Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
Nintendo also did some pretty wild poo poo before becoming an electronic game and then a video game company

quote:

Between 1963 and 1968, Yamauchi invested in several business lines for Nintendo that were far from its traditional market and, for the most part, were unsuccessful.[31] Among these ventures were packages of instant rice, a chain of love hotels, and a taxi service named 'Daiya'. Although the taxi service was better received than the previous efforts, Yamauchi rejected this initiative after a series of disagreements with local unions.[32]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

the Japanese company that makes industry defining quality bike parts does it as a side gig. their main business is fishing gear.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Taking a trip to the Hitachi Megastore to get yourself an excavator and an air-conditioning unit, also picking up an ATM and then impulse-buying a JGSDF Artillery Support Vehicle because you've got so many uses for one, and then the guy on the till upsells you a vibrator on the way out.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

FAUXTON posted:

fueled by oil extracted by Hyundai-built deepwater rigs and delivered to refineries by Hyundai-built tankers, all presumably offset by Hyundai-built green energy generation and distribution networks operating in a couple dozen countries

Hyundai shipyard isn’t known for their tankers though they do build some, they mostly do more high tech ships like LNG carriers, oil rigs, ro/ro and container ships these days

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

TheDarkFlame posted:

Taking a trip to the Hitachi Megastore to get yourself an excavator and an air-conditioning unit, also picking up an ATM and then impulse-buying a JGSDF Artillery Support Vehicle because you've got so many uses for one, and then the guy on the till upsells you a vibrator on the way out.

hitachi no longer makes the hitachi personal manager, any new unit currently on the market was manufactured under license

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

cowards

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

quote:

Overall, I'm happy with car. Yeah, I don't like the driveline shimmy at ~45mph, but as long as it isn't damaging anything, I can live with it until a fix comes along.

I'm less happy with Tesla Service.

This morning, for no apparent reason and without warning, my car was dead dead. I parked it last night as normal and when I approached it this morning, the handles extended. It went downhill from there. When I got in, the DIC and MCU were black. No sounds like "door ajar dinging". No way to operate the garage door. The manual gear selection buttons have always been flaky... usually not responding to touch. No exception this morning. I tried scroll wheel resetting, but to no avail. I sat in the car trying different things... including trying to access the car via the mobile app (no dice). Eventually, I was able to get the manual gear selection buttons working, so I was able to complete my drive into town... albeit a cold, quiet drive (no heater controls and no music). I called Tesla Service to schedule a Ranger to come out and repair my $150K paperweight, but they said Rangers only come to Lafayette on Mondays and Tuesdays. WTF? When did this become a thing? They said to schedule an appointment in the app, which I did, but that wouldn't happen until 12/2. I'm not sure what functions my car currently lacks (since I have no feedback). Do the signals works? Not sure. Pushing the soft button doesn't seem to do anything. No tactile, no blinker sound (artificial from the MCU). Is it charging? Not sure. No DIC or app information. What's my battery level? Can I even supercharge with a dead MCU? What tells the supercharger network my car is authorized? What about the automatic headlights or wipers? The sensors likely report their status to the MCU.

Yeah, I'm not even sure my next car will be a Tesla with this kind of service response and this kind of failure on a brand new car. If Lucid produces a sedan with "pretty close" performance numbers, I'd consider it. Of course there's no guarantee they won't have the same service issues.
love the car tho

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
my sedan's "performance" is far more important than any part of it working correctly, or at all. i live my life a quarter mile at a time :rice:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

If Lucid produces a sedan with "pretty close" performance numbers, I'd consider it. Of course there's no guarantee they won't have the same service issues.

Lucid's CEO in comparison to Musk:

quote:

Mr. Rawlinson, who comes across as good humored but intense and detail oriented, is self-effacing in a way that Mr. Musk is not. He says, for example, that he wants to hire people who are smarter than he is.

“If I’ve done my job right, I’ll be the dumbest guy left in the room and I can walk out and throw away the key and leave them to it,” Mr. Rawlinson said with a laugh.

Also dumbass doesn't know that that driveline shimmy is almost certainly an out of balance or unevenly worn wheel

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Also dumbass doesn't know that that driveline shimmy is almost certainly an out of balance or unevenly worn wheel

"surely they can patch it in software" i say, as my wheels whomp onto the interstate in my car stuck in bios

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Agile Vector posted:

carstuck bios

a new incredibly niche hornt website

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Oh no stepbro,, my ram is unseated and I'm stuck in a bootloop

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Lucid's CEO in comparison to Musk:

just remembered "whompy wheels" and laughing again

e: also the lucid is everything musky claims the tesla is. actual build quality, fast as a scalded cat, ridiculous range, and it looks loving good. I don't want one or anything, but i'm glad they exist and i hope against hope that they win.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

the mercedes eqs is pretty dang good too

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FrozenVent posted:

hitachi no longer makes the hitachi personal manager, any new unit currently on the market was manufactured under license

that's what they claim but iirc nobody has really been able to figure out the ownership of the company that makes them and it sure seems like Hitachi just spun it off to an unclaimed subsidiary to get the Hitachi name off of it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

that's what they claim but iirc nobody has really been able to figure out the ownership of the company that makes them and it sure seems like Hitachi just spun it off to an unclaimed subsidiary to get the Hitachi name off of it.

idk if the patent expired or what but you can get them from a lot of different places with a pretty wide range of quality

according to my friend

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Endless Mike posted:

love the car tho

everything stopped working and my experience was a nightmare. however, i, and i cannot stress this enough, love the car

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FrozenVent posted:

idk if the patent expired or what but you can get them from a lot of different places with a pretty wide range of quality

according to my friend

the patent was never the issue, the quality was. the non-hitachi ones tend to be very cheap and of questionable reliability while the hitachi ones are well built and designed to last for a long time.

less of a big deal now since there are a lot more companies that base their existence on making a high quality stuff. probably because they don't have to pretend to be either gag gifts or something else entirely, so companies can build a brand name around the actual use of the things.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Shifty Pony posted:

the patent was never the issue, the quality was. the non-hitachi ones tend to be very cheap and of questionable reliability while the hitachi ones are well built and designed to last for a long time.

less of a big deal now since there are a lot more companies that base their existence on making a high quality stuff. probably because they don't have to pretend to be either gag gifts or something else entirely, so companies can build a brand name around the actual use of the things.

Yeah, it turns out that when you are designing an electrical device whose primary function is to intensely vibrate, you need to put in some real engineering to make sure it isn't slowly destroying itself in the process.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

most of the big r&d these days is vibration actuated suction

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
vibration is the devil's motion

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
god loves a good slow reciprocating motion that lasts anywhere up to two minutes. anything more is sinful.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

LanceHunter posted:

Yeah, it turns out that when you are designing an electrical device whose primary function is to intensely vibrate, you need to put in some real engineering to make sure it isn't slowly destroying itself in the process.

idk you can buy a vibratory tumbler from harbor freight for $75, literally meant to plug in and left to vibrate for hours/days at a time

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i guess it won't fit in your pussy tho

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

when I worked in bulk material handling we had hydraulic vibrators, they would shake your teeth from like 50’ away

they broke down all the loving time though

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i guess it won't fit in your pussy tho

that's mighty presumptuous

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

a lot of the Japanese companies are actually completely independent of each other like Rolls Royce cars and turbines are. the banks that form the core of the zaibatsus still have a large interest but it means that for example denso instead of being Toyota parts can be parts for all of the Japanese car companies.

I think it’s Mitsubishi where basically all the groups named Mitsubishi have almost no connection with each other?

it also goes for Korea. Hyundai heavy industries isn’t part of Hyundai group anymore. it is however all still run by the same family.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
anyways going on tues or weds to see a yamaha bass guitar, which will match my stereo and motorcycle

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Yamaha the music company only owns 10% of Yamaha the motorcycle company.

in looking that up I discovered that Yamaha exited the archery business in 2002

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

someone actually doesn't love the car

quote:

Short post, just wanted to share my exp.

Took delivery Sept 17th. Car has been a nightmare since, was delivered to me with a plethora of QC issues that even the service center technicians have been surprised by (one of my interior panels came with multiple clips broken, excessive polyurethane on the roof causing a paint spill look, and the list goes on).

I decided to trade in the car and move to a brand with an actual good reputation for quality cars. I found out that Tesla never finalized my loan on the car I have owned for a month and a half, and for the last two weeks Ive called every day to try and get this figured out so I can trade this piece of poo poo in. I literally am moving nowhere, nobody has any idea how I both accepted a loan agreement but am in the system as needing an application for a loan.

I am stuck waiting on them so I can put an order in for my actual dream car.

DO NOT BUY A TESLA. SERIOUSLY.

OEMs are catching up in the EV space year by year. They have the range, the power and software goodies will follow soon.
https://old.reddit.com/r/RealTesla/comments/r07pfq/i_am_trapped_with_my_model_3/

if you read further down, the bank has no record of a loan, so no one has a title, and insurance won't cover anything in case of an accident

this, however, is incredible:

quote:

Ah yes. Same thing happened to me. Got a lawyer and we did a settlement instead as I could sell the car for more than what the lemon claim would have given me. My next car is still a Tesla though but this time I will not accept a car if it’s not to my spec.
i had a car that was so bad i had to get a lawyer to get any money back on it at all, but i will buy from that company again

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 23, 2021

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

love the car, not a cult

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
love the cult, tho

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

i had a car that was so bad i had to get a lawyer to get any money back on it at all, but i will buy from that company again

jfc

In SpaceX news (I decided to link to the hot take rather than the underlying article):

https://twitter.com/BS__Exposed/status/1463109818722533386?s=20

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lomarf rocket when

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

MomJeans420 posted:

In SpaceX news (I decided to link to the hot take rather than the underlying article):

"they'll face bankruptcy soon" seems like a too-hot-to-handle take, that poster can't even finish the sentence without hedging their take.

but that said... if one believes in the fundamental shittyness of one elon musk, and his impulse to make himself the smartest person in the room via process of elimination, it seems only a matter of time before he runs off the competent people at SpaceX who are actually responsible for holding the organization together.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

MomJeans420 posted:

jfc

https://twitter.com/BS__Exposed/status/1463109818722533386?s=20

i dont believe that. people have been calling the demise of tesla for years now and ol musky seems to be able to wriggle out of it. musk is clownshoes but i guess he has enough competent people to keep the ship upright.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

also, those investment advice accounts always post news on tesla, spacex, etc. in the most apocalyptic possible terms. it's pure hyperbole because they are trying to push a narrative to affect the stock price.

the underlying facts are probably true but their analysis is generally nonsense

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I mean elong just cashed in billions of stock, he could easily fund SpaceX and wherever else he feels like for a good long while

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Yeah I don't buy the bankruptcy thing because Musk can personally throw billions at it, or just decide to have Tesla purchase SpaceX at an overinflated place and no one will care. Plus capital is cheap and easy to get right now, and with Tesla's stock price action in the past few years people with nothing else to buy will still fund it. But it is interesting that so far he's been hands off enough to let some of SpaceX actually succeed, if he gets more involved that could change quickly (and it looks like he's getting more involved).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the falcon 9 is a legitimately excellent rocket with no real competition and i think thats enough to keep spacex around for a while.

starship may never fly, but atleast its not on the same level of fraud and waste as the sls.