Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
has anyone said

Elon Elon Bilk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

has anyone said

Elon Elon Bilk

No but I'm sure Elon has something to say about the blicks

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

So that's what Apartheid money looks like.

mewse
May 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmZ1UPGlhoE

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

infernal machines posted:

the good news is their parts are mostly made by everyone else. and tesla owners are gullible shits with tons of money, so there should be a healthy aftermarket trade

i don't think you can count on that

as i just pointed out, there are only 300k total vehicles out there, across all models. making/selling parts and service is not going to be very lucrative

think like, finding parts for your american-market citroen SM

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Roosevelt posted:

she looks like she's thinking about some kind of extermination

that's just the resting face for rich, white South Africans

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

platinum hair? :thunk:

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i will honestly be surprised if tesla doesnt still exist as a company even if they have to go through some restructuring and shed some debt or something, they still have the plant and the intellectual property and the ability to make cars.

might be a brand of another company or something in the worst case, imo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

as i just pointed out, there are only 300k total vehicles out there, across all models. making/selling parts and service is not going to be very lucrative

you can still buy custom made parts for MGs here in north america. they're incredibly expensive because the only people buying them are wealthy boomers who collect terrible cars, but there's enough of a market for a cottage industry to survive. i think tesla would be similar assuming they don't salt the earth with some firmware thing that kills the cars, intentionally or otherwise

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

less than 10k deloreans were ever built but you can still get aftermarket parts for them

hell I saw a video the other day of someone selling aftermarket door handles for the model S with the pitch that basically they aren't cheap trash like the originals that came on the $100k car so there's already an aftermarket parts market just because the engineering is so bad

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

and the ability to make cars.

that's a stretch

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Potato Salad posted:

So that's what Apartheid money looks like.

resting rich face

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

might be a brand of another company or something in the worst case, imo

tata, perhaps?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Chris Knight posted:

resting rich face

obvious, yet...elegant.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Chris Knight posted:

resting rich face

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

you can still buy custom made parts for MGs here in north america. they're incredibly expensive because the only people buying them are wealthy boomers who collect terrible cars, but there's enough of a market for a cottage industry to survive. i think tesla would be similar assuming they don't salt the earth with some firmware thing that kills the cars, intentionally or otherwise

I think the problem is that they're just not collectible. Nobody's going to buy one for a million dollars in 2050 because they remember having sex in them for their first time, they aren't museum pieces, they aren't winning races, in fact you can't race them, and anything revolutionary they're doing is probably going to be mainstream in a decade (anything to do with the batteries, motors, dumbass center console screen). to bring it back to tech it's like any of the macs from the late 90s to now that nobody gives a poo poo about once the new model is out.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
if tesla went away would the cars still function without being able to connect to the tesla network?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

if tesla went away would the cars still function without being able to connect to the tesla network?

please be no please be no please be no... :pray:

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

they will be restored and the ones that are in good shape from known periods of 'successful' manufacture will fetch a high premium until the end of time. also the musk mother and the ex-wife look strikingly similar aaooogah aaooogah

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Munkeymon posted:

less than 10k deloreans were ever built but you can still get aftermarket parts for them

hell I saw a video the other day of someone selling aftermarket door handles for the model S with the pitch that basically they aren't cheap trash like the originals that came on the $100k car so there's already an aftermarket parts market just because the engineering is so bad

delorean parts quite often involve the many many off the shelf or almost so parts used in original production, and also just plain replacements from other vehicles that you put in cuz it makes the car perform better than stock anyway.

a lot of tesla's bullshit is going to be harder to replace in that sort of way.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
so elong is against raising equity but has diluted the total by 5% this year just through compensation

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

eh grahms wots this SEC everyones been gabbin away about

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hifi posted:

I think the problem is that they're just not collectible. Nobody's going to buy one for a million dollars in 2050 because they remember having sex in them for their first time, they aren't museum pieces, they aren't winning races, in fact you can't race them, and anything revolutionary they're doing is probably going to be mainstream in a decade (anything to do with the batteries, motors, dumbass center console screen). to bring it back to tech it's like any of the macs from the late 90s to now that nobody gives a poo poo about once the new model is out.

they're not even old and people are already collecting them

it's just idiot nerds in tech and finance rather than old boomer dads

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

President Beep posted:

please be no please be no please be no... :pray:

the guy who got murked by twitter said there was a special order version that shipped without internet connectivity, so presumably it's something that is supported by the firmware

that said, there's no telling how cars that didn't ship like that will behave if the backend goes dark for long enough. also dumb poo poo like internal certificates expiring in a way that prevents them from ever connecting again, which might only be mitigated by tesla's absolute disregard for security, if they've set internal poo poo to ignore invalid certs

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
not sure how an ev can become a “collectible” or even supported for very long post-collapse . gotta figure those Tesla batteries have a finite shelf life and require some special handling to replace/refurbish.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

current linux audio status: still broken

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

not sure how an ev can become a “collectible” or even supported for very long post-collapse . gotta figure those Tesla batteries have a finite shelf life and require some special handling to replace/refurbish.

they're COTS cells, which was one of Tesla's early advantages. that said, refurbishing the bandoleers with new cells is probably still going to be all but prohibitively expensive

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Just think that in 50 years some old greybeard will be making vintage 18650 battery packs for classic EV cars.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

that's a stretch

just put them in receivership and have accenture run them for a few years and hire real process engineers who do continuous improvement and stuff.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

have accenture run them for a few years

so you want to salt the earth too?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

just put them in receivership and have accenture run them for a few years and hire real process engineers who do continuous improvement and stuff.

Yes, Accenture is a wonderful idea, they're not the worst idiot leeches that exist.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

spankmeister posted:

Just think that in 50 years some old greybeard will be making vintage 18650 battery packs for classic EV cars.

only for the purists, like the guys who hand craft vacuum tubes. everyone else will just get the biogel cell pack conversions or whatever the gently caress horror we've invented by then

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

only for the purists, like the guys who hand craft vacuum tubes. everyone else will just get the biogel cell pack conversions or whatever the gently caress horror we've invented by then

batteries made by literally harvesting the hearts of orphan children, but after hearing that they can get two extra hours on their phone before charging, people will convince themselves that it's actually good because you know lithium mines used slave labour and the orphans are killed humanely and it's 100% environmentally sustainable

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ol qwerty bastard posted:

batteries made by literally harvesting the hearts of orphan children, but after hearing that they can get two extra hours on their phone before charging, people will convince themselves that it's actually good because you know lithium mines used slave labour and the orphans are killed humanely and it's 100% environmentally sustainable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8aBP-JOZsU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Chris Knight posted:

resting rich face

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Chris Knight posted:

resting rich face

way lbetter tluan resting lich face imo

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

>mfw theres too much money and precious stones in my family safe to close the door

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Owners will just 3D print parts if they need them.

Normally that would be a laughable idea but 3D printed plastic parts would probably have better strength and better dimensional tolerances than the originals Tesla uses and would likely more durable even if you were to use that filament that dissolves in water.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

what about when their janky control arms snap tho???

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

President Beep posted:

what about when their janky control arms snap tho???

Well right now they get a new one in a few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

maybe the primitive technology dude can teach Tesla owners the basics of sand casting???