my guys were basically trapped Eventually, I was able to make a mad dash for it, free the rest who had been sent to the mines, and run to Worlds End, where I recruited 4 new dudes to go back and start getting my income going again.

Now that I've gotten flush with cash from selling hash and bandanas, I've built up a training center in worlds end and now got like my 10 "undercover" in the UC and 20 or so training at world's end, I think I'm almost ready to start bashing cannibals and built up a North Coast base, and I've gotten a ton of research done spending all my drug and bandana money on books. So far small groups have gotten the piss beat out of them by cannibals and needed to be rescued, but I'm getting close. Once I can craft some armor and decent weapons for all my guys I think I'll be able to use something besides overwhelming numbers on the cannibals.

Once I can get a base up I'd like to then go to war with either the UC or the HN. I still have my two longhouse hydroponic hemp farm in Sho-Baittai so while all my characters are mostly freed UC slaves I may instead go fight the HN first and try to wipe them out or at least do some damage and train up before I start raiding the UC.

What sort of weapons and armor would work effectively at fighting both armored and unarmored humans? I'm thinking trying to get a mix of light infantry kitted out like thieves guild members that would be mostly hitting softer targets and one heavy squad with samurai armor and nodachis, maybe a heavy weapon or two, to bail them out.

Oh, and once I get a base together I'll make an expedition to find Beep and create a Cyberbeep supersoldier to bring the HN down.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Yeah I think it’s hard coded that way, your character follows the same rules as literally any other mob. That being said unless you make an effort to keep some enemy alive it won’t really matter unless you get chased across the entire map.

Also early game I started making money by using my bugman for luring out and the selling knocked out city heroes into slavery, which was hilarious.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
What’s a good soft HN or UC target to get my insurgency started that will also pay out okay? Trade caravans?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Oh there’s a bank? I had no idea

Beep’s Eleven it is

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
I just have the prisoner burning pole mod that output pelts which combined with a lot of Cannibals, Holy Nation and UC nerds means I’ll have a good supply of leath... friends. Plenty of friends.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
I kinda binge played kenshi this week and now I've imprisoned Slave master haga and the Phoenix and turned them both into torsos.

I made insane amounts of money from weapon crafting since I got a level 80 smith and could afford like 30 robot recruits to man a bunch of harpoons, so I've devastated the few UC and HN raids.

Unfortunately all my best fighters and ninjas save the one who carted of Phoenix got half killed and the rest arrested in the HN capitol during my raid, so I'm going to have to figure out how to rescue the survivors.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
The first thing I did when I had a squad of competent fighters during my first run was massacre the UC Heroes dudes at their main HQ to the last man.

I used burning prisoner pole mod so it didn’t take days to beat them all into lethal states. It was pretty sweet revenge after I lost almost all my skilled artisans trying to escape from UC territory to Worlds End

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Pre alpha footage had been top down and only shown the building mode so probably similar to one.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Cardiovorax posted:

Remember that you don't play the characters, you play the faction. It's okay for people to get beaten up or even die because you're not in a failure state as long as at least one character survives to recruit new ones.

Most humanoid enemies will not outright kill and one of the best ways to get tougher is to get your rear end beaten repeatedly, so don't reload just because you lost a fight.

Be aware that when you establish an outpost you will start to attract attention nearby patrolling enemy squads that you may not be able to handle yet. Buying property in a city will be a lot safer when you're only just starting out.

Armor can give both benefits and maluses. Don't expect to sneak well or run fast in heavy armor, so if you need to run away from something, get nekkid.

Goats are lethal. Stay away from goats.

Kenshi is a much better game if you only savescum to deal with bugs. The only situation is if you have a very low skill character be the last survivor, get enslaved AND lose a leg at the same time. You can recover from that but it’s very boring and time consuming.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Low effort is to just leave a bunch of people outside the hub and check in on them every once in a while after they get their poo poo pushed in by dust and hungry bandits. After a few rounds they’ll start fighting back semi effectively before being ko’ed and eventually you can run around beating up bandit groups. It’s great since it’s basically the closest you get to safe mode kenshi since slavers are very rare in the hub and almost all the enemies use blunt weapons.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Donkringel posted:

Do you want a 50 hour game? Keep Kenshi vanilla. Do you not have time and want a 25 to 30 hour game? Grab some training mods in the workshop.

Kenshi is really what you want to make of it, so grab the mods/playstyle that makes it better for you. There are definite ways to break this game, it just depends what level of broken you want.

x5 experience makes the early game a lot more tolerable, then I just disable it and re-import it once I have a few characters that can hold their own and I can make a training base to skip the grinding. Leaving it on too long though starts breaking the game since city guards turn into unstoppable beasts while wandering mobs become too much of a non threat since the x5 modifier works for everything.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

buglord posted:

Hi. Doing a new run. About 20 hours in and strong enough to make world changes. What steps should I take to dismantle slavery and xenophobia across the realm?

Genociding the holy nation would probably be a net positive imo

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Clark Nova posted:

I wonder if there are any spots on the map you can only reach by building a wall walkway like that

Further up the coast by the fishing village, a few minutes northwest where the terrain starts getting steep close to the beach I accidentally trapped a guy on a ledge doing that. I had eventually had to spawn everyone somewhere else because I couldn’t recreate the wall I had made

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
I’m playing kenshi again and this time resisting the urge to make a base so I don’t get bored doing management stuff.

I’ve found just city living lets you still make the weapons, money and gear you need with a million times less dealing with management or suicidal AI

I think I’m going to finally do an extermination of the holy nation via martial arts. I want to get a squad of fightsmans that can basically take on an entire city which will take a bit but they are already pretty hefty, they only just barely lose to HN patrols now and they don’t need any weapons to try again at the jail after getting healed up.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 22, 2021

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Actually I know what I’m going to do as soon as I heal up and break out my martial arts squad.

I’m going to find beep, and train him up to be one punch cyberbeep and have him stroll up and one shot the pheonix and tengu

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Beep is now about level 80 martial arts, had brained a pack bull with a single kick and can 1 v 1 literally anything I’ve encountered and punch people’s limbs off with ease.

Soon beeps fist will know all of the faction leaders of kenshi

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Now cyberbeep can solo fog deathyards without breaking a sweat, ive got him around 80 toughness, 60 dex 70 strength and 70 martial arts. One punch beep just exploded a paladins chest Kali-ma style with a single hit.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
I use a similar mod that just adds a shitload more recruitable random characters in bars and packs of recruitable characters wandering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
I built a fort right in the middle of the holy nation valley, beep took about 4 tries but eventually he soloed the inquisitors in stack. After that we carted them off to my fort where beep used them as training dummies until they died. I then used my 30 or so martial artists and purged stack completely save for the odd drifter or shinobi thief, the shek have taken over and resettled the town.

I’ve built a MASSIVE base in the valley, had a long extension so I could get copper in despite being in the middle of the valley which is essentially a giant wall that cut off stack from the rest of the HN territory, forcing all their traffic that was going to stack into an ambush. Before I kill another city I plan to recruit all the slaves from the mines and train them up. I have whole prison station house where I can train up against dozens of captured HN. At this point I’ve had get the martial artists and beep to constantly clean up since their habit of instant killing or de-limbing frees up space for more HN prisoners.

I think I’m going to massacre bad teeth next, save the Phoenix for last.

After that I’ll probably turn to raiding the UC again. Last time was before project beep and my raid on tengu’s vault lead to us being imprisoned inside and having to repeatedly try to fight our way out, taking way too many losses. I do want to destroy another UC slave camp, I haven’t touched the UC since I’ve gone all in on the HN.