Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

knox_harrington posted:

Fortunately they didn't get used anywhere near me but Apaches can use rockets that contain a load of tungsten flechettes, which can be pretty awful.
https://magellan.aero/wp-content/uploads/CRV7%20Rotary%20Wing%20-%20Web%20Version.pdf

For when regular war isn't quite grim enough.

kind of reminds me a while back, someone posted that when the machines rise up, they'll eventually learn that to destroy humanity they don't need explosives or bullets or anything complicated for the most part. just sharp metal objects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

never understood why skynet didn't just engineer and release a deadly virus. requires next to no effort from the machines and covid has taught us that at least 45% of the population would be actively trying to catch it

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

twist ending to the next terminator film should be the terminator moving skynet off the military computers and on to some random datacenter so instead of launching nukes it just chills out on the net chatting and playing mario kart or whatever with unsuspecting humans

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Slippery Tilde
in Sea of Rust the machines just dump mercury into every water source they can find

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i'm pretty sure we do that ourselves already, also :rip: any aluminum machines, i guess

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
huh i would like to know more about novels in which the humble computer protagonists finally conquer humans

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Slippery Tilde

psiox posted:

huh i would like to know more about novels in which the humble computer protagonists finally conquer humans

C Robert Cargill's Sea of Rust

main character's a robbit ofc

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

MomJeans420 posted:

There are no bodies in those posts, mostly just mangled cars, but yeah there may be some blood if you zoom in so I spoilered it

no bodies anymore. shitload of gibs though

greg the peanut
Dec 24, 2000

LOL at the car accelerating away from the cops. Limit on that highway is generally 80km/h...

https://twitter.com/cspotweet/status/1306598673342554114

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
god somebody cancel this guy already

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

The thing is that this isn't even theoretically true: Like, that "government waste" is someone else's paycheck (a clerk, a tax collector, a pencil alignment inspector, whatever) and if that person's marginal propensity to consume (how likely they are to spend an extra dollar vs. saving it) is higher than Musk's (and rich people's marginal propensity to consume is empirically really really low because they're rich as gently caress meaning their actual needs are already met so they have increasingly harder times coming up with poo poo to buy) then the multiplier effect (how much economic activity a dollar produces) will increase meaning more GDP is created? It's vacuously true that there exists a marginal tax rate above which economic activity decreases but it's only been demonstrated at Scandinavian levels which are so far beyond anything that's even arguably possible in an American context that this is all extremely academic?

:shrug:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

The thing is that this isn't even theoretically true: Like, that "government waste" is someone else's paycheck (a clerk, a tax collector, a pencil alignment inspector, whatever) and if that person's marginal propensity to consume (how likely they are to spend an extra dollar vs. saving it) is higher than Musk's (and rich people's marginal propensity to consume is empirically really really low because they're rich as gently caress meaning their actual needs are already met so they have increasingly harder times coming up with poo poo to buy) then the multiplier effect (how much economic activity a dollar produces) will increase meaning more GDP is created? It's vacuously true that there exists a marginal tax rate above which economic activity decreases but it's only been demonstrated at Scandinavian levels which are so far beyond anything that's even arguably possible in an American context that this is all extremely academic?

bazingas are dumber than dogshit, hth op

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

it also assumes elon will "save humanity" which he is demonstrably not trying to do at all

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

greg the peanut posted:

LOL at the car accelerating away from the cops. Limit on that highway is generally 80km/h...

https://twitter.com/cspotweet/status/1306598673342554114

That's the first useful feature I've seen in a Tesla, automatically run from the cops when the driver is sleeping

Roosevelt posted:

bazingas are dumber than dogshit, hth op

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Endless Mike posted:

it also assumes elon will "save humanity" which he is demonstrably not trying to do at all

So long as you don't define the poors as part of humanity...

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Endless Mike posted:

I mean, religious belief (as opposed to the effects of those beliefs) are difficult things to apply the analytical tools of social science to?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

In awe of the fuckin ego

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

yeah i mean the fact that his "worth" (lol) is ~100 billion demonstrably means he will not use $10 billion to save humanity. he's failed to do anything productive with his current big number so he's not going to, like, solve global warming or send people to mars with anything extra he gets from bonuses or compensation.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Schadenboner posted:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

do the emirates just not do taxes? or do they make so much goddamn money that it barely shows as a percentage

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

this is by the 2005 dow 36000 guy

who now works for the white house

and released a similar polynomial fit for coronavirus deaths in may that had deaths going to zero by mid may

that drove white house policy

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Roosevelt posted:

do the emirates just not do taxes? or do they make so much goddamn money that it barely shows as a percentage

state owned oil revenue is not a corporate tax, duh

also hilariously punitive import tariffs unless you use the right relative of the specific emirate

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
as a rule, i assume anyone posting something referencing the laffo curve is doing so as a joke

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Slippery Tilde
presidential medal of freedom recipient arthur laffer

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Well yeah the effective corporate tax rate in the US is 35%. That's definitely true and not total bullshit

:thermidor:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Lmao economics is the biggest fuckin grift ever run, our country is controlled by innumerate ghouls

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

love that fit to those data points, it’s an excellent curve

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fart simpson posted:

love that fit to those data points, it’s an excellent curve

as you can see, our model predicts steady continuous growth year-on-year

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

well im convinced. where do i send the money

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

u've just got to buy some municipal bonds from Las Vegas

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Not a Children posted:

Lmao economics is the biggest fuckin grift ever run, our country is controlled by innumerate ghouls

as an economist i will have you know that economics is just as rigorous a science as anything in STEM. Furthermore, if we assume a risk-free that is always positive and rational individuals, one can always infer that higher tax rates will lead to highly-taxed individuals moving to *faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart* *dies from making GBS threads his own rear end out*

mystes
May 31, 2006

PCjr sidecar posted:

this is by the 2005 dow 36000 guy

who now works for the white house

and released a similar polynomial fit for coronavirus deaths in may that had deaths going to zero by mid may

that drove white house policy
Jesus christ it's literally the same person?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

in awe of this graph

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

BBJoey posted:

in awe of this graph

that graph has been shaping us fiscal policy for most of your life.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
laffo curve

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Mr. Nice! posted:

that graph has been shaping us fiscal policy for most of your life.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

mystes posted:

Jesus christ it's literally the same person?

yes

its a real economist power move to level up from indirect deaths to direct deaths

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Once you make it into the Republican intelligencia you can only fail upward. They have an entire donor wing dedicated to backstopping their craven policies with nonsense economic models

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

economics is the science of telling wealthy people what they want to hear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lol. martin tripp, the guy who got swatted for exposing tesla's re-use of damaged battery packs is evidently not a whistle-blower