Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Chalks posted:

Are they going to have to write off some of their Bitcoin "investment" due to the recent crash? I know they got to buff some of their figures due to the value increasing last time.

They didn't (or at least are not allowed to) write up the value of they're BTC holdings. They are however obligated to take the write-down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

mystes posted:

Americans aren't going to build real public transit solutions anyway and if Elon wasn't there there would still be bullshit stuff like "bus rapid transit" which (for the purposes of the US) fills the same niche of existing as a concept only to prevent transit from being built before evaporating.

the Oakland BRT actually works surprisingly well (better than MUNI Metro), since they didn't do all the "don't actually have dedicated lanes" and "use regular curbside stops instead of offset dedicated stations" cop-outs that end up making it yet another bus line

it makes sense if you do it properly, doubly so if you already have heavy rail transit (which, granted, 90% of the US does not)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
another leaked :airquote: video of the sybertrukkkk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHT040_Pt3w

lol. lmao.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

seeing it 'naturally' is like seeing a 1995 scifi show prop truck, where it somehow looks worse than when it was zooming across the screen in a single season fox series

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

whys it still a prototype. I thought they were producing it

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Juul-Whip posted:

They were so preoccupied with whether they should, they didn't stop to think if they could.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

every time I see one I can't get over how bad the tesla "tablet stuck to a stalk like a satnav from 2001" looks. just appalling design imho.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
that’s almost the least worst thing about them

anyway i can’t think of a way i would ever buy this over the f150 lightning

which i would buy day 1 if i were wealthy

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

FMguru posted:

another leaked :airquote: video of the sybertrukkkk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHT040_Pt3w

lol. lmao.

at least it has rear view mirrors now

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

PIZZA.BAT posted:

at least it has rear view mirrors now

a number of companies pushing to go without these days but i think in the us there are still laws that regulate having rear and side mirrors in some respects

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

that looks like half the size of elon's reveal.

(this is a good thing tbh)

mystes
May 31, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

that looks like half the size of elon's reveal.

(this is a good thing tbh)
What's the point of the "cybertruck" if it isn't even bigger than their other cars though?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
do you think anyone buying a cyber truck is going to put anything in the bed more than like 3 times max

or any other truck tbh

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Wild EEPROM posted:

do you think anyone buying a cyber truck is going to put anything in the bed more than like 3 times max

or any other truck tbh

costco shopper: "we got such a great deal on this 9 pack of toilets i love this place and cant wait to post on the internet about it. help me load these into the back seat!"
costco shopper spouse: "no..... you can put it in the bed :smuggo: "

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

lol there's no door handles because it's too hard to stamp into the stainless body panels. i can't imagine the windshield mounted rearview mirror being of any use since, between the tailgate and roofline, rear visability is probably on par with a lamborghini countach (i.e. like looking out of a pillbox)

looking forward to some lols when we get the inevitable "my cybrtrk doors are frozen shut and i can't grab anything to pull them open. love the truck though"

e: and lol that giant wiper. it probably leaves about 1/4 of the total windshield area unwiped

Teleposter
Sep 27, 2021

"He loves a visit from the ape."

The_Franz posted:

lol there's no door handles because it's too hard to stamp into the stainless body panels. i can't imagine the windshield mounted rearview mirror being of any use since, between the tailgate and roofline, rear visability is probably on par with a lamborghini countach (i.e. like looking out of a pillbox)

looking forward to some lols when we get the inevitable "my cybrtrk doors are frozen shut and i can't grab anything to pull them open. love the truck though"

e: and lol that giant wiper. it probably leaves about 1/4 of the total windshield area unwiped

"My cyber truck broke down in the middle of the alps. I am unable to get inside due to the lack of door handles. The gentle heat of the truck against my hypothermic body reminds me of being cradled by my mother. I will die out here. Great truck though."

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Wiper so big I thought it was some articulated dealie but jo it just wipes the driver side lol.

Oh no my damp hands are stuck to the frozen stainless steel halp

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Juul-Whip posted:

engineering 101 - if a thing is in 'prototype' stages you don't need to go through all that red tape to make changes (read: verification and validation) to the product, production line, quality testing, materials, or really anything involved in the manufacturing process

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Agile Vector posted:

seeing it 'naturally' is like seeing a 1995 scifi show prop truck, where it somehow looks worse than when it was zooming across the screen in a single season fox series
megaforce came out in 1982 and looks a million times better

love how those flat panels make all the imperfections super obvious. They'll be super prone to dents/warping and look like total poo poo after a day or two's 'trucking'

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

toiletbrush posted:

love how those flat panels make all the imperfections super obvious. They'll be super prone to dents/warping and look like total poo poo after a day or two's 'trucking'

Was just going to say the same thing. Painted panels help hide small dings and chips from road wear, this thing will look awful after a short time.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

The_Franz posted:

I have a feeling leaving 1/4 of the total area unwiped is a common problem among bazingas, so they'll feel right at home.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

toiletbrush posted:

No one who buys a Cybertruk will be 'trucking'

Those dick waivers with F-350's in their suburban driveways do more 'trucking' than the type of person who would buy a Cybertruk.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

TerminalRaptor posted:

Was just going to say the same thing. Painted panels help hide small dings and chips from road wear, this thing will look awful after a short time.

just wait until these things end up somewhere with road salt

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
lol how many people preordered this thing? i've driven some really crap cars, but i bought them for under a grand and none of them looked anywhere near as lovely as this. imagine just proudly driving a $40,000 piece of scrap metal in public

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

TerminalRaptor posted:

also just...curves. it's hard for humans to realize when a curved surface is curved slightly wrong, because all we see is that the reflections are distorted, and that's what we expect so it's fine. with very close examination you might notice problems but at first glance, no. as long as you get the edges right (another area where tesla is outstanding, lol), a curved panel is very forgiving of imperfection.

but a polished flat surface, man. everybody on earth can look at a mirror or a sheet of glass and tell you whether it's flat or not. if any one of those panels gets the slightest bit tweaked, it's going to look like those annoying energy efficient windows that seem to pinch at their corners.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

TerminalRaptor posted:

I have a feeling leaving 1/4 of the total area unwiped is a common problem among bazingas, so they'll feel right at home.
they shoulda just copied Mercedes Benz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdNu113Ep2U

oh wait MB ditched that after a couple of years because it was unnecessarily complicated and prone to breakdown

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Chris Knight posted:

oh wait MB ditched that after a couple of years because it was unnecessarily complicated and prone to breakdown
if you translated "unnecessarily complicated and prone to breakdown" into latin it would make a perfect fancy motto for tesla

tesla motors inc
superflue turpis et prone naufragii

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Cactrot posted:

They were so preoccupied with whether they should, they didn't stop to think if they could.

:hmmyes:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Iron Crowned posted:

No one who buys a Cybertruk will be 'trucking'

Those dick waivers with F-350's in their suburban driveways do more 'trucking' than the type of person who would buy a Cybertruk.
can’t tell if “dick waivers” is a typo but lol regardless

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
i wanna see them realize that stainless doesn't mean "will not stain, ever" but rather "it will stain, just less" as in rust

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Obama repealed the Bush era law saying you needed a dick waiver to buy an electric car yes

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

toiletbrush posted:

not just better, those vehicles have been seen and driven safely by a number of people!

and now i wanna watch barry bostwick films :allears:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

TerminalRaptor posted:

i have good news in that we have finally located the one place tesla is well ahead of schedule

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sagebrush posted:

also just...curves.
The driver's panel wasn't reflecting the way the passenger was in that video and it drove me nutty.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

lol @ dick waiver

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

One guess which dick waver launched this.

https://twitter.com/tony873004/status/1484414918715592704

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

TerminalRaptor posted:

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

better than the star link kessler syndrome

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX8I5wiFdLo

11 years back - some stuff they got right, some stuff they didn't :o:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

NFX posted:

better than the star link kessler syndrome

I want it to hit the Apollo landing site so bad.