Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

yeah i don't think any dollar store employees in japan have gotten killed for telling a customer to wear a mask

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

evilweasel posted:

there is no way that being crammed into an enclosed compartment with about two hundred people with poor ventilation is not spreading it

one person coughs and dozens of people are in range. if the nyc subway wasn’t a risk the thing wouldn’t be spreading because there’s not a lot of situations that are worse short of actually having sex with someone infected (fortunately a low risk on the subways)

you wear a mask on pubtrans, as long as most other people do too it's not a huge issue

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
face masks seem common enough in japan for people to be exposed to it frequently enough and at a young enough age to imprint it as a fetish, so theres that

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/wangbangpro/status/1267911622493863938?s=20

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That's gotta be installed backwards, right?

How the gently caress. Like it doesn't even look like a normal headrest.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lysidas posted:

face masks seem common enough in japan for people to be exposed to it frequently enough and at a young enough age to imprint it as a fetish, so theres that

i would also be wary of "no identified cases from public transportation exposure" being read as "no cases from public transportation exposure" because without really closely looking at how they're doing contact tracing, it's likely that would cause cases that are just "who the gently caress knows" or to use the official medical term, "community transmission"

also w/r/t masks, the mask is more about protecting everyone from you and its much less effective at protecting you from everyone else, so in nyc it's not good enough you personally are wearing a mask, you need to be trusting everyone else on the train (including people who got off before you got on) were wearing one, including people like two year olds who refuse to wear a mask (its pretty hard to force a two year old to wear a mask given how easily they can take it off)

it is a very big problem with NYC right now because nobody has any good ideas about how to make the subways safe enough but the city doesn't really function without it, unless you have the money to uber everywhere (and its not like that's a good solution even for those people given how bad traffic is in manhattan)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i can't speak to the average nyc transit rider in comparison to a two year old, but in other cities people do manage to mostly wear masks while in environments that don't allow physical distancing, such as buses and streetcars. with enough people wearing masks the risk of transmission drops significantly, especially in conjunction with proper hand washing, etc.

source: me, a torontonian transit user

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

They're perfect for someone with terminal computer guy posture, which is probably the entire market for teslas

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

do the headrests not raise? for that kind of headrest you're supposed to have the back of your head at the bottom of the headrest and the "forward" part goes over your head. it supposedly helps a lot with rear end wrecks.

though on second look maybe they're not that type because it looks like they're just bent forward? either thing they were intending to do they hosed up

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
nobody ever sat in that seat after someone drew it up until they already made a thousand of them and are just pushing through

this is why it’s great that Tesla makes their own seats for some reason

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

infernal machines posted:

i can't speak to the average nyc transit rider in comparison to a two year old, but in other cities people do manage to mostly wear masks while in environments that don't allow physical distancing, such as buses and streetcars. with enough people wearing masks the risk of transmission drops significantly, especially in conjunction with proper hand washing, etc.

source: me, a torontonian transit user

nyc subway cars, when the city is functioning, are packed at rush our. standing-room only, sometimes not everyone at a station is getting onto the car.

you're coming into close personal contact with dozens, likely hundreds, of people. it doesn't take a lot of people not wearing masks, or wearing them poorly, to be in close contact with many non-masked people for an extended period of time (longer than 10+ minutes usually designated as "well you may be hosed" if you were near an infected person). there is simply no way to do it while maintaining reasonable social distancing

it is real bad for the city and i do hope you're right, but if i gotta go into the office i'm waking up an hour early and going to bed an hour late and walking both ways rather than taking the subway for the forseeable future (the much more likely result is i tell anyone suggesting i go into the office to gently caress off and die, of course)

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

either thing they were intending to do they hosed up
this is the unbeatable Tesla standard

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

evilweasel posted:

nyc subway cars, when the city is functioning, are packed at rush our. standing-room only, sometimes not everyone at a station is getting onto the car.

you're coming into close personal contact with dozens, likely hundreds, of people. it doesn't take a lot of people not wearing masks, or wearing them poorly, to be in close contact with many non-masked people for an extended period of time (longer than 10+ minutes usually designated as "well you may be hosed" if you were near an infected person). there is simply no way to do it while maintaining reasonable social distancing

it is real bad for the city and i do hope you're right, but if i gotta go into the office i'm waking up an hour early and going to bed an hour late and walking both ways rather than taking the subway for the forseeable future (the much more likely result is i tell anyone suggesting i go into the office to gently caress off and die, of course)

our transit ridership is down 80% from pre-pandemic levels, so we're not quite at the "packed like sardines in a crushed tin can" levels we're normally at. that said if i do take transit i'm taking it off-hours and preferably walking when i can.

to the extent that i'm doing anything onsite it's relatively local, and within a few KM of where i live, so as long as the weather is nice and i'm not in a rush i'm walking

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Max Facetime posted:

Japan’s subway travelers probably put on face masks at the first hint of a new virus, as this wasn’t the first virus to appear in the area and the masks they already had at hand

so let’s be careful drawing conclusions in the west based on how things developed in the east

pretty much the entirety of tokyo was masked up and a lot were wearing gloves when I was there in early february.

i recommend skepticism of any government declaration that claims something that helps keep money flowing is in fact safe, cool, and good. japan’s government is highly suspect given that they were going to baghdad bob levels of denial as long as it seemed like the olympics were still happening this year.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

there are reasons why new york was hit harder than other places and NY public transit is most likely one of them. it's probably still fine while many people are working from home since cars should be pretty empty. things will get interesting as the reopening ramps up.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

in the replies, this guy goes on to say he has some kind of muscular dystrophy. rip your neck, brother

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

people don't test drive those things do they? I don't think it quite occurred to me before that most of these people just click some buttons and a car appears later (sometimes much later) but at no point have they actually driven one before

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i think test drives are pretty rare. you DEFINITELY probably arent going to get to test drive the exact car you would receive before they sell it to you. every buyer trip report ive read in the past year was "yeah i waited 3 hours in line, they made me sign paperwork, tossed me the key and said i had 30 seconds to leave the property"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Munkeymon posted:

people don't test drive those things do they? I don't think it quite occurred to me before that most of these people just click some buttons and a car appears later (sometimes much later) but at no point have they actually driven one before

the Y is brand new so the first customers would've ordered with out any opportunity

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

didnt tesla do away with test drives saying you can just return the car if you dont like it?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Slippery Tilde
they incentivized customers declining to test drive by offering more of the free battery-destroying supercharge service

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

duz posted:

didnt tesla do away with test drives saying you can just return the car if you dont like it?

they were going to do away with all their retail stores & test drives until they realized that it was a stupid idea

new owners get up to 7 days & 1000 miles to return the car, and can't order the same trim for 12 months

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i squinted at your username enough that it clicks and now i holler it whenever you post about the experience lol

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
that scheme seems like a great way for the company with hostile design as a cornerstone to just never accept returns

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

that scheme seems like a great way for the company with hostile design as a cornerstone to just never accept returns

there are many reports of people who return the car and then don't get their money back due to tesla's inhouse rats-nest ERP

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
working as intended

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

i squinted at your username enough that it clicks and now i holler it whenever you post about the experience lol

oh i just got it lol

i think my favorite one of those is Star War Sex Parrot who started out as strwrsxprt and, well, i don't think he ever admitted what it originally stood for, but i have a guess

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
no loving blue v blue?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/bastardspod/status/1268276155221594113?s=19

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

FrozenVent posted:

no loving blue v blue?

unfuckingbelievable

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
startup or screen name?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

there are many reports of people who return the car and then don't get their money back due to tesla's inhouse rats-nest ERP

are there people who gets cars without paying for them also

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Nomnom Cookie posted:

surprisingly enough, no

:capitalism:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I think someone did once. pretty sure I read about it here

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Nomnom Cookie posted:

no but there are people who are paying for them without getting them

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

i feel like im winning then. not paying and not getting saddled with a deathtrap.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

lmao more space trash launched today??? jfc

e:

quote:

In this start, SpaceX is testing an umbrella that will protect the reflective surfaces from sunlight during the flight over the twilight zones. This should make the StarLink satellites appear less noticeable in the sky when they have reached their operational orbits.

sure sure sure :jerkbag:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’ll believe it when I (don’t) see it.

The “darksat” was a wet fart and not, I think, launched in good faith.

“When they have reached their operational orbits” is a hell of a qualifier because given the scale of the planned constellation and the short lifetime of satellites in it, there will always be some satellites in the process of boosting to higher orbit.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Err, basically every anecdote in that article reads like normalization of deviance which will eventually get someone killed or an expensive launch pad destroyed:
https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/06/forget-dragon-the-falcon-9-rocket-is-the-secret-sauce-of-spacexs-success/

Framed as brave entrepreneurialism, the kind of gumption and readiness to improvise that is needed to get into space before the company goes bankrupt (again).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Munin posted:

Err, basically every anecdote in that article reads like normalization of deviance which will eventually get someone killed or an expensive launch pad destroyed:
https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/06/forget-dragon-the-falcon-9-rocket-is-the-secret-sauce-of-spacexs-success/

Framed as brave entrepreneurialism, the kind of gumption and readiness to improvise that is needed to get into space before the company goes bankrupt (again).

yeah i was also extremely pleased to see musk participating in decisions there which kind of flies in the face of the "spacex is ok because musk doesn't have much to do with it's decisions compared to tesla" arguments.