Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nfcknblvbl posted:

don't we have a somewhat decent-ish immigration policy to battle this though?

Yes, but when they talk about low birth rates, they mean white people only.

https://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2022/05/23/how-replacement-theory-moved-from-the-fringes-to-the-mainstream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
yeah note "replacement rate" prominently on the graph. it's a dogwhistle

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

"my white privilege :("

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nfcknblvbl posted:

in what universe do you see a white South African billionaire considering mass immigration a decent alternative to replacement

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there are almost no discussions about birthrate that aren't directly adjacent to eugenics, trafficking and a bunch of other extremely ill poo poo

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

qirex posted:

there are almost no discussions about birthrate that aren't directly adjacent to eugenics, trafficking and a bunch of other extremely ill poo poo

Also: usually quickly followed by: "...and that's why women belong in the home!"

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

i'm still having to adjust to the fact that this whole white replacement theory thing is mainstream now, as if that's a problem in the slightest

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nfcknblvbl posted:

legal immigration is still less than half of what it was in 2016.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

legal immigration is still less than half of what it was in 2016.

and our republicans (and old dog dems) would like to keep it this way. it's a heck of a lot easier to suppress illegal immigrants with threats to deport them so they don't complain about harsh working conditions and bad pay.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nfcknblvbl posted:

he's been insisting for years that declining birthrates are going to destroy all of humanity, worldwide

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/882939670895755264
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1283218156815699969
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1415348519381217281
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1523045544536723456

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i didn't understand why elon kept posting about birth rates, but the racism explanation makes sense.

people having less kids is literally not a problem at all and objectively great for the future of humanity. but if you hate poc then it's scary.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

US population fifty years ago: 209.9 million
Now: 329.5 million

hmmmmmmm

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
here's your reminder that the richest, smartest man in the world managed to procreate at least 7 times and doesn't support any of his children

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

we can watch japan as an analog for that. their immigration policy basically is nonexistent so we can see this all play out 50 years before it becomes a problem anywhere else. i think their population growth will tick back up a bit after the boomers all die off.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

The USA has public policy that is actively hostile to the very notion of having children

If any of these weirdos was serious they'd be advocating for subsidies for kids (like the child tax credit but way more robust), but maybe there's just no way to say publicly that they only want it for white people. yet

Like those quiverful people get tons of community money from the church, no?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

absolutely staggering how loving dumb this guy is

mystes
May 31, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah note "replacement rate" prominently on the graph. it's a dogwhistle
Technically I think "replacement rate" is just a standard term for the rate that would be required to not have any change but I guess that doesn't mean Elon can't be intentionally tweeting it as a dogwhistle

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

japan's real problem is population distribution, not the sheer number of people [which is also a problem but moving more slowly]. most people under 60 move to a major city which undercuts availability of services for the older people who remain in smaller communities. you can't staff a hospital if nobody who isn't retired lives nearby

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

mystes posted:

Technically I think "replacement rate" is a standard term but I guess that doesn't mean Elon can't be intentionally tweeting it as a dogwhistle

it is, and that's probably why it's actually in quotations. i imagine WSJ was probably trying to avoid the implication by doing that but imo it just draws attention to it and in common vernacular "replacement rate" doesn't mean what it actually does

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

8 billion people on the planet

WE'RE RUNNING OUT OF PEOPLE!!!!

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

if the biggest risk to humanity is that we all decided to die out because we just can't be bothered then it might be for the best

mystes
May 31, 2006

qirex posted:

japan's real problem is population distribution, not the sheer number of people [which is also a problem but moving more slowly]. most people under 60 move to a major city which undercuts availability of services for the older people who remain in smaller communities. you can't staff a hospital if nobody who isn't retired lives nearby
To the extent that the US doesn't have the the same level of problem of rural depopulation as Japan I'm not it's a good thing either? If rather than everyone moving to the cities because otherwise they can't get an jobs except lovely low-pay menial work we've somehow created a situation where people can't get good jobs in rural areas but they still can't/won't move to cities I'm not sure it's better.

And it's not like rural people in the us necessarily have great availability of medical care now either (and it's not going to get better)

However I guess either way "depopulation" itself isn't necessarily such a huge problem for a capitalist country that's okay just telling old people to gently caress off and die when there aren't enough working age people to support them which makes it kind of dumb that chuds are so obsessed with it (but racism of course)

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 24, 2022

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

mystes posted:

To the extent that the US doesn't have the the same level of problem of rural depopulation as Japan I'm not it's a good thing either? If rather than everyone moving to the cities because otherwise they can't get an jobs except lovely low-pay menial work we've somehow created a situation where people can't get good jobs in rural areas but they still can't/won't move to cities I'm not sure it's better.

And it's not like rural people in the us necessarily have great availability of medical care now either (and it's not going to get better)

not to mention that being a carer is exactly the sort of low paid work that people are trying to get away from.

the real solution is to pay people well for important jobs that need doing but that will probably require people to pay some taxes so i guess it's impossible to solve

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it's racism. it's always racism. as far as I know every discussion in japan about immigration begins and ends with "we must preserve our unique culture"

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

mystes posted:

Technically I think "replacement rate" is just a standard term for the rate that would be required to not have any change but I guess that doesn't mean Elon can't be intentionally tweeting it as a dogwhistle

yes, as a technical term it has that meaning, but a lot of the right-wing media ecosystem has been talking about the racist "great replacement theory" since the shooting in Buffalo a couple weeks back, and it is entirely in keeping with Musk's recent posting for this to be a deliberate dogwhistle to right-wingers

e: also, I don't think I'm climbing out on a limb to say that the racist billionaire who had a statistically-improbable 6 boys in a row, followed by kid #7 being a girl who he has nothing to do with and was kept secret until the baby started crying in the middle of grimes' interview with Vanity Fair... is not discussing matters of breeding and fertility rates in good faith

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 24, 2022

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

“unsustainable”, for the “last fifty years” lol

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

elon dropping eugenicist takes is a sign there’s more bad news coming

when he starts talking about how apartheid was good, actually we’ll know poo poo is about to go down

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

in a well actually posted:

elon dropping eugenicist takes is a sign there’s more bad news coming

when he starts talking about how apartheid was good, actually we’ll know poo poo is about to go down

waiting for the docuseries starring Brent Spiner

mystes
May 31, 2006

qirex posted:

it's racism. it's always racism. as far as I know every discussion in japan about immigration begins and ends with "we must preserve our unique culture"
I mean yeah the Japanese government's official position is that they don't want immigration. This means that they have to keep creating intentionally lovely programs for foreign workers that can't possibly fulfill the purposes they created for. It's eventually probably going to destroy the economy and result in mass deaths in understaffed nursing homes.

The US is also racist as gently caress but luckily we aren't quite that stupid yet so e.g. we have lots of middle eastern immigrants working as doctors in rural areas instead of having no medical care.

I'm sure white supremacists don't actually care about the possible negative consequences of restricting immigration though.

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 24, 2022

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
f scott fitzgerald nailed this kind of rich white guy racial panic bullshit almost a century ago

tom buchanan posted:

Have you read ‘The Rise of the Colored Empires’ by this man Goddard?… Well, it’s a fine book, and everybody ought to read it. The idea is if we don’t look out the white race will be — will be utterly submerged. It’s all scientific stuff; it’s been proved…This fellow has worked out the whole thing. It’s up to us, who are the dominant race, to watch out or those other races will have control of things…The idea is that we’re Nordics. I am, and you are, and we’ve produced all the things that go to make civilization — oh, science and art, and all that. Do you see?
my favorite detail: 'buchanan' isnt a nordic or even anglo-saxon name

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

FMguru posted:

f scott fitzgerald nailed this kind of rich white guy racial panic bullshit almost a century ago

my favorite detail: 'buchanan' isnt a nordic or even anglo-saxon name

*squints real hard* buchanan is an anglicization of the finnish “pukanen” and therefore nordic qed :eng101:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Beeftweeter posted:

serious post: i am not having children because the future they would grow up in is going to be legit loving horrible regardless of social progress or lack thereof. we just have a dog and (thankfully?) he'll be dead in 10 years

I just like sleeping past 9am on the weekends and actually enjoying travel.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Shifty Pony posted:

I maintain that Honda has found a pretty good balance between "must have a screen", "screens let you do a lot more functions-wise", and "actual buttons are best for driving safety".
I loving lived the iDrive system in the BMW i3. Pretty much everything had a physical button, the screen bits like nav, settings, etc were controlled by a jog dial with a touch sensitive top so you could write letters out.

I don't need to awkwardly reach over and play with a screen to scroll through music and poo poo. It rocked.

CommieGIR posted:

Yelchinposting
Wow. If I were the surviving family, I would have gone after lint in the pockets of those dealership owners. Just loving callous.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 24, 2022

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

https://twitter.com/PadmaLakshmi/status/1526205871646248961

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

mrmcd posted:

I just like sleeping past 9am on the weekends and actually enjoying travel.

yeah it owns. i choose my own hours, my wife is at work now and our dog is lazy as gently caress too so he generally doesn't wake up unless we do, lol

that said my wife does baby him to the extent that his name is literally baby (아기, "eggy"). sometimes we get weird looks when we bring him along shopping or whatever but it's becoming increasingly common around here (i guess that makes us influencers, gently caress) and idgaf, so whatever

FilthyImp posted:

I loving lived the iDrive system in the BMW i3. Pretty much everything had a physical button, the screen bits like nav, settings, etc were controlled by a jog dial with a touch sensitive top so you could write letters out.

I don't need to awkwardly reach over and play with a screen to scroll through music and poo poo. It rocked.

the last car i had was an audi s3 and the MMI thing was like this, it was actually pretty great and had a ton of physical buttons and a secondary screen where the speedometer is

like i said before though, most other cars are designed by car designers. teslas are not

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
elon likes to pretend it's just worrying about a shortage of young people to do the manual labor and take care of old people

but he's also promised that by 2023, he'll be building autonomous humanoid robots capable of replacing human laborers completely, so there's no way he could possibly be worrying about something like that

so that just leaves racism

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mystes posted:

I'm sure white supremacists don't actually care about the possible negative consequences of restricting immigration though.
one of our primary heroic archetypes is someone who refuses to change, even unto death and the lost cause of the confederacy is a model for white supremacists so this shouldn't be surprising

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Whoops looks like if you are weird racist revanchists and actually prevent immigrants from coming to your country the cheap labor pool dries up and the proles start getting scary ideas

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

he's also promised that by 2023, he'll be building autonomous humanoid robots capable of replacing human laborers completely, so there's no way he could possibly be worrying about something like that

hm. perhaps this is neuralink's purpose, and that tesla "robot" was a test run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

hm. perhaps this is neuralink's purpose, and that tesla "robot" was a test run

a monkey with a weeping head wound that died on stage would certainly be a better metaphor for elon musk's product strategy than a dancer in a spandex suit