Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

someone come get me when I can use my F150 to power my bidet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

someone come get me when I can use my F150 to power my bidet

sucks for you if your water pressure is so low you need electrical power to assist.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i had to install an extra valve because my water pressure is way too high to hook the bidet up to the main line straight. its high pressure enough that's could hurt someone.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

i want a bidet but running power to heat the water it shoots out will be a bit problematic since an outlet isn't exactly close and i dont want ice cold water shooting at my taint no thanks

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

you don't get an electric heater. you just connect it to the hot water line of the sink that's in the same room as the toilet and typically in a position that the line wouldn't be noticeable.

also your water really isn't that cold and being warm really doesn't matter once you're used to it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nfcknblvbl posted:

i want a bidet but running power to heat the water it shoots out will be a bit problematic since an outlet isn't exactly close and i dont want ice cold water shooting at my taint no thanks

They make ones that splice off both hot and cold lines, but if your bathroom is weird (i.e. sink across from the toilet so you watch yourself posting) it's obviously a nonstarter unless you saw through the engineered beams in the floor to run the line.

also unless you're making GBS threads every 5 mins or blasting like half a gallon of water up your crack, the water will likely have warmed up considerably since it'll have been waiting in the pipe/supply line at or near room temperature. If you're hosing your sphincter for like 30 seconds where you're getting that frosty chill water from the mains, then yeah I could get the concern but let's be real if you're normally blasing your rear end in a top hat with a jet of water for that long you're gonna get turned on by it being ice cold because you're a god drat masochist.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 20, 2021

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

drat, that really cuts down on cost. the non electric one on costco is 40 bucks

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Mr. Nice! posted:

also your water really isn't that cold and being warm really doesn't matter once you're used to it.

Can confirm.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Nfcknblvbl posted:

drat, that really cuts down on cost. the non electric one on costco is 40 bucks

Careful, that’s a gateway bidet. Three months from now you’ll be looking at a luxury heated toilet seat.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

tk posted:

Careful, that’s a gateway bidet. Three months from now you’ll be looking at a luxury heated toilet seat.

this is where you need power.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

tk posted:

Can also confirm.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

tk posted:

which you can power via a cable from your new f150 lightning.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

tk posted:

i'm getting an outlet put in my posting closet specifically for this

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Nfcknblvbl posted:

using energy charged at night from nuclear to power a house during the day is a good thing

still lolling at this btw

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

still lolling at this btw

same

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

what if you want to drive the car away from home? won’t the battery be dead

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

fart simpson posted:

what if you want to drive the car away from home? won’t the battery be dead

no no you drive to the nuclear at night and then bring the precious precious energy home to power your house for the day

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

no no you drive to the nuclear at night and then bring the precious precious energy home to power your house for the day

oh ok

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

loled out loud

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

that dude died

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

talk about a guy that peaked in high school though, woof

his mom killed herself like a year after the backyard reactor incident, he flunked out of a metallurgy program at the local community college, joined the navy then the marines, somehow got an honorable medical discharge, and then spent the rest of his life getting busted for meth head type larceny which was actually just him stealing smoke detectors for the americium sources inside them before being found dead of an alcohol/opioid OD at the age of 39.

p sure if the navy just let him work on the fuckin reactor he'd have been fine, or maybe he'd have stolen the fuel rods who knows

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

sucks for you if your water pressure is so low you need electrical power to assist.

Look at this guy who doesn't enjoy the sweet fruits of a Toto - instant hot water at varying temps, heated seat, charcoal air filter, etc. It's also way easier to hook up to the existing cold water line going to the toilet.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Not a Children posted:

Fun fact: when a critical mass of people start taking advantage of power offset through the batteries they have at home, power companies will lower or stop those off-peak rate adjustments

Funner fact: Almost no electrical distribution infrastructure in this country was designed to support a neighborhood's worth of cars pulling an extra 40-80 amps in the early evening when everyone gets home. New demand curves are gonna be interesting. More interesting is seeing how much distribution is gonna need to be upsized, and who's gonna pay for all that.

I have read that the increased efficiency of other electrical devices these days is helping a lot with that. You add 40A per house for the car but you've already saved 25A by replacing all the light bulbs with LEDs and getting rid of the 40 inch Trinitron.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

i'm pumped that i could potentially buy a truck that has nearly three times the battery capacity of my car for only 50-ish grand, and it can charge my family's electric motorcycles

Out of curiosity do you have any hobbies other than buying electric vehicles

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
well you see you need to own a prius for like 10 years before the carbon cost of its manufacture is offset by its use

and since teslas are so much better it's best to replace yours every other year in order to save the planet

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
does the battery in a Prius even last 10 years?

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

sure, buying a new car every three years is silly enough on its own, but also, why exactly is dude rushing out to buy an enormous pedestrian-devouring truck when sedans seemed to suit their needs perfectly well up until now

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

well you see you need to own a prius for like 10 years before the carbon cost of its manufacture is offset by its use

btw this is an oil talking point with about as much credibility as health benefits of smoking from the tobacco institute

yes, a plug-in prius has a higher material cost than a yaris but breakeven is much sooner than a decade; it’s difficult to do a direct comparison because how you scope whats included and weigh it; used cars better than new obvs but how you account for mfg over life or car, etc.

none of of this applies to flipping evs like android phones of course

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Silver Alicorn posted:

I've had one for 16 years. It does.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Blotto_Otter posted:

sure, buying a new car every three years is silly enough on its own, but also, why exactly is dude rushing out to buy an enormous pedestrian-devouring truck when sedans seemed to suit their needs perfectly well up until now

we have motorcycles, and we can't haul them from the sedan

re: flipping cars, it's not like my used cars are disappearing from the planet. i think it's ok to be the fool to pay msrp for a new car if you want to, and some bargain hunter in 3 years will be glad to take it

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 20, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Silver Alicorn posted:

Yes. I read an article a few years back about some New York City taxis that were going on half a million miles with their first battery still going strong

This is because Toyota is extremely conservative and their battery management maintains the battery between like 20 and 80% capacity all of the time and only charges at a reasonable rate.

In a Tesla that drains the battery to depletion in order to claim a higher range, and where you're supercharging regularly, you will not get 10 years.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
well. that’s pretty good

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

PCjr sidecar posted:

btw this is an oil talking point with about as much credibility as health benefits of smoking from the tobacco institute

yes, a plug-in prius has a higher material cost than a yaris but breakeven is much sooner than a decade; it’s difficult to do a direct comparison because how you scope whats included and weigh it; used cars better than new obvs but how you account for mfg over life or car, etc.

none of of this applies to flipping evs like android phones of course

i actually wasn't aware that there was a breakeven point for hybrids, i thought the manufacturing was roughly the same vs ICE and that they just had a somewhat smaller footprint

i mean obviously i was joking earlier but if you're driving a personal vehicle in an attempt to save the environment you're already loving up

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nfcknblvbl posted:

we have motorcycles, and we can't haul them from the sedan

If only the motorcycles had some sort of self-contained power-dense generator that would allow them to travel long ranges without a support vehicle

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

If only the motorcycles had some sort of self-contained generator that would allow them to travel long ranges without a support vehicle

not plated since they're dirt bikes, and even if they were i don't think anyone would be cool with my 5 year old riding on public roads

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

this guy. this fuckin guy

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

im now convinced that Nfcknblvbl is an op. he has to be

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i'm like the one person in the world who can generate a real use case for the "power your home" thing. the previous owner of my house got a transfer switch installed and then for some reason, who fuckin knows, they didn't get a generator to go with it. also i'd really like to have a bev pickup

still though, like...i could get a generator if i want one so bad, and keep driving my frontier? who the f wants to drop $60k on a pickup truck

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

based on how many lifted bro-dozers there are in my area, a lot of people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

why not just get a regular loving car and save your family the pain