Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

sigh. okay, explain to me how that basic lesson in being a cheerful and kind person written by a beloved children's author is actually bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Someone on Reddit posted this one from 5 years back

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
he could have spent the rest of his life making cars for rich liberals but now his primary market is crypto bros and sex trickers. because he likes it that way

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

sigh. okay, explain to me how that basic lesson in being a cheerful and kind person written by a beloved children's author is actually bad

idk maybe because it suggests that you should believe that people who seem ugly to you also have a lovely personality?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

4lokos basilisk posted:

idk maybe because it suggests that you should believe that people who seem ugly to you also have a lovely personality?

that is very clearly the exact opposite of the message that is intended. it's saying "even if you are conventionally unattractive, if you are a good person your goodness will shine out and people will find you pleasant and appealing." it is written so that a child can understand.

but sure, read into it what you want. whatever

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 4, 2023

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
for example, the illustration under the text where that is written shows a cartoon of a not conventionally attractive person, who the author is nevertheless indicating looks lovely

it's both literally textual and there's a handy illustration of the point as well

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
"Kind people are always beautiful".

Okay so what you're saying is that being ugly... is bad.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah i think yall are raising more hackles than is warranted at that one and you're also starting to deliberately misinterpret it. chill

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

i'll be the first to say that maybe roald dahl didn't always have good opinions

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

aardvaard posted:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Sagebrush posted:

this is not a basic lesson in being a cheerful and kind person, it is a lesson to judge people's moral character strictly by how they look

it is also a classic use of rhetorical device (amplification) which is technically value-neutral

it is also not by a currently beloved children's author

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Kenny Logins posted:

this is not a basic lesson in being a cheerful and kind person, it is a lesson to judge people's moral character strictly by how they look

it is also a classic use of rhetorical device (amplification) which is technically value-neutral

it is also not by a currently beloved children's author

You would have to be functionally illiterate to come to that conclusion so the most charitable reading I can give this post is that you're just being a dick.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Which as a fellow poster I respect so no offense taken.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
love to willfully misinterpret a literal children's book so i can get mad about something on the internet

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Salt Fish posted:

You would have to be functionally illiterate to come to that conclusion so the most charitable reading I can give this post is that you're just being a dick.

Salt Fish posted:

Which as a fellow poster I respect so no offense taken.
i have no problem with roald dahl's clearly intended takeaway being "he's a dick". no offense taken

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

here's the page immediately before, if it helps:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

whatever you do don’t ask Roald Dahl what category the Jews fall under

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

fwiw i am conflicted as to the book in question but i like to support quigs when quigs has a good point worth examining

i also don't think it's willful misinterpretation to question the apparent appearance-shaming put to paper by a British children's author with a "complicated legacy" to say the least

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

whatever you do don’t ask Roald Dahl what category the Jews fall under

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Even if there were two equally valid interpretations we should give Sagebrush an automatic opt-in to the superior of them because they are a poster of Good Reputation and Standing.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Salt Fish posted:

Even if there were two equally valid interpretations we should give Sagebrush an automatic opt-in to the superior of them because they are a poster of Good Reputation and Standing.
i'll wear "being a dick" but only if it's agreed the "sigh." approach taken by sagebrush is also being a dick. that said any actual issue i may have is with the literary content and not the poster.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

aardvaard posted:

he was monstrous, in the traditional way of his time

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
The message here is "if you are kind, you are much more pleasant to be around" and I don't understand why there's a stupid slap fight starting.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you ever go and just get real loving mad at some poo poo on the internet?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

The message here is "if you are kind, you are much more pleasant to be around" and I don't understand why there's a stupid slap fight starting.
right for the wrong reasons basically yeah

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

telling my kid i won't read him James and the Giant Peach because the long-dead author expressed anti-semitic views. what is anti-semitic, he asks me? oh boy, settle in son, now here's a story an eight year old can sink their teeth into!

Kenny Logins posted:

i also don't think it's willful misinterpretation to question the apparent appearance-shaming put to paper by a British children's author with a "complicated legacy" to say the least

the text literally says that even if you are fat and have a lumpy nose and crooked teeth you are still beautiful as long as you are a good person!!

jesus loving christ!!

Twerk from Home posted:

some motherfuckers are just always trying to ice skate uphill.

Kenny Logins posted:

i'll wear "being a dick" but only if it's agreed the "sigh." approach taken by sagebrush is also being a dick.

no. i don't think anyone here is being a dick. you're being a weenie and i'm being exasperated

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 4, 2023

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Luigi Thirty posted:

whatever you do don’t ask Elon Musk what category the Jews fall under

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i have two personalities. the kindest and handsomest person you’ll ever meet, and an ugly twisted sicko.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

it is true that hot people are the most pure of spirit. thank you Mr dahl

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
i suppose this is all less infuriating than whatever elon was up to today

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Foo Diddley posted:

according to the account that tweets what he likes it’s the usual “the globalists are trying to turn all businesses woke” stuff today

e: and how we must abolish the American Bar Association because they’re going to force all lawyers to advocate for polygamy

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Foo Diddley posted:

Yup https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1665439266170609666

betalarmannen
Jan 13, 2007

Pillbug

Twerk from Home posted:

that would be a fine message, but you have to already have that opinion to read it from that text. otherwise, it ends up emphasizing a classic literary trope that bad people are ugly

betalarmannen
Jan 13, 2007

Pillbug
why am I a pillbug?

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Salt Fish posted:

Okay so what you're saying is that being ugly... is bad.

it's good to be ugly

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

telling my kid i won't read him James and the Giant Peach because the long-dead author expressed anti-semitic views. what is anti-semitic, he asks me? oh boy, settle in son, now here's a story an eight year old can sink their teeth into!
the text literally says that even if you are fat and have a lumpy nose and crooked teeth you are still beautiful as long as you are a good person!!
no. i don't think anyone here is being a dick. you're being a weenie and i'm being exasperated
the james and the giant peach example is not one i would have to personally deal with, but my family is not jewish. my wife and kid are asian so there will likely be something else analogous i have to make this very real and not silly decision on. if you don't see yourself ever having to grapple with anything like this, lucky you i suppose

as far as what the text says, i don't think "all good looking people must always be thinking good thoughts" and "all ugly looking people must always be thinking ugly thoughts" is a very smart thing to teach kids. just one dad's opinion. we don't have to agree here

if you're exasperated, fair, but in fairness, you asked someone to explain why your picture, posted with nothing besides "hate ages you dramatically", is bad in tyool 2023

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

roald dahl died in 1990 which was 10-15 years ago, too me

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

also, at least by what comes up on google image search, he was not a very good looking man. by his logic, his thoughts must be ugly, and can safely be discarded

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Foo Diddley posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Kenny Logins posted:

also, at least by what comes up on google image search, he was not a very good looking man. by his logic, his thoughts must be ugly, and can safely be discarded

Even at age 7, when I read that book, I understood that beauty was not a physical property of the world like a metric or number but that it was a metaphysical combination of deeds, thoughts, and principles. Clearly, and now painfully, that section is saying the same thing in simpler terms. I mean CLEARLY its saying that.