Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

i hear he beats his girlfriends and then forces NDAs on them

I hear he torments his wives and then forces his DNA on them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

i hear he sucks

foonykins
Jun 15, 2010

stop with the small talk

guy in my d&d group said he can’t make it next week cause he’s flying out to audit the gigafactory.

told him he’s going to have one hell of a time and to come back with anything juicy he can. told him about the union pacific thing and this thread and he just shook his head and groaned as he walked out.

will report back to this thread with any info he’s willing to give up. i hope musky doesn’t have him murdered, he’s our only cleric

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

foonykins posted:

guy in my d&d group said he can’t make it next week cause he’s flying out to audit the gigafactory.

told him he’s going to have one hell of a time and to come back with anything juicy he can. told him about the union pacific thing and this thread and he just shook his head and groaned as he walked out.

will report back to this thread with any info he’s willing to give up. i hope musky doesn’t have him murdered, he’s our only cleric

:munch:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

foonykins posted:

:pray:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Chris Knight posted:

I hear he torments his wives and then forces his DNA on them

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

foonykins posted:

tank or healer?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

all of the traditional manufacturers' marketing departments, looking at tesla:

https://i.imgur.com/RSwnLQM.mp4

like you wouldn't think that "we can get all the parts we need to build our cars, and put them together properly, and also get them shipped to you reasonably quickly" would be a very powerful argument but, well, here we are
I'm wondering if this will be the beginning of the end of Tesla's perceived market dominance or maybe even Tesla itself. With all the big manufacturers coming to market with pure electric vehicles within the next year or so Audi, Porsche, etc will pick off the top end because they can build actual luxury vehicles while leveraging savings by using parts from their other luxury vehicles while GM, Toyota, and others capture the value segment of the market because they can build vehicles cheaper.

One of the big criticisms of Audi's electric vehicle is that it accelerates slightly slower than a Model S. I'm wondering if 1/2 a second difference in 0-60 matters to potential buyers as much as the overall fit and finish, interior, and build quality.

Tesla seems to have squandered their advantage and never got their manufacturing sorted out.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Tesla is a dead man walking

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Tesla is a dead man walking

dead man walking across the street and getting plowed into by a driverless vehicle whose emergency brakes were disabled

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Mr. Apollo posted:

Tesla has squandered their advantage because they never got their manufacturing sorted out.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

also their ceo is a brat, and that doesn't help

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mr. Apollo posted:

I'm wondering if this will be the beginning of the end of Tesla's perceived market dominance or maybe even Tesla itself. With all the big manufacturers coming to market with pure electric vehicles within the next year or so Audi, Porsche, etc will pick off the top end because they can build actual luxury vehicles while leveraging savings by using parts from their other luxury vehicles while GM, Toyota, and others capture the value segment of the market because they can build vehicles cheaper.

One of the big criticisms of Audi's electric vehicle is that it accelerates slightly slower than a Model S. I'm wondering if 1/2 a second difference in 0-60 matters to potential buyers as much as the overall fit and finish, interior, and build quality.

Tesla seems to have squandered their advantage and never got their manufacturing sorted out.

Tesla's big problem is the Model 3 as a whole. They rushed it into production, primarily to beat other makers to the "cheap EV" punch, with an unfeasible goal while the other two models still had major issues with fit and finish. What Tesla should have done is iron out the S and X, start mass producing them with actual good fit and finish, then use those lessons to make the Model 3 a decent car. Now people who want a cheap EV are going "Well, I could get a Leaf or a Bolt right now, or I could gamble on a Model 3..." and they're going to take the safe option because not everyone is a fanboy.

Of course, most of this is beating a dead horse at this point.

e: with VAG's offerings coming out soon, the S is coming under fire, especially with the fit and finish quality it still has, and the X will likely be soon too. Had they focused on fixing that up they'd probably be sitting pretty, but my entire view of the whole 3 saga has always been "Tesla is overextending itself and it's going to fail hard."

edit fake edit: I know one of you fuckers are going to laugh at VAG.

iospace fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 20, 2018

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

iospace posted:

Tesla's big problem is the Model 3 as a whole. They rushed it into production, primarily to beat other makers to the "cheap EV" punch, with an unfeasible goal while the other two models still had major issues with fit and finish. What Tesla should have done is iron out the S and X, start mass producing them with actual good fit and finish, then use those lessons to make the Model 3 a decent car.

Of course, most of this is beating a dead horse at this point.

If they didn't rush the 3 there would have been no market left for them with the big manufacturers moving in that direction. Rushing the model 3 so they could ramp up scale of manufacturing and distribution makes sense considering the position they were in and was probably their only opportunity to establish themselves as anything more than a boutique brand but they squandered that with a continuous string of unforced errors.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

If they didn't rush the 3 there would have been no market left for them with the big manufacturers moving in that direction. Rushing the model 3 so they could ramp up scale of manufacturing and distribution makes sense considering the position they were in and was probably their only opportunity to establish themselves as anything more than a boutique brand but they squandered that with a continuous string of unforced errors.

That's also true, but I will say they also could have pulled off an Apple-like scenario where they got beaten to the punch on a smartphone (low-mid 5 figure EVs), but because of prior reputation (the S being it's iPod), they could have still made significant inroads into that segment of the market. They have a similar cult-like following, though because the 3 is failing as hard as it is, it's not going to happen.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

akadajet posted:

also their ceo is a brat, and that doesn't help
Yeah, that's a huge issue. Instead of getting production and logistics sorted out , he's focusing on all sorts of "cool features" or getting into Twitter slap fights. The board of directors doesn't seem to care about reigning him in. I'm guessing they figure Musk is a Jobs like figure and he is the company so if he goes then consumers will lose confidence/interest in Tesla.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
re rushing model 3:
they also desperately needed cash or at least convince investors that they had a path to profitability

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
infographic: Figurative map of successive mistakes and accumulated technical debt in factories of $TSLA in the Model 3 campaign 2016-2018

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

as i've commented before i think the easy way forward would have been to remain a luxury car maker, the s/x didn't need that much work to be very legit in that segment, and then partner up with an existing manufacturer, providing drivetrains for a cheap design they get to slap together and competently build.

that would not at all have motivated their valuation though, ending investor storytime, which would be an extremely hard sell on the tesla board even if one of the members were to suggest it

can't just blame musk, it is the vc/sv culture ruining what at its core was a decent thing here

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Maybe but with Apple's rise they were competing against amazingly incompetent manufacturers that were just pulling out of the parts bin. Auto manufacturers are way better and more ruthless than that and if Tesla doesn't get up to speed with their own supply chain they're likely to get locked out of their suppliers as the competition ramps up, exactly what Apple did to all the Android OEMs

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Raytheon: Weaponizing Flowers.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Maybe but with Apple's rise they were competing against amazingly incompetent manufacturers that were just pulling out of the parts bin. Auto manufacturers are way better and more ruthless than that and if Tesla doesn't get up to speed with their own supply chain they're likely to get locked out of their supply chain as the competition ramps up, exactly what Apple did to all the Android OEMs

Point. Also helping Apple was RIM sitting on their rear end, but the whole Android family took over after that. Also Apple had a much larger product portfolio to fall back on.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

as i've commented before i think the easy way forward would have been to remain a luxury car maker, the s/x didn't need that much work to be very legit in that segment, and then partner up with an existing manufacturer, providing drivetrains for a cheap design they get to slap together and competently build.

that would not at all have motivated their valuation though, ending investor storytime, which would be an extremely hard sell on the tesla board even if one of the members were to suggest it

can't just blame musk, it is the vc/sv culture ruining what at its core was a decent thing here

Death to capitalism.

Death to cars.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Maybe but with Apple's rise they were competing against amazingly incompetent manufacturers that were just pulling out of the parts bin. Auto manufacturers are way better and more ruthless than that and if Tesla doesn't get up to speed with their own supply chain they're likely to get locked out of their suppliers as the competition ramps up, exactly what Apple did to all the Android OEMs

i think part of their problem is the absolute hubris that lead them to believe the big three were somehow operationally inefficient, and they'd just roll in and disrupt the manufacturing industry. like there wasn't a century of iterative improvements streamlining their competitors' processes

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

iospace posted:

What Tesla should have done is iron out the S and X, start mass producing them with actual good fit and finish, then use those lessons to make the Model 3 a decent car.

tesla is trying to iron out the model s, but the lessons are flowing the wrong direction

they are trying to make the model s more like the model 3 in order to further pad their profit margin

iospace posted:

edit fake edit: I know one of you fuckers are going to laugh at VAG.

pronunciation of the initialism is never the most laughable thing about a VAG effort to push into new territories

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

pronunciation of the initialism is never the most laughable thing about a VAG effort to push into new territories

:golfclap:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

tesla doesn't believe the auto industry has anything worthwhile to pick from so they have an unusually integrated supply chain

their single biggest supplier is panasonic, not exactly a part of the incumbent auto manufacturing industry

afaik the only real "auto" company they rely on is ZF

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

tesla doesn't believe the auto industry has anything worthwhile to pick from so they have an unusually integrated supply chain

their single biggest supplier is panasonic, not exactly a part of the incumbent auto manufacturing industry

For the drive train on the Teslas, I can understand that to a point, the rest is just arrogance and hubris.

the onion wizard
Apr 14, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

like you wouldn't think that "we can get all the parts we need to build our cars, and put them together properly, and also get them shipped to you reasonably quickly" would be a very powerful argument but, well, here we are

don't forget: doesn't get totalled if you look at it funny

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Yeah, and when the auto manufacturers need batteries en mass for their EVs they're either going to write a much bigger check to Panasonic for dedicated manufacturing lines or they're going to ramp up other suppliers who are going to start locking up the resource markets to make the things and hurt Tesla either way

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

the onion wizard posted:

don't forget: doesn't get totalled if you look at it funny

i still don't understand why they made the drat bumper a critical structural part of the car. does anyone know what their stated reason is for this? i could never own a car where I'm terrified of doing things such as "parallel parking" and "putting the car in reverse, ever"

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

They have a few other auto industry suppliers like Mercedes (supplies switch gear and is an investor), Magna, and Fisher but part of Tesla's problems is they've gone to these suppliers and asked them to supply them with parts according to Tesla's "disruptive" manufacturing processes. The suppliers of course say "lol no" because they're set up to supply the large automotive manufacturers who use standard practices for their supply chains and logistics. So Tesla, instead of thinking that maybe they should change their practices to match the rest of the industry who has been doing this for over 100 years, decided to try and force the suppliers' logistic processes into their own processes which leads to shortages or over supply of parts at various times.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I don't think its so much the bumper itself as there being crumble zones built in to the frame further in

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I don't think its so much the bumper itself as there being crumble zones built in to the frame further in
Apparently the bumper falling off is due to Tesla cost cutting. They reduced the number of anchor points for the bumper and got rid of the liner so in heavy rain water collected in the rear bumper weighing it down until it fell off. Tesla said this was a unique situation that didn't occur during testing (which was all done in Southern California).

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Chris Knight posted:

I hear he torrents his wives and then forces his DNA on them

you can do that these days?

/puts glasses on

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Apparently the bumper falling off is due to Tesla cost cutting. They reduced the number of anchor points for the bumper and got rid of the liner so in heavy rain water collected in the rear bumper weighing it down until it fell off. Tesla said this was a unique situation that didn't occur during testing (which was all done in Southern California).

i think they're referring to the minor low speed collision that lead to a dented bumper and the car being completely written off

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/8bbfo2/all_it_takes_to_total_a_100000_car_is_a_little/

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

lmfao

reading through that thread and looking at other threads in the subreddit is incredible. the slightest criticism is met with hostility and they immediately start questioning the original poster. Some guy posted about the suspension arm breaking on his car (a known issue) and people immediately start wondering why it has such low mileage. Does he not enjoy driving the car? If he likes the car so much why doesn't he use it more? He obviously doesn't like the car so he's purposely posting problems he has to try and damage Tesla's reputation.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 20, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

infernal machines posted:

i think they're referring to the minor low speed collision that lead to a dented bumper and the car being completely written off

even though you're right, i hadn't heard yet that the bumper was because of a bunch of the welds they decided to cut because they were superfluous. :lol:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

even though you're right, i hadn't heard yet that the bumper was because of a bunch of the welds they decided to cut because they were superfluous. :lol:

it's not, they didn't bolt it on properly and they didn't attach the fairing right so it fills with water if you drive over a puddle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there were a bunch of tweets showing water damage to the trunk area and missing screws/bolts in and around the wheel wells