Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

its called all wheel drive, not all wheel brake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Shaggar posted:

dont worry, we're going to eliminate the need for braking in software

tesla is exceptionally good at breaking software

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I seem to remember elon saying the pads will never wear out because regenerative braking will handle most of the work

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

qirex posted:

I seem to remember elon saying the pads will never wear out because regenerative braking will handle most of the work

in many cases, they don't actually wear out. they rust and the calipers freeze up from lack of use + road salt before that happens

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

"I believe I did, Bob."

the whole "any user input is an error" sounds like Elon adopted some AI team's internal "vision zero" equivalent to high AI quality ("the AI is so smart it knows what you want") which is pretty much impossible to attain--even a cab driver or chauffeur requires your input from time to time--and just decided to turn it into a marketing and quality control talking point.

Like the equivalent is him going "ah I guess the type checker needs to be smarter" every time a car crashes.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

College Slice

Zamujasa posted:

its called all wheel drive, not all wheel brake

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

MononcQc posted:

the whole "any user input is an error" sounds like Elon adopted some AI team's internal "vision zero" equivalent to high AI quality ("the AI is so smart it knows what you want") which is pretty much impossible to attain--even a cab driver or chauffeur requires your input from time to time--and just decided to turn it into a marketing and quality control talking point.

Like the equivalent is him going "ah I guess the type checker needs to be smarter" every time a car crashes.

completely and totally wrong

it sounds like elon dictated this to the ai team and fired anyone who tried to explain to him why it may be a bit challenging

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

elon musk when someone tells him why he can't just be immortal:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

mystes posted:

This person's story has probably already been posted but lol

https://www.thedrive.com/news/43876/tesla-model-3-owner-discovers-car-was-delivered-missing-a-brake-pad

After all this I can't believe that she's "conflicted" about whether to keep the car. Like no, you should definitely just return it at that point.

Lol if you don't think Tesla would make it as difficult as possible for her to return it at this point.

This did make me chuckle though:

quote:

I had no clue that Tesla treated their customers this way prior to this experience.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

maybe elon just sucks at everything. like he’s trying to make a grilled cheese sandwich and burns the poo poo out of it, so almost every human input is an error.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

mystes posted:

This person's story has probably already been posted but lol

https://www.thedrive.com/news/43876/tesla-model-3-owner-discovers-car-was-delivered-missing-a-brake-pad

After all this I can't believe that she's "conflicted" about whether to keep the car. Like no, you should definitely just return it at that point.

always love when these articles end like this

quote:

Since Tesla no longer has a media relations department, The Drive was unable to reach out to the automaker for comment.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Lol if you don't think Tesla would make it as difficult as possible for her to return it at this point.
Lemon laws may help in this situation

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

mystes posted:

if laws only applied to rich people/companies :)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

mystes posted:

lemon laws typically require that the manufacturer fail to correct a defect x number of times. so she'll have to turn her car over to tesla service and have them gently caress it up multiple times (exact number depends on the state) before she's eligible for a new car or a refund (also dependent on the state).

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yeah I guess they don't cover the car not being fixed in a timely way at all, huh.

If she's somewhere that allows it like California she probably should have returned it immediately but she didn't know what the problem was or that it would take forever to fix it I uess.

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 17, 2022

The Wisest Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Oh God, I'm so sorry, I'm trying to delete it

Eeyo posted:

maybe elon just sucks at everything. like he’s trying to make a grilled cheese sandwich and burns the poo poo out of it, so almost every human input is an error.

This hits close to home because I just made a grilled cheese sandwich that turned out poorly :(

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

I'M SCARED OF SKELETONS!!!

https://twitter.com/przemroz/status/1483108151138430978
https://twitter.com/przemroz/status/1483108157215973379

the future of ground-based astronomy lookin bright

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Wisest Moron posted:

This hits close to home because I just made a grilled cheese sandwich that turned out poorly :(

you won't care

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

The Wisest Moron posted:

shoulda shelled out the $12k for full self dining

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

College Slice

Grace Baiting posted:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

Midjack posted:

you won't care

I have eaten many poor quality grilled cheese sandwiches

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Iron Crowned posted:

I have eaten many poor quality grilled cheese sandwiches

even the worst grilled cheese sandwiches are amazing with split pea soup

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

And I'm only saying this because I care.

There are a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market today that are just as tasty as the real thing.

Fun Shoe

Grace Baiting posted:

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

back in april, i had tesla service replace the left side upper control arm due to squeaking. the loaner tesla they gave me was in chill mode because apparently drivers were crashing model s p90ds while in ludicrous mode.

any way, now the right side's squeaking. i used the app to schedule service, and the earliest is on the 7th next month. apparently tesla's been giving out uber vouchers instead of loaners. i'll just wfh if they make me use uber, gently caress that.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

College Slice

i suppose that one way to make good on the claim that owners would be able to use their car as a taxi

using uber vouchers is clever for a short-term fix, seems like it'd get expensive or have weird caveats to avoid them being gouged with surge pricing

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

the vouchers are at a dollar amount. a coworker of mine just had his model s hauled off from his house due to a battery heater issue, and they gave him a $1,200 uber voucher. i wonder if he gets to keep the extra if his car's returned before it runs out.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

College Slice

ah, that's not too bad, then. well, not to bad because it's clear and a sizable amount

i could see that being inadequate with a decent commute if service takes a while compared to a loaner

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, actually...

Nfcknblvbl posted:

if his car's returned before it runs out.

"if"

Agile Vector posted:

if service takes a while

"if"

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

the voucher's nice for him since he can drive his pickup to work, and save the credit for date nights with his wife. i have just the car and a motorcycle in the winter so i just hope it's a beater loaner model s.

edit: in my experience, tesla's been quicker than estimated when it comes to service. they'd ask me to pick my car up, and i'd be glad to since i don't want to drive around in a clapped out model s any way

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 18, 2022

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, actually...

Uber credits are not a replacement for a personal vehicle. If Tesla doesn't have enough cars to give you a loaner while they are repairing their busted vehicle under warranty, they should be paying for you to rent a gas car from Enterprise or whatever

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

i don't get the appeal of the model s. it's bigger than the 3 but that space isnt really usable. the visibility out of the s is so lovely, and the ride quality is very similar to a 90's lincoln town car.

people buy the s just because it costs more i bet

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

that reminds me I need to take the bolt in for a recall related software update let me check when the next available appointment at a Chevy dealership is

lol

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

Nobody Cares

it's weird to imagine how disposable supercars in the hands of our weirdo class lead to wrecks

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

FrozenVent posted:

that reminds me I need to take the bolt in for a recall related software update let me check when the next available appointment at a Chevy dealership is

lol

i scheduled a recall replacement part appt and got one three days out last month

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

https://archive.is/Z1PCL

quote:

A partner at law firm Cooley LLP got an unexpected call late last year from a lawyer for one of the firm’s most famous clients, Elon Musk’s Tesla Inc., with an ultimatum.

The world’s richest man wanted Cooley, which was representing Tesla in numerous lawsuits, to fire one of its attorneys or it would lose the electric-vehicle company’s business, people familiar with the matter said.

The target of Mr. Musk’s ire was a former U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission lawyer whom Cooley had hired for its securities litigation and enforcement practice and who had no involvement in the firm’s work for Tesla. At the SEC, the attorney had interviewed Mr. Musk during the agency’s investigation of the Tesla chief executive’s 2018 tweet claiming, wrongly, to have secured funding to potentially take the electric-vehicle maker private.

Cooley has declined to fire the attorney, who remains an associate at the firm, the people said. Since early December, Tesla has begun taking steps in several cases to replace Cooley or add additional counsel, legal documents show. Mr. Musk’s rocket company Space Exploration Technologies Corp., also known as SpaceX, has stopped using Cooley for regulatory work, according to people familiar with the matter.

What a loving lovely thin skinned baby he is.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Just another skinny legend.

mrmcd posted:

A thin-skinned baby who is doing the literal exact opposite of what you want to do in that situation. Now, any government/state attorneys who are going after Tesla know that they have a 0% chance of ever landing a cushy corporate gig with them, so there is no need to play nice with a potential future employer.

The firm clearly wants to keep this reputation, which is why they're willing to lose the Tesla business.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LanceHunter posted:

A thin-skinned baby who is doing the literal exact opposite of what you want to do in that situation. Now, any government/state attorneys who are going after Tesla know that they have a 0% chance of ever landing a cushy corporate gig with them, so there is no need to play nice with a potential future employer.

The firm clearly wants to keep this reputation, which is why they're willing to lose the Tesla business.

besides, its not like elon's companies pay on time

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

Nobody Cares

mrmcd posted:

jfc

For engagements with the feds regarding security matters, we hired an ex-Defense Security Services guy

For engagements with the Department of State and Commerce, we hired someone on one of their mutual advisory boards about trade issues

For engagements with the service branches on insider risk topics, we hired an insider risk expert from a service branch.

Sponsored project closeouts? Hired someone who worked opposite us at a federal agency. Federal Acquisitions Regulations? There's tons of contract officers out there! Handling intellectual law issues in Delaware? Georgia? Texas? Tons of expert government lawyers / clerks are looking for work.

For a man who once bragged about how useful it is to have a Republican Senator on speed dial, it's amazing how little Elon understands about navigating American business.

Christ Almighty until recently I could have Chuck Grassley be made aware of a sufficiently messy issue if I could get the empathetic ear of any one of several people I've worked for, and I'm just some policy/IT drone.

loving Elon, man

speak crudely and carry a large grift, I guess

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

yeah i cant imagine why id want a former sec prosecutor who specifically worked my case on my defense team. obviously everyone is just as personally invested and vindictive as i am. - channeling Elon Musk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

ryde posted:

yeah i cant imagine why id want a former sec prosecutor who specifically worked my case on my defense team. obviously everyone is just as personally invested and vindictive as i am. - channeling Elon Musk

He wasn’t even working on Tesla stuff. He just happened to be employed by the firm that Tesla used.