Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
it's not even like automatic wipers haven't been a thing for awhile. Tesla just picked the dumbest way to implement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
is that seriously how they work because lmfao

i just figured it was a joke because thats so dumb

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yes. they didn't use a bog standard rain sensor because they're ideologically committed to using AP cameras for everything.

it works as well as the rest of AP

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

someone is going to burn to death in one of those things and Tesla is going to get sued for a bazillion dollars, which will be made worse by elon calling everyone involved a paedo

what will be even worse is Tesla will win the lawsuit because billionaires can never get in trouble and it will set a legal precedent that it’s ok to just have passengers in your cars die if you can do it via a feature that impresses bazinga shitlords

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/svnnh_wlch/status/1527374893691482129

it's spicy Tesla season

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

meltdown may getting literal

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Endless Mike posted:

it's not even like automatic [ANYTHING] haven't been a thing for awhile. Tesla just picked the dumbest way to implement

Good examples on many sides

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

someone is going to burn to death in one of those things and Tesla is going to get sued for a bazillion dollars, which will be made worse by elon calling everyone involved a paedo

This has already happened multiple times. Interestingly, it’s always the drivers fault.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
how many teslas have caught on fire this week?

is meltdown May trying to cover a recall or something?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
don't worry, they'll just issue an ota update to address the issue

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I’ve posted this vid before but the model X doors are extremely heavy and it’s incredibly difficult to open them without power assist

https://youtu.be/nHHWv6uMISg

imagine an 8yo trying to get out of those doors

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thats why the SLS has explosive bolts on the gullwing doors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_KtDjN75xw

they are a huge engineering sacrifice for the sake of a vibe, and you have to do the legwork to make sure you get them back on par with a regular door, safety-wise

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
yeah they're something like 80-90 lbs to open unassisted. lots of grown-rear end adults would have trouble with that.

it's been abundantly clear tesla's engineering will lean towards "but it's cool!" 100% of the time even when there's a better, time-tested option for literally anything

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

yeah, you know what other SLS had exploding bolts on the doors???? liberty hell 7

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
every time i think about explosive doors, i think about when i was at the udvar-hazy center and a docent was giving a tour i wandered upon and he was talking about the restoration of a nazi fighter plane and apparently no one on staff could read german, so they didn't realize it still had the cockpit explosives in the plane as they were welding things near them. (they didn't go off and no one was hurt, thankfully)

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

If you told Elon the Nazis used epxlosive bolts he would probably add them immediately and proudly (car price goes up by $8814)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

FCKGW posted:

I’ve posted this vid before but the model X doors are extremely heavy and it’s incredibly difficult to open them without power assist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHHWv6uMISg

imagine an 8yo trying to get out of those doors

each time someone posts something about these doors it gets worse and worse

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Endless Mike posted:

yeah they're something like 80-90 lbs to open unassisted. lots of grown-rear end adults would have trouble with that.

it's been abundantly clear tesla's engineering will lean towards "but it's cool!" 100% of the time even when there's a better, time-tested option for literally anything

Its really weird too because heavy hatch doors are not a new thing, and spring loading the doors to make them easier to open both for the human and the mechanism are practically a standard.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Its really weird too because heavy hatch doors are not a new thing, and spring loading the doors to make them easier to open both for the human and the mechanism are practically a standard.

something about first principles i guess

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Midjack posted:

Yeah. Most doors either have gas pistons to help them open or spring loaded hinges to make them easier to move.

It looks like Tesla opted for neither of those. Imagine if the car rolled over, I doubt they blow off the hinges on rollover like Mercedes did with the SLS

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Midjack posted:

Hardcore Build Quality requires our Tesla drivers to be able to deadlift 120 lbs and bench 200.

Functional cars for people with functional strength.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1528383025318268929

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

starship is weirdly missing from that list

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Chalks posted:

Give it time....it also helps that there's likely a lot more stricter controls around giant, manned rockets versus cars and tunnels.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Fun fact: The models S and Model X back doors, while terribly implemented, at least HAVE a way to manually open them. The Y and 3 do not have any manual way to open the back doors.

Teslas most popular cars, which the most consumers with families and children purchase, where children usually are, has no manual way to open the back doors. All to save a few bucks on a $45,000+ vehicle.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 22, 2022

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

infernal machines posted:

yes. they didn't use a bog standard rain sensor because they're ideologically committed to using AP cameras for everything.

does it trip on in a car wash? i got my car cleaned a few days ago and a tesla was two cars ahead

i didn't see a fire, body panels, or a massive puddle at the end so i assumed it at least left in-tact and buoyant

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Agile Vector posted:

does it trip on in a car wash? i got my car cleaned a few days ago and a tesla was two cars ahead

i didn't see a fire, body panels, or a massive puddle at the end so i assumed it at least left in-tact and buoyant

They have a "Car Wash Mode" that does just that.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

an small lol from a video about why auto designers still use a full-size clay model as part of the creation process

of course Tim doesn't like this at all

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

confirmed teslas aren't cars, thus not subject to nhtsa regulations

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

infernal machines posted:

I don’t think it’s an ideological commitment, I think that’s just the story they tell the rubes to cover up a pure cost cutting measure. Why pay for sensors when you’ve already got a camera that can do the job 1/4th as well and a fanbase that will forgive you anything if you tell them it’s to “train the AI.”

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Agile Vector posted:

confirmed teslas aren't cars, thus not subject to nhtsa regulations
:sureboat:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

FlapYoJacks posted:

Fun fact: The models S and Model X back doors, while terribly implemented, at least HAVE a way to manually open them. The Y and 3 do not have any manual way to open the back doors.

Teslas most popular cars, which the most consumers with families and children purchase, where children usually are, has no manual way to open the back doors. All to save a few bucks on a $45,000+ vehicle.

https://youtu.be/54UsqZGnGGM

Model 3 has a manual release but it requires to disassemble the door panels, same for the Y series.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it is possible, with considerable effort, to tie a 3rd party product into the physical release mechanism on the door, such that it can be manually triggered. that's not quite the same thing as "having a manual release"

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

https://twitter.com/peek_pdx/status/1376032821710520325

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

also his daughters

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Chalks posted:

nah not weird. that list is things that actually exist

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

https://youtu.be/54UsqZGnGGM

Model 3 has a manual release but it requires to disassemble the door panels, same for the Y series.

from the comments:

had to install an emergency latch because i closed my doors too hard. love the car tho

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Jonny 290 posted:

thats why the SLS has explosive bolts on the gullwing doors

neat

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

catching up and someone has probably already pointed this out but this has already happened numerous times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

If I drive a normal car and I am idling next to a tesla and that tesla spontaneously combusts,... like, am I in more danger being next to a tesla than being next to whatever random rear end in a top hat car (bmw)