Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Iron Crowned posted:

I only discovered in the last 5 or so years that the warning lights are color coded. Red is bad, yellow/amber is get it checked at some point. Blinking of either means you're hosed.

The thing is, no one tells you this, I think I learned it from a podcast or something.

all of this is vehicle/manufacturer specific and is clearly laid out in the owners manual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mr. Nice! posted:

all of this is vehicle/manufacturer specific and is clearly laid out in the owners manual.

I have never seen the color code laid out in the owners manual, and it's always a scavenger hunt to figure out what the lights mean, because they're compiled by some sort of morlock who has no comprehension as to how to organize things so a human can find it easy.

Also no one reads the owner's manual.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nfcknblvbl posted:

the guy logged into some people's accounts that had been hacked in various sites. it's a pretty good example that tesla should enforce mfa

do they usually make CVEs for that?

https://twitter.com/david_colombo_/status/1481022705638031362

also doesn't explain why Tesla abruptly revoked ALL their V2 auth tokens, while leaving the V3 auth tokens untouched

https://twitter.com/TezLabApp/status/1481267150165876738

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

idk when you’re actually operating the car the speedometer is pretty important

is it, though?

maybe when you're first learning to drive, before you know how fast different speeds feel, sure.

but like -- in the city you drive at a safe and reasonable speed. on the highway you keep up with traffic. if you need a speedometer to tell you "whoa, you're going sixty miles an hour in a school zone" you are a menace and should not have a license.

for the most part, my speedometers are just a thing i double check when i see a cop. i don't really have a lead foot though. maybe it's helpful if you do

Nfcknblvbl posted:

every time my car turns on, all its warning lights flash on and off just like any car except it's on a tablet screen. makes me wonder if it's a regulatory requirement to show the driver it tests safety features prior to turning on

the warning lamps turn on at startup to show you that the bulbs are working. having a warning system that is broken may be worse than knowing you having no warning system at all.

in airplanes, there is usually a switch that will turn every indicator lamp on simultaneously so that you can look for ones that are burned out, and you do it as part of the startup checklist.

it's kind of bizarre to have the indicators turn on on a tablet screen -- it doesn't actually test anything. it might be better to have the display show the status of each sensor, indicating that it's reading the data properly, since with no bulb to burn out, that's the next point of failure. maybe it is a regulatory requirement that hasn't kept up with tesla's bold new innovations.

Iron Crowned posted:

Also no one reads the owner's manual.

you're stupid if you don't.

"i just bought the most expensive thing i will ever own other than maybe a house. when used improperly it's easily capable of killing people, including myself. it has thousands of moving parts and is unquestionably more complicated than the last one of these i owned. but i think i can just figure it out on the fly"

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 12, 2022

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

FrozenVent posted:

idk when you’re actually operating the car the speedometer is pretty important

You won't care

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sagebrush posted:

"i just bought the most expensive thing i will ever own other than maybe a house. when used improperly it's easily capable of killing people, including myself. it has thousands of moving parts and is unquestionably more complicated than the last one of these i owned. but i think i can just figure it out on the fly"

:lol:

I take it you haven't seen the state of the world for the last two years have you?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

should I read the entire manual or is it ok for me to skip the part where it tells me how to change the tilt angle of my seat. I wouldn’t want to figure things out on the fly if that’s going to be unsafe.

should I practice replacing the battery on my keyless fob or is it ok to just note that there are instructions and privately resolve not to figure it out on the fly once the battery does die

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

though it is a massive endorsement of both the intuitive design and regulations surrounding car manufacture and operation (i.e. driver's licenses) that people can really buy one and not give a single thought about any "manual" that is not related to the type of transmission

also, this is what people do when they buy houses, too

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
software too

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

although in the case of software the manual is usually wrong anyway

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Nfcknblvbl posted:

every time my car turns on, all its warning lights flash on and off just like any car except it's on a tablet screen. makes me wonder if it's a regulatory requirement to show the driver it tests safety features prior to turning on

my FZ1 uses the tachometer to serve engine error codes.

if there's something seriously wrong, it will put the tach needle (which is stepper-motor driven) to a multiple of 2000 RPM and blink the oil light, and you look that up in a table to find out if the voltage is low or the timing is off or if it's out of coolant.

it's so dumb amazingly genius

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

my 2017 husqvarna 701 had an engine oil light, and EFI light that's it. that thing had a super basic cluster. i couldn't even see the revs. i guess it's that way with enduros though.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Jonny 290 posted:

if there's something seriously wrong, it will put the tach needle (which is stepper-motor driven) to a multiple of 2000 RPM and blink the oil light, and you look that up in a table to find out if the voltage is low or the timing is off or if it's out of coolant.

revolutions per minute? more like, requires prompt maintenance

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

when my bike "smart" trainer has something go wonky the power light will change to a particular color depending on what it is, and then blink x number of times per second in a particular pattern per error to indicate what is wrong with it

gently caress engineers.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

blink two times if they're standing behind you

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
there was a time (before odb2 ports) when cars would communicate diagnostic information by making the electric door locks go up and down in particular patterns

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

FMguru posted:

there was a time (before odb2 ports) when cars would communicate diagnostic information by making the electric door locks go up and down in particular patterns

ghost in the accord

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Nomnom Cookie posted:

ghost in the saab

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

ghost at the

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

when my bike "smart" trainer has something go wonky the power light will change to a particular color depending on what it is, and then blink x number of times per second in a particular pattern per error to indicate what is wrong with it

gently caress engineers.

this is basically PC hardware POST codes for the last decade or so since they stopped using a PC speaker as the standard

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sagebrush posted:

I know what they mean, but honestly it is kind of amusing to me that this speedometer is always the example they give of a critical instrument. It's like the least important instrument on your dashboard.

I would put the oil pressure lamp or gauge, coolant temperature gauge, high beam indicator, turn signal indicator, and tachometer all ahead of a speedometer in importance.

my first car was a mid-80s chevy cavalier. the two and only two gauges on the dash were the speedometer and the fuel gauge. everything else was a warning light

Sagebrush posted:

Apparently that's why cars don't come with ammeters these days, too, even if you have one fancy enough to still have electrical system gauges. Ammeters show the real time state of your electrical system, so they bounce all over the place when the car is starting, wiggle up and down in time with the windshield wipers, and rise and fall with engine speed. This is useful information -- and totally normal -- if you know what it means and are trying to keep an eye on how well your car's electrical system is performing, but apparently seeing the gauge move so much made less knowledgeable people angry because they thought the car was broken.

A voltmeter, in comparison, really only tells you your battery's state of charge, which is not that useful. But in most cases the voltmeter just goes up to 14.8 when you start the car and stays there, and that makes people happy. So now all your fancy sports cars and bro trucks and whatnot have voltmeters, but no ammeters.

yeah i remember my 96 ford tbird had an oil pressure gauge, but it didn't report the actual oil pressure, it was just pegged to middle unless the oil pressure fell below a critical threshold, then would drop to zero and light the oil pressure warning light. my 97 buick lesabre actually shows oil pressure though.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

infernal machines posted:

this is basically PC hardware POST codes for the last decade or so since they stopped using a PC speaker as the standard

i miss the one mobo I had with a little 8 led post code row that'd show a pattern. it might have also read the code out if there was a speaker attached to on-board sound but the pattern codes were easier since pci sound cards were still popular

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FMguru posted:

You can do the "key dance" on a 2000+ Dodge and it'll spit codes out on the dash. Not sure about the current ones but it worked in my 05 and 09.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

fancy motherboards have a couple seven-segment displays to show hex codes on. often the mobo manual doesn’t explain them though

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

there's only one warning lamp that i care about

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Sagebrush posted:

my blood runs cold
a Furious sight to behold
there's danger to the manifold
danger to the manifold

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

piece of poo poo asus motherboard!

edit vvv oh no i got the quote wrong

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 13, 2022

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

shameful post in the ‘pos of all places

https://i.imgur.com/kYIn3.gifv

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Nomnom Cookie posted:

fancy motherboards have a couple seven-segment displays to show hex codes on. often the mobo manual doesn’t explain them though

ive got one of these. the C7 B0 A3 00 startup sequence is dope

also one of my machines' mobos has an actual power switch on the board, it looks like a remote start switch and owns

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i lol every time

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

lol man he looks young, easy to forget how old the movies are

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

FrozenVent posted:

I’m the moving parts

I understand tracking the sun but the whole folding and unfolding bullshit is really ostentatious

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

I understand tracking the sun but the whole folding and unfolding bullshit is really ostentatious

I live in a place with snow and ice and I can’t see that thing working without a heater

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
wish they would make a new fast and furious movie that was about building and street racing cars again and not about flying a lamborghini into a satellite to prevent North Korea from doing something or another

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Wild EEPROM posted:

wish they would make a new fast and furious movie that was about building and street racing cars again and not about flying a lamborghini into a satellite to prevent North Korea from doing something or another

I want to see them fight some aliens TBH

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The Fast and The Furious vs. Predator

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

idk how much teeth transport canada has relative to nhtsa, but they are investigating tesla's inability to make a car that can heat its passengers

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/tesla-heating-problems-will-be-investigated-by-transport-canada-179006.html

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
that is a reasonable concern in canada. can't wait to see "canadian winter" mode that halves the range to keep the occupants alive

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wild EEPROM posted:

flying a lambo into a satellite? poo poo i need to see the latest one

yes someone should make a dumb street racing movie but leave the dumb cars as super powers movies alone they're fun in the silliest action movie way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Endless Mike posted:

idk how much teeth transport canada has relative to nhtsa, but they are investigating tesla's inability to make a car that can heat its passengers

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/tesla-heating-problems-will-be-investigated-by-transport-canada-179006.html

Their heat pumps are failing in cold weather. The switch to heat pumps was to gain some additional efficiency vs resistive heating, so in a sense this is a resounding success since there’s no parasitic drain on the battery from running the heat if the car doesn’t have heat.