Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

I really hope this thread produces another newsworthy $TSLA tidbit. godspeed, iospace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

prisoner of waffles posted:

I really hope this thread produces another newsworthy $TSLA tidbit. godspeed, iospace

This is just the info I've gleaned from the thread. It's entirely possible that Tesla owned the tracks and ripped them up in a fit of pique, as well.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

See, the real dumb thing, and I mentioned this before, is Tesla wants to hit production targets. It appears they're doing this by making the car and calling it done the moment it rolls of the line, regardless of state and rework needed. Who needs trains to ship your product when over 80% of it needs to go back! :v:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

iospace posted:

This is a very recent development, given Google Maps shows that the tracks are in place as recent as this year on both satellite and map views (2018).

how can you tell when google imagery is from?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

it's a watermark in the bottom corner iirc, and there's also some like "historical" mode where you can see older versions on a timeline (at least in google earth)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cocoa Crispies posted:

It says imagery is from 2018 on the bottom right corner (as pointed out). One would assume map data would be updated before satellite imagery, which only updates as fast as the satellite swings overhead.

Which is in a polar orbit, if you guys are wondering.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the photos are taken from planes, not satellites, so its even more infrequent than an orbital period

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

iospace posted:

Which is in a polar orbit, if you guys are wondering.

sun-synchronous or gtfo :smugdog:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Slippery Tilde
google maps imagery is from the summer of 2016

here's what it looked like as of april of this year

the dirt pile appears to have replaced the industrial spur in march of last year

but more notably it looks like they sold half of their parking lot to developers sometime near march 2016 (which contained most of their other spur) which is when they started converting their container storage to more parking

https://i.imgur.com/grL4Xzk.mp4

(gif starts in 2014)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pseudorandom name posted:

the photos are taken from planes, not satellites, so its even more infrequent than an orbital period

you're right but if you zoom all the way out they use "live" satellite data now, it even shows clouds n' poo poo it's neat

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

google maps imagery is from the summer of 2016

here's what it looked like as of april of this year

the dirt pile appears to have replaced the industrial spur in march of last year

but more notably it looks like they sold half of their parking lot to developers sometime near march 2016 (which contained most of their other spur) which is when they started converting their container storage to more parking

https://i.imgur.com/grL4Xzk.mp4

(gif starts in 2014)

im the fraction of a second when the thing in the middle turns into a lake and a giant dirt pile and then back into a parking lot

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

oh that's the loop point, it didn't seem like that at all because it freezes on a different frame, weird

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Slippery Tilde
and yeah all the stuff that does daily orbital passes like eosdis (that's available to the public) is way too low to resolve something like a building

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Here's my thoughts on the two spurs now that I think about it some more:

I think the southern, closer to factory spur, was used to load up cars from that factory. The northern, further away spur, was used as a delivery point for cars which didn't come from that factory and then would be loaded on to truck based carriers and delivered to dealers. It would make sense to set it up like that, and I'm sure UP liked it, because it meant they could unload the racks, then shuffle them over to the loading facility without much distance between the two. Tesla, with no practical need for the northern spur, likely sold it off. That's fine. Ripping out the southern spur is going to really bite them in the rear end down the line.

For what it's worth, the 9/2/2016 imagery has the southern spur intact, but the northern one gone. The loading ramps are still there. The 3/11/2017 imagery has the crossover road being paved, and the rail gone.

e:

They built the tent factory over the loving spur :laffo:

iospace fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 12, 2018

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

qirex posted:

in popular culture I call this "magic smart powers" where characters in books/tv/movies who are smart are capable of literally anything

elon musk was able to build this in a tent! with a box of scraps!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm pretty sure I'm right in regards to the purpose of the two spurs now. The northern spur was used by GM/Toyota to unload cars that weren't made in Fremont, then the empty racks were shuffled to the southern spur to be loaded with new cars. The cars that were unloaded are then distributed to dealers in the Bay Area. The presence of car carriers on the northern side of the property all but confirms that.

From a logistics standpoint, that makes sense, because you're effectively filling the racks up right after you empty them. Tesla, not having a second factory and as diverse of a product line, sold off the old distribution lot and ripped the northern spur up first. A little shortsighted, but I can't entirely fault them here.

(image dated 8/31/2008)

I'm still curious as to why they ripped up the southern spur, there has to be a reason as to why beyond "well, we need the space for the TENT FACTORY"

iospace fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 12, 2018

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

iospace posted:

(image dated 8/31/2008)

it looks so...orderly.

mewse
May 2, 2006

President Beep posted:

it looks so...orderly.

It's like some kinda established industry where they aren't building cars in tents

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So yeah, the long and short of it, Tesla is banking on their self-driving semis to be able to save the day, or else someone bites on Hyperloop at this point.

Or it's a massive scam. YOU DECIDE

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

iospace posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm right in regards to the purpose of the two spurs now. The northern spur was used by GM/Toyota to unload cars that weren't made in Fremont, then the empty racks were shuffled to the southern spur to be loaded with new cars. The cars that were unloaded are then distributed to dealers in the Bay Area. The presence of car carriers on the northern side of the property all but confirms that.

From a logistics standpoint, that makes sense, because you're effectively filling the racks up right after you empty them. Tesla, not having a second factory and as diverse of a product line, sold off the old distribution lot and ripped the northern spur up first. A little shortsighted, but I can't entirely fault them here.

(image dated 8/31/2008)

I'm still curious as to why they ripped up the southern spur, there has to be a reason as to why beyond "well, we need the space for the TENT FACTORY"

musk used the rails as skids for the tent assembly line and then dig a tunnel underneath it so they could return the skids

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

endlessmonotony posted:

Equating all autistic people with Musk's ridiculous bullshit is rather offensive, don't you think?

For every Chris-Chan or Musk there's a dozen boring nerds.

reminder that Chris Chan is a trans woman and much of her irrational behavior is a result of kiwi farms stalking and harrassing her for the grave crime of being weird online.

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
what in the living gently caress is a spur

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Slippery Tilde
they're what you grow outta your bones to dodge the draft

mewse
May 2, 2006

GenJoe posted:

what in the living gently caress is a spur

small pieces of bone that prevent you getting sent to 'nam

e: f,b

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lmao

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Real talk: it's a bit of rail that ends at a business to allow the railroad company to make deliveries

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
who usually owns those things? is it pretty much like a driveway (owned by the business), only for trains?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

jit bull transpile posted:

reminder that Chris Chan is a trans woman and much of her irrational behavior is a result of kiwi farms stalking and harrassing her for the grave crime of being weird online.

whoa, last i heard he was a guy who loved blue hedgehogs but hated black humans
being weird online tho, that checks out

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

President Beep posted:

who usually owns those things? is it pretty much like a driveway (owned by the business), only for trains?

Yes, but I don't know who exactly owned the Tesla spurs

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

iospace posted:

So yeah, the long and short of it, Tesla is banking on their self-driving semis to be able to save the day, or else someone bites on Hyperloop at this point.

Or it's a massive scam. YOU DECIDE

well that's one way to force your investors to go along with your hare-brained schemes

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Slippery Tilde

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

hating black humans and homosexuals and premarital sex

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

i found out only a few months ago that she was a trans woman. kinda weird how the internet stalkers who talk about her all the time kinda ignore that part, huh?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

prisoner of waffles posted:

ahh, but if only it could be turned into a car analogy

Smart people are like fast cars - they can be good, or they can be a Tesla, and either way they're driven by vanity.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

tbf the 4chan psychological warfare started well before she came out as a woman, when she was just an autistic person who was way, way too into sonic sonichu

i can't imagine that being trans has made it any easier though

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

reminder that there are/were two goons who met irl based on their shared love of stalking chris-chan and later got married

same ones that had the anecdote about keeping a cold pizza under the bed for midnight snacking iirc

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

same ones that had the anecdote about keeping a cold pizza under the bed for midnight snacking iirc

:wtc:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sagebrush posted:

gross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sagebrush posted:

reminder that there are/were two goons who met irl based on their shared love of stalking chris-chan and later got married

loving hell. the internet is a toilet