Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I am genuinely in love with this game.

I started off with a super small scale mining operation just north of the Hub. That sucked and was untenable on account of bandits, but I used my meager profits to go to Squin and hire more men after I got tired of being driven off. I returned and created a larger scale, equally untenable mining operation. I thought "Kang is a million times stronger than myself and Hobbs, and Ruka is OK, surely they can protect me from bandits." I was mistaken. There's really a shocking number of bandits in this place.

I was once again driven out of my mine, and I used my meager profits to go to Stack and hire more men. I suspect you know where this is going. I returned and created an actually pretty nice mining compound. This was good while it was good, then it wasn't. I attracted the attention of the Holy Nation, which was fine. I also attracted the attention of the Band of Bones, which was less fine. A knock-down-drag-out (literally) fight that lasted probably a good two hours of real time ensued. I won, but it wasn't pretty. My miners started more and more to resemble Dust Bandits. When the Black Dragon Ninjas decided to visit, I decided that the mine wasn't worth it.

I stripped the camp of resources just prior to their arrival, and we evacuated with everything of value. A dozen of my worn out miners made the relatively uneventful trek to Squin, and we set up a safe house. Beds, food. No fear. The Shek were rude, but there was no worry of a bandit attack with the Hundred Guardians at the gates. It was liberating, in a way. We had money, too. Nothing crazy, but we weren't scraping by.

We started hunting bandits. Wiping out the local Dust Bandit camps and selling the excess gear. The quality of our weapons and armor slowly improved as we stripped the Dust Bosses of their slightly better stuff. Soon there were two dozen of us. When I turned in the Dust King to the authorities in Squin, I decided that it might be worth revisiting the old mine.

It was abandoned, and it was largely untouched. The walls and gates were damaged, but there was really nothing worth stealing. With the increased manpower and resources, everything advanced quickly. Research, income, resources, defenses. I had nothing worth studying because I didn't have the ancient science or engineering. I had money, but there was nothing worth purchasing in the nearby towns. The resources flowed in, and I had multiple full storage containers for everything I could produce. I could not make food, but it was easily purchased. 50 thousand cats became 100 thousand. A Black Dragon raid was defeated in a hail of crossbow bolts and a tense battle inside of a bughouse. Nothing like the narrow victory over the Band of Bones.

I grew dissatisfied. Why am I harvesting these resources? Who cares? We again stripped the camp of anything valuable. We stashed it in Squin. I had purchased a map from the Tech Hunters that showed an ancient ruin not far to the east. Where else to find ancient science and engineering than a ruin? That was the next step. We stocked up on food, bolts, and sleeping bags. 28 now, we marched east. Nobody stood in our way. Bandit groups fell, crushed by our numbers and strength. We arrived at the edge of a place called the Deadlands. Ruka cursed about Kral's foul tits, and she was right. We couldn't proceed. Most of us, anyway. We had recruited two skeletons in the swamp. We built a camp on the edge of the Deadlands, and the skeletons were sent forth. The location discovered on the map was a warehouse full of angry robots. My skeletons were weak. They moved on. The iron spiders were few and far between. The Black Desert City, though, was actually quite accessible to even weak skeletons. There I found the ancient science and engineering research that I wanted. My skeletons returned, poorer perhaps, but their mission was accomplished. The weapons I saw were beyond what I had ever imagined. I could have purchased some, but I held off. It expanded the scope of my ambitions.

We reoccupied the mine. We made steel and leather. Armor and weapons. Then we abandoned the camp again, setting up in Squin with tremendous resources, smiths producing spectacular goods, squads going off on their various errands around the world. Soon enough, the cycle will repeat. I'll retake my mine when I run low on resources. When I have enough ancient science and engineering to produce something new. Then we'll march off to some far corner of the world when that grows tiresome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Gadzuko posted:

Once I can beat the Band of Bones and the Ninja group I can't remember the name of then I'll start getting a proper base up and running.

The Band of Bones ran me out of my first real base what feels like ages ago. I recently had 35 heavily armed soldiers exploring the edges of the swamp not long ago and I noticed a triggered aggression from a Band of Bones bandit as I trekked south of Squin. I shot them down with crossbows, then noticed a somewhat hidden encampment that included a 10k bounty on the leader of the Band of Bones. I drew them out and shot them down as they emerged. They were weak and pathetic. They didn't seem such when they were raiding my camp, but it was different when I raided their camp. I know where the Black Dragon Genin make their home, too.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Maybe someone here can confirm or deny something that I have had inconclusive evidence about. While searching for some unrelated information, I ran across a thread on the Steam forums in which a poster claimed that store bought weapons had a 10% bonus as compared to crafted weapons of the same grade. Is this true to any degree?

I compared a Mk III katana at a store to one that I had crafted and they were identical. I also compared a Catun 3 foreign sabre at a store versus one that I had crafted, and they had identical cutting damage values, but slightly different blunt damage values (with the store bought being superior). My war party uses a pretty limited selection of weapon types and grades, so I haven't had much of a chance to investigate.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cardiovorax posted:

I found the post I think you were talking about, but I really am not sure where the guy gets his numbers from.

I took a shortcut and simply went though the item list in the game editor and as far as I can tell, there is absolutely no such thing. There is a manufacturer type called "homemade," but it had 1.0 multipliers across the board.

Having the Edgewalkers manufacturer gives a 1.1 bonus to cut damage, though. Similar things apply to some other manufacturers. I believe the confusion may stem from there. It's not that homemade is worse, it's that some of the manufacturers which you can buy from stores are just intrinsically better than baseline.

If this bothers you, it's eminently moddable. Just a change of maybe for or five values or so.

Thank you for the detailed reply!

I suspect it will eventually bother me, although at this point I'm happy to have all of my men with Mk III weapons.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Can you dodge while holding a weapon, or is it only applicable when you are using martial arts?

Edit: Or to be more precise - some of my soldiers have seen very slow increases in their dodge skills, despite not being martial artists. Presumably this is on account of rare dodges during regular combat. I've taken a couple of days to boost the MA skills of some of my squad, and I wonder if this is a worthwhile investment.

Will a fighter with a decent dodge and melee defense skill be significantly more survivable than a fighter with just one or the other?

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 1, 2019

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

kedo posted:

What about raw material processing? I seem to recall I couldn’t place an iron refinery on a building roof in town when I tried.

I own all four longhouses in Squin. I've been able to fit a full barracks, every crafting station, and a modest hydroponics operation (6x hemp stations to produce fabrics, which is in short supply there). Just east of Squin is a spot with 3x iron nodes in close proximity. I have iron plate and steel refineries there, plus a building with wheat hydroponics and a grain silo. You can't place some buildings in town, but you can get damned near everything you need in the safety of the town.

I periodically have to send a squad out to mine or process iron plates and steel bars, but short periods of processing can fuel long periods of production.

Edit: Point is, a Y-House or decent sized building could easily fit all of the stations (aside from certain raw materials processing that can't go in cities) that you need to produce certain elements of any craft. If you aren't producing plate, chain, or robotics, and you don't need beds, you could probably manufacture weapons, crossbows, and leather in one spot.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 6, 2019

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Average Bear posted:

Oh they don't stop coming huh

Is this sarcasm? Do they actually stop coming? I’ve never experimented too much in depth with this - I’ve always stopped when my PC starts to bog down on account of the piles of corpses.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

NeurosisHead posted:

I have no idea how this game flew under my radar for so long, but Steam recommended it to me and looks like exactly the kind of janky poo poo that I love. Any starting out tips while I'm installing?

There is strength in numbers. Learn from the hungry and the dust bandit - if there's more of you, you'll probably win.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I had big plans tonight. I thought that I was going to finish off the Holy Nation. Every base and mine and farm was raided. They really just hold Blister Hill and nothing else, and I had raided that a couple of times to thin the guard herd.

The Holy Nation was just a station house full of high paladins, the Protector of the Flame, and their Phoenix. I outnumbered them three to one, but this was the first fight in a long time that I wasn't able to win through numbers (32 soldiers with 50/60's stats!).

I should've brought my crossbows.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
When I was a nameless turd miner in some nameless shithole desert, my trusty Toothpick gave hungry bandits something to eat. When I built a mining compound and struggled with ninjas and raiders, my Spring Bat put down would-be thieves. As a treasure hunter, my squad with Oldworld bows dismantled security spiders. Problems with some roided out fanatics?

https://imgur.com/OSiZGxa

Well, I suck and don't know how to use images. Anyway, crossbows are the answer!

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 6, 2019

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Jarvisi posted:

How should I set up turrets in my outposts? I'm not sure how their field of fire works

Turrets can rotate 360 degrees, but they won’t fire if their line of sight is blocked.

Your entryways should be set up like a funnel or a hallway, with the gate at the narrow point or at the end of a corridor and turrets lining the inward facing walls.

Enemies typically will not try to break down walls and will walk through kill zones quite happily.

Take a look at the wiki article for “bastion forts” for some inspiration.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

the bitcoin of weed posted:

I think I just need more crossbow guys

More crossbow guys solves all problems except the problem of your crossbow guys shooting your other guys and their fellow crossbow guys full of crossbow bolts

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I started a new game to get that Kenshi feel of being pathetic back.

I did the squad start with a bunch of Hivers. We got dropped at a waystation in the rather dangerous southwestern corner of the map. I did a stealthy odyssey to the Flats Lagoon, bought crossbows using money gleaned from the constant looting of dangerous beasts killed by the town guards, then learned the art of forming a circular firing squad with micro management kiting to kill enemies that are way too strong to even get near.

It was something of a relief to finally journey back to the Hub area. Starving and dust bandits are so much more simple than Gorillo Bandits, Boneyard Wolves, and Beak Things locked in a constant hellwar.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Aren't the skeletons the real source of all of the world's problems? Isn't this true in just about every verifiable sense according to what lore we can discover?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I think a crossbow and a pair of sandals is the best early game investment you can make. A shoddy Mk2 Oldworld bow or Eagle's Cross (if you start in a gnarly area that sells that kind of ordinance) will hit for 60-100 damage, and most things don't wear significant armor.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tabletops posted:

i have about 15 dudes that have ~25-40 attack/defense and decent armor (mostly samurai stuff). Wonder if that's enough...

20ish stats is bandit crap. 40ish is like drunk mercenary range. 60ish is skilled. 80ish is heroic. 90-100 is legendary.

Once you're in the 50's and 60's, you start to feel like you're decently strong. 30-40 is pretty good, but low enough that you can get overwhelmed easily, and low enough that you can't touch actually strong enemies.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tabletops posted:

What weapons are you using there?

I still have katanas (toppers mostly though) on my main guys. Originally to train dex up and they're effective early on.

I should probably switch to something else though. It's just hard cause ill probably get hosed up.

Toppers are actually decent, though. They have a smaller armor penetration penalty than other katanas, no penalty versus robots, and they're pretty long.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

That's true too. Though it touches on another problem:

When there is a game play issue so egregious you have to go out of your way to avoid it, then it is an indicator that it isn't really promoting balanced play. Someone had a similar explanation when I mentioned how broken stealing was. Both stealth and theft let you bypass a lot of content and trivialize a lot of the game. Granted, there's some places it's kind of necessary; breaking into Narkos Trap or the Traders Guild bank does feel like a fun 'heist' mission. But for most of the rest, the suggestion is to simply handicap yourself. There's no middle ground, which is kind of frustrating. People mentioned this was an issue in Skyrim (never played it, but read the funny stories) which tells me it's hard to make Theivery fun without wrecking the economy of the game.

But my idea is that stealth is proximity based, and armor doesn't just penalize it but alters how fast you can move, indoor VS outdoor stealth, biome or weather dependent stealth, etc. So you couldn't just Naruto run past a dozen guards willy nilly, but you could still sneak past patrols if you were careful and observant. Thievery shouldn't be a free for all like it is now,rather make novice thieves really lovely at what they can obtain (like from 1-20 when you try to steal stuff the only thing 'visible' are worthless items like balls of lint or bad poetry). Getting effective at it would mean more of a commitment in time and risk ;it's no longer the be all end all when alternative options might be faster or safer.

On the other hand, why even bother? If you want to abuse a game mechanic to steal a trivial amount of money, go for it? Why not just give ten guys crossbows and go shoot the guards of an ancient lab to death, then loot gear worth at least as much as whatever it is you might painstakingly steal from some dumb merchant? I have two endgame saves with minimal use of stealth mechanics because it just never came up. I didn't have to go out of my way to avoid it. What does it even mean to trivialize the game? What can your dumb sneak thief even do besides steal worthless money?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

BMan posted:

Well, you can KO everybody in a place and strip their weapons...

For what purpose? You won't gain any skill, as you aren't fighting. The money value is probably meaningless.

Edit: I mean, there are lots of seemingly pointless things in this game. But if I make some trash dude fight a captured elite enemy, they rapidly become powerful warriors. If I walk a man around with an inventory full of rocks and a corpse on their shoulder, they gain relevant stats. If I use stealth mechanics to knock out dudes and steal their rusty shitblades, I might net a profit of a few worthless coins. Exploiting stealth mechanics genuinely seems like the biggest and most worthless waste of time in a game filled with time wasters.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 18, 2019

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I just started my third game of this. In the first, I made a giant army and they established large, heavily defended bases and had enormous pitched battles against various factions. My second game was 9 hivers with crossbows wandering around the southern portions of the map. My third game is a single human with a dog, living in the United Cities.

I've found that playing with the camera zoomed in close is a very different experience than playing zoomed out, like a strategy game.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I've always found the smoothest and least grind-y starts to be centered around crossbow use. One guy with a good crossbow can kill just about anything via kiting. If you've got 5-10 guys with lovely crossbows, you can function reasonably well in any early game combat even with garbage quality people. Your guys will also rapidly gain both dexterity and perception, which translates well to using edged weapons and turrets.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Nalesh posted:

Sucks that I didn't know about it when it was on sale, but oh well.
Any tips for starting out? So far the things I've noticed from watching stuff is:
Scavenge the poo poo out of fights early on.
Become a shinobi, if only for the beds and trading.
Losing fights is not only okay, it's expected.

What are some of the must have mods?(Especially if I eventually wanna make my own town) The link to a list in the op is broken.

Potentially an unpopular opinion, but I don't think you need any mods starting off. If you want to build an army, get or make (it's actually incredibly easy to make your own basic mods using the built in tools) a mod to increase the maximum party size.

Compressed textures is good if you aren't running the game off of a supercomputer.

Dog backpacks is good if you have dogs.

There's a mod for renaming animals if you have animals that you want to name.

There are mods to gain access to more types of buildings, although they're mostly weird poo poo that you don't need.

There's a mod that allows you to build copper drills, which is nice because for some reason you can build ore and iron drills by default, but that one you have to pickaxe by hand?

There's a mod that allows you to make paper and craft books, which can be nice if you'd rather do base building instead of raid labs.

If you have some hivers, there's a mod that gives you some armor specific to them.

If you have a master weaponsmith and are annoyed that the purchased weapons are slightly better than your crafted ones, get or make a mod for that.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
You sound like a good person. I hope the Protector of Flame doesn't chop your limbs off some day.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

How did you build up/equip/train an army that could fight straight up against HN armies? I’ve gotta rely on stealth raids and knockouts, so that I outnumber them like 4 to 1 by the time it goes loud. I’ve kinda figured out how and where to recruit a lot of robots and train up a lot of sneaky fast raiders but they can’t fight for poo poo despite running my re-education beatings against disarmed Paladins.

One thing to consider in addition to all of the other advice would be to set up a squad with defensive weapons. A handful of guys in heavy armor with foreign sabres, block mode, and taunt active can absorb a lot of punishment in a melee.

Further, HN armies also typically have 1 stronger leader, a handful of heavy fighters, then a bunch of lesser fighters. Opening the battle by shooting down their leader simplifies things enormously, particularly when you're dealing with inquisitors, who are incredibly dangerous and hard to bring down in melee combat.

In their main areas of control, the HN fields two types of armies - one led by an inquisitor, and one led by a high paladin. The high paladin armies are way, way weaker than the inquisitor armies. If you're going to test the waters and judge your strength against an HN force, make sure you start with the weaker armies.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

TipsyMcStagger posted:

So what's the best light armor for blunt and best for cutting?

Is there really a distinction? For light armor - dustcoat, leather turtleneck, samurai clothpants, drifter's leather boots, an iron hat. It's almost no penalties, full overlapping coverage in many areas, full acid protection.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

dylguy90 posted:

Agreed. Oh and apparently the wierd extra "cut effectiveness" stat doesn't work correctly in that it determines some % of the cut damage gets instantly converted to blunt (60% effectiveness = 40% blunt damage instantly with an additional % of cut damage passing through to the next layer). Which is cool in theory but apparently leads to situations where crappy outer armor can cause so much instant blunt damage that taking it off and letting your mail initiate the damage calculation actually results in lower damage (or wearing WORSE outer armor). I don't really understand it myself but there's a mod that supposedly addresses it with sub-mods for a bunch of other armor set mods. Fun.

The mod is called No Cut Efficiency and just makes the amount of protection you get from armor a lot more transparent. It also results in a more consistent amount of damage being taken and dealt against armored targets. I recommend it!

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Agnostalgia posted:

The blocked cut damage (the 10.8 and 5.5 in your example) doesn't go on to the next armor layer; it's directly applied as blunt damage, unblockable by anything but the damage resistance from your toughness stat. This is why wearing low cut efficiency outer armor on top of stronger inner armor could actually increase the damage you take in some situations.

I could be mistaken about this, but I believe that I read once upon a time that the order that your armor calculations trigger in are based on something like the order that you put them on, rather than what would be most beneficial. So maybe you have extremely powerful armor covering your stomach and some samurai clothpants or something providing minimal additional stomach protection. The game may calculate the armor benefits of the clothpants, which allow a large amount of irresistible blunt damage straight through, prior to taking into account the plate armor coverage you have for the same area.

The No Cut Efficiency mod just sets all armor to have a cut efficiency of 100%, then adjusts the protective stats to maintain armor balance based on how much the cut efficiency was changed. This makes it where it doesn't matter what order the game calculates your armor benefits in, as none of the damage is passed along in the form of unblockable blunt damage.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Incidentally, Beep has a clear questline and character arc.

Beep is trash -> Beep no longer runs away, but kills his enemies -> Beep becomes the most powerful and has beautiful human females -> CyberBeep

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Listen, buddy. You clearly aren't taking his safety into consideration here, or else you're just thinking of demented ways to remove his legs.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Addamere posted:

I took a trip to a Western Hive village to buy him a left arm, and along the way he lost his right leg to gorillos. :(

Beep is a beautiful canvas and on him you can apply all sorts of strength and speed enhancing works of art.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Waystations respawn ancient Science and engineering research. Worlds end robotics shop also does it as well. I've been bouncing around picking them up 2 at a time basically but wondering if there is a better reliable source.

I really don't think this is true without some mod or an import.

Edit: If you don't want to go search labs for your books, just get the mod that lets you craft the ancient books and engineering research. Importing repeatedly to buy from random waystations is feasible, but seems cumbersome and ridiculous.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 3, 2019

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Addamere posted:

Also, please give me some pro tips on base defense design. It seems like a single gate is not sufficient for even starving bandits, which is fine since all my dudes can fight somewhat and are supported by a frontline of skeletons, but if I ever want to move someplace actually dangerous I can't have that. Surely you guys know more about line of sight and other specific to the game mechanics.

Make a section of walls shaped like a V or a U with your gate at the bottom point of the V. Line the walls of the V with turrets, creating a killing ground.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
500 hours later, you'll still be wondering how this janky poo poo grabbed you so hard. If you ever get tired of it, check out Mount and Blade and prepare for the same sort of love story.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I'm thinking of buying this game but am worried that it will just be boring.

Is it very engaging if you do aggressive stuff like rob people or get into fights with samurai thugs?

I don't think anyone has ever described Kenshi as boring. If you try to rob people and fight samurai thugs with no real experience of the game, you're certainly going to have a very brief and exciting time of it.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I finally got around to establishing a decent outpost, and I gotta say, I don't like it. It really feels like this part of the game is not very fleshed out, or at least not nearly as much as it needs to be. The 3-4 recurring events are tedious distractions at best (especially the Black Dragon Ninja one which was just maddening for me because the faction wasn't hostile so they refused to aggro on me until I attacked them one by one while they ran in and stole all my food), and everything feels even more micromanage-y than before. When I was just running a swordsmith business out of the Hub, I could just leave everyone on autopilot save for the occasional starving bandit fight and shuttle one merchant character back and forth between the Hub and Squin to sell all my goods and buy stuff I needed (like strawflour for bread).

I always felt like this, too - outposts were almost more trouble than they were worth. On my last game, I set up an outpost in the Deadlands west of the Black Desert City. It's just SW of that big long ramp that leads up the desert area with all the Holy mines. It has copper, iron, and water access, the iron spiders never patrol there, and there are no raids or attacks. Eventually I was able to automate it to the point where only 2 people could keep the power on, and it basically just made the entire outpost experience a lot less obnoxious.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

scumby posted:

Played this for about 40 minutes, stole a meat wrap and got my rear end beat to death. Slavers didn’t want to take me slave and make me do stuff, so I don’t know what I’m supposed to do to get started in this game.

There's always the party start if you don't want to begin completely worthless.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

The Protagonist posted:

I really wanna know more about whatever my skeletons are talking about. They mention something that I think references the beams coming from space when they get near but it's pretty ambiguous

It seems like the laser beam satellites were probably some kind of solar energy thing gone awry.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I have no real idea what I'm doing but I found out that shooting starving bandits with defense turrets is immensely satisfying. What it's satisfying is when 100 fuckin ninjas show up at your doorstep. I don't like that bit.

That's an important Kenshi moment, when the game reminds you that just because you have some walls and poo poo, you still suck. This is the time to make the tough decisions. Do you have a knock down drag out fight with a million ninjas and get your rear end kicked while they steal your meatwrap stockpile anyway, or do you just go buy a house in a city like a civilized person?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Note to self: Do not open Tower of Spiders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

KirbyKhan posted:

What was in it?

It better be full of treasure, for how much of a pain in the dick that whole fiasco was.

I've got a pretty tough 4 man squad - human martial artist, bonedog elder, Beep, and Burn. My usual strategy for this stuff is to pick and open the door with the stealthed human, arrange the humanoids outside with crossbows, put down security spiders or whatever the gently caress at range as the bonedog pulls then kites/micros as needed.

Turns out that poo poo may work on six security spiders, but not so much on two dozen elder blood spiders. We split and ran a second too late, one of them tagged Burn in the legs and he wasn't able to outpace them. They mobbed him and put him down, bleeding (leaking?) out a short distance from the tower. Most of them stopped to hang out next to his body, but a few chased the rest of my squad.

We all ran headfirst into a Reaver patrol. My dog went down instantly in the melee - bonedogs put out damage about like spiders, but they don't have anything for defense. Beep took a hit in the leg and had to duke it out in the mess, but he actually pulled it off, barely. My human stood on the edge of things and picked off the spiders with her crossbow before they managed to completely slaughter the Reavers.

Then I sent my human, stealthed, to recover Burn's body before he died. That was a success, but I dropped him to try and fix him without checking the surroundings carefully enough - two of the spiders spotted us and chased my human. I had to kite them and kill them with the crossbow, but they were almost as fast as my character, so it was a dicey thing. While this happened, a nearly spent Beep beat down the half dead Reavers that kept getting up.

When it was all done, we started back toward Black Scratch, with Beep's leg being hurt badly enough that he had to be carried. We ran into another Reaver patrol on the way, and Beep's damned leg ended up coming off, so we had to go to the Black Desert City to replace it.

Tomorrow I'm coming back and we're going to shoot down the rest of those spiders. Or get eaten trying, likely as not.